national anthem feedback (1st time)

• TMV World Legacy Member

ok so i sang the national anthem at school and got like mixed reactions from it but i kinda just wanted to know what you guys on here thought because were all here for the same thing right? lol! but yeah feedback would be nice, i personally like could have done better though i had a sore throat the same day but like for my first time and memorizing the words i don't think it was "awful" but it wasn't great! but enough of me talking what do you peoples think!

oo also any advice on what i can do next time? better!(:

• TMV World Legacy Member

Never make excuses. Step up, represent. If you had a cold, okay. But you always do the best that you can, regardless, though I don't advise singing with a sore throat. When you give excuses, you give a reason for people to expect you to fail. So, don't.

I know others will say it doesn't matter as long as the vocal folds are not inflamed but sometimes, with discomfort in the throat, you start compensation by changing something else, like breath support or good placement in order to not flex the muscles in the area of the soreness which will affect how you resonate.

You changed keys a few times. That is, you started the song in one key or with one root note, then changed a few more times. So, work on your intervals, distance between notes. But I could hear you putting in a little style, a little r&b trill here and there. Before you worry about that, get the interval of notes right. Then, later, you can noodle around and be able to return to the the true note in whatever part.

I think the last key change was so that you can do the top note, which you did at least half an octave below the traditional arrangement. Francis Scott Key wrote a beast of a song and was not, himself, a singer.

You don't have to sing in the original key. But pick one and stick with it. But you have a good tone of voice and you have the lyrics and timing right.