My own song.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi there,

I am 44y old man and i am from Finland. I have been singing all of my life and i just found that i rather make my own song than make a cover so here it is -- >

>

sorry about my bad english. Please tell me is my voice and the song bad or very bad ;)

Neither the voice or the song are bad, but they don't sound particularly polished either. There are a lot of things going on that I can comment on, some of which may be technical problems, others may be stylistic and or a result of emotion.

The first thing, is you tend to onset a lot of notes with almost like a 'hummph.' It's difficult to articulate this in text, it sounds like you dig into each note really hard at the onset at times. This makes the beginning of some phrases sound abrupt and a bit forceful, and tends to result in a sound of scooping notes. Which is when you undershoot a pitch and the 'pull up into it.' In the right context, it can make sense, but since you wrote this song, I don't know if it is intentional, but it sounds like you might be pushing chest voice

I can hear the pitch matching some kind of diatonic scale, but since it is acapella how well you can match to a backing track is more difficult to say.

You have a sobbing sound, which can be the result of emotional connection with a song. And likewise your voice breaks down, and starts cracking up at one section, which when someone is very emotional (about to cry) is a realistic thing to actually happen. It's possible to make something like that work in a song, but acapella it's a bit more difficult for me to hear the musical context as the melody of the song isn't conveying it the changes.

I think it's more useful for you to ask yourself where you're headed and what you're looking for than whether it sucks or not. We're not going to be able to put it on the radio as is and have a million seller, but there are good things about it. Your timbre is emotional, you have a musical ear. There are definitely a bunch of singing technique things you could likely work on to make it sound more typical of mainstream singing, but what is it you want? Do you want to improve your voice? If you've been singing for your whole life, you obviously like singing. Would you like feedback on songwriting?

"Sucks or not" can't really help anyone achieve any goal. It either sucks or doesn't, and either way, someone isn't that much better off. The more productive question is how might you improve and are you interested in making any changes or is this what you want to express?

Many thanks KillerKu,

I try to put a feeling to the song by singing it like i am about to break into tears and that leads to those break downs and cracks. I really love music and singing, those are part of my life forever.

I really appreciate your comments. It is hard to say what i am looking for and where i am going to with this "hobby". If you like to listen and comment my pure and natural voice i would be very grateful... here is my first YouTube singing, part of " six ribbons " in finnish language ------ > '>

Many thanks KillerKu,

I try to put a feeling to the song by singing it like i am about to break into tears and that leads to those break downs and cracks. I really love music and singing, those are part of my life forever.

I really appreciate your comments. It is hard to say what i am looking for and where i am going to with this "hobby". If you like to listen and comment my pure and natural voice i would be very grateful... here is my first YouTube singing, part of " six ribbons " in finnish language ------ >

'>

This is much more polished, you're scooping and pushing less. Writing your own song is very difficult, particularly without an instrument to accompany you as you have to try to visualize melodies, you made with nothing concrete to imitate.

I agree, singing with authentic emotion is very valuable and in the right context, the right track, those things could work, but I think we'd have to work on getting you some instrumentation backing and if you have any instrument at all, or don't have one you can use a virtual piano like this:

http://virtualpiano.net/

Or download a free trial of fruity loops and use the piano roll:

http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/

So you can use an instrument train your new melodies with. To be honest, your voice sounds pretty good. I am a songwriter, so I know it is extremely difficult to write a song in the first place and to sing it from scratch is tough.

So yeah, I'd really advise you try to find an external pitch source for your original songs to get the pitch memory in your head.

You should keep singing. If there's anything you're interested in improving with your singing, or are looking for help. Most things are possible with training, the right resources (the training programs are very good here) and the right attitude, which is basically, focusing on improvement and not on sucking. :D

This is much more polished, you're scooping and pushing less. Writing your own song is very difficult, particularly without an instrument to accompany you as you have to try to visualize melodies, you made with nothing concrete to imitate.

I agree, singing with authentic emotion is very valuable and in the right context, the right track, those things could work, but I think we'd have to work on getting you some instrumentation backing and if you have any instrument at all, or don't have one you can use a virtual piano like this:

http://virtualpiano.net/

Or download a free trial of fruity loops and use the piano roll:

http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/

So you can use an instrument train your new melodies with. To be honest, your voice sounds pretty good. I am a songwriter, so I know it is extremely difficult to write a song in the first place and to sing it from scratch is tough.

So yeah, I'd really advise you try to find an external pitch source for your original songs to get the pitch memory in your head.

You should keep singing. If there's anything you're interested in improving with your singing, or are looking for help. Most things are possible with training, the right resources (the training programs are very good here) and the right attitude, which is basically, focusing on improvement and not on sucking. :D

You are right, sucking is bad ☺ Thanks for the links and positive feedback. I do not have any instruments but i will try that virtualpiano. It is hard to get singing sound good without any instruments. I will also check those training programs because i like to improve my singing.