Vocal Formants / Singing Vowels : EXPLAINED EASILY! - Robert Lunte

Rate this topic

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

Robert Lunte, founder of The Vocalist Studio explains what the formant and the significance of acoustics in singing. For the first time, a voice coach on YouTube can properly explain vocal formants. To learn more about The Vocalist Studio training program for singers, "The Four Pillars of Singing", CLICK HERE:

Formant is also used to mean an acoustic resonance. In acoustics, it refers to a peak in the sound envelope and/or to a resonance in sound sources, notably in singing. In singing pedagogy and phonetics, it refers to the resonance of the human vocal tract. Formant is often measured as an amplitude peak in the frequency spectrum of the sound, using a spectrogram (a special instrument or software that maps vocal frequencies) or a spectrum analyzer.  Peaks in the harmonic spectrum define the tone quality of sound color in a voice, distinguish the vowels and provide vocal ‘ring’, ‘presence’ or ‘quality’. 

In the simplest terms  â€œthe formant is not the resonant space itself, but the measurement of resonant energy in the resonant space (for our purposes the vocal tract)”.  Most formants are produced by “tube” and “chamber resonance”.  For example, when singing, the upper vocal tract, the resonators, the pharyngeal space, soft palette, the throat, and the mouth combine to create this chamber resonance.

By no means am I pretending that this is a complete explanation of formants in singing, it is a very complex topic. However, this is an attempt to just sort out the main ideas for students of singing, so they can grasp some basic understanding of the topic, which is all that is really needed to get some benefit for your singing.

Singing Vowels & Formants - BEST EXPLANATION ON YOUTUBE! 

I partnered with Dr. Donald Miller to offer a digital download of his Voce Vista Software as well.. which allows you to better understand vocal formants. It is an application that works on PCs ONLY... and it is for purchase. I thought I would place that here as well, given the topic. Hope this is helpful.

Voce Vista Formant Software For Singers

Awesome, Robert. That is how I have been understanding it and I started from an idea some years ago that loosely, mind you, vowels made formants. Formant is not the physical space but an effect of a properly aligned physiology.

• Administrator

Alot of school, but it's abit better now getting back to singing :) how are you Rob?

Working on P4.0... producing new videos regarding vowels and the new TVS acoustic modes, doing a lot of mixing in the studio for my EP... singing more these days and recording...