Rise Against - Swing Life Away

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey, so I'm just trying to work on singing to go with my guitar playing. Maybe it's just that whole phenomenon where most people don't like their own voice, but I'm not digging my singing that much. So I thought I'd post it up here to see what others thought/for advice. Guitar's in drop half tuning. The more brutally honest the better ;) Because I plan to work exceptionally hard to improve and mean comments only give me more motivation and makes me more dedicated!

2 take 2
Thanks!

PS. I hope to continue using these forums! Been reading them for a while now.

Hey there, I just listened to your clip! :)

To me, your tone sounds pretty nice. However, the thing that could be improved the most is your breathing. For some of the notes, it sounded flat pitchwise and I think the reason (based on my own experiences) is because your not supporting your notes. What I mean is, when you sing some of the notes, it sounds like you're singing from shallow breaths. Instead, your breaths should come deep from your diaphragm. To support the note, there should be a bit of a 'firm but flexible' push from your abdominal muscles. If you do this, your notes should sound more on pitch based on my own experiences.

But yeah, have a google on "breathing from the diaphragm for singing". However, let's see what other people say - again, this is all my own opinion. I hope you can improve :)

Yeah, I wasn't able to get that firm push on the notes today for some reason... Felt like the notes were too low pitched or something like that... I'll definitely give it another go and try to focus on better breathing to support the notes though! When I do I'll be sure to edit the first post so people know.

Thanks for the feedback!

I did another take. The tuning is slightly different. And i completely butchered the held note at the end :P. It sounded too flat. Let me know what's wrong with this one please!
(Also edited first post to have the link)

EDIT: Once again ;) blunt criticism so I can work on getting better! Thanks!