what are your thoughts on this guys philosophy

Rate this topic

Jarom

Imo horrible content...some very messed up messages...just because a full time teacher doesent have time to dish out music as some indie artist with too much time on their hand that doesent mean they are not musicians.

Im on mobile so i didnt go thru entire thing but the main premise IMO is dead wrong and i disagree with it

Imo horrible content...some very messed up messages...just because a full time teacher doesent have time to dish out music as some indie artist with too much time on their hand that doesent mean they are not musicians.

Im on mobile so i didnt go thru entire thing but the main premise IMO is dead wrong and i disagree with it

Many professors aren't musicians because they don't practice what they preach. That dosent mean all teachers aren't musicians. Robert Lunte is a teacher and also a great musicians. Aaron is just talking about tamplins famous line "the proof is in the singing". also he talks ablut how you dont need a degree to learn an instrument    

Many professors aren't musicians because they don't practice what they preach. That dosent mean all teachers aren't musicians. Robert Lunte is a teacher and also a great musicians. Aaron is just talking about tamplins famous line "the proof is in the singing". also he talks ablut how you dont need a degree to learn an instrument    

I agree, but its not science what he said there. I learned to play guitar online and i think im preety good, been playing alot live (not anymore) and people gave great feedback, and we played some quite difficult stuff (necrophagist to name one) and i dont have a degree.

But that line "music proffessors are not musicians" is in my honest opinion COMPLETELY wrong...If a man dedicates his life to teaching students music in any form i even give him more praise than to a musician, because possibly he sacrificed great career as a muician so he could teach you and me.

Edit: Re watched and it really bothered me even more.

This guy is nothing but a motivator and doesent really have a clue about music as far as i see.

And what is a musician exactly???????

Is Beyonce who has a FREAKING CREW of ppl writing lyrics melodies and arrangements for her a musician? I would beg to disagree. If a person only has to step inside the "deaf room" and sing some notes, to me its not musician. But Beyoncee gigs and pursues her passion. She won tons of awards also. But does that makes her a musician??? 

In my eyes no. She is an AWESOME singer, but i think musician is something else. In my eyes the age of "performing musicians" is dead in the popular music, simply because the "music game" changed to being a bussiness and nothing else.

If u ask a random citizen whose prefference in music is "i like music", who is better musician Canibal Corpse or Keesha, 99.99% would say Keesha. And how is that for a musicianship. Wiggle your ass and let ppl write you songs has become more "musician-like" than actually sit down with a band and write your own stuff even if its shitty as hell.

Even compare bands like Alice in Chains and Queensryche and Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple with todays "hit chart musicians", and people (vast majority of our peers) will "vote" for the hit charts.

Everything changed. Sure on this forum where people actually care about music are posting songs that has value and stood the test of time.

Todays music is all about sex drugs and not-rock-and-roll.

If i have to buy a song and get naked girls in my music video to be able to be a "musician" and be world renowned, then i would rather sit in a classroom singing do re mi fa so, than be a part of that world.

This guy is approaching the issue you either become Jimi Hendrix and world famous or you're a failure of a musician. The reality is there are session musicians who work behind the scenes in the pop music industry whose ability to read sheet music and perform at a very high level would be valued.

There are backing band members for various major artists for touring purposes whose ability to learn music very quickly and skillfully would be valued. 

There is classical performance which can still be financially viable at a very high level:

http://www.yeodoug.com/articles/text/procon.html

As for bands, Dream Theater met at Berklee college, where they both applied some of the education and used the social network of skilled musicians to get started.

Now would a college education help accelerate your viable skills? Potentially. The thing you have to understand, is most of the pop industry is about image. Many of Britney Spear's backing dancers and backup singers are more skilled at both activities, but she had the right image to be marketed. Discounting skills that might be learned to get a job in the music industry because the person who teaches you dancing and singing is not Britney Spears and doesn't make as much money as she does seems like a narrow view of the issue.

That said, school for older people to pursue music is not necessarily the right choice for everyone. However, by the time you are older, most likely your chances at pop stardom have diminisihed significantly, but no one cares how old the producer is on a pop album, or how old the session pianist was, how old the songwriter who wrote Spear's song was, so you need to think of it in that context. There are a lot of roles in the music industry that are invisible and are not about image.

Organized schooling could accelerate some of these skills and you might as well choose people who are good at these 'skills' rather than people who make money. Britney is probably not the most helpful person to help you sing and dance even though she makes more money doing these things, than her singing coaches and dancing instructors.

There is more than one way to to do music. Life on the road isn't for everyone, not even playing late night gigs... Being a session musician isn't for everyone... and good performers might be bad teachers. 

Teaching, performing, recording, backing - you're making music more accessible. To the masses, or to individuals. Just enjoy it. 

There is more than one way to to do music. Life on the road isn't for everyone, not even playing late night gigs... Being a session musician isn't for everyone... and good performers might be bad teachers. 

Teaching, performing, recording, backing - you're making music more accessible. To the masses, or to individuals. Just enjoy it. 

Exactly this is what i was aiming for. 

There are tons of people only performing on youtube and they are extremely happy with what they do and masses hear them and acknowledge them.

Being a musician is a personal thing and a personal way of "letting it out of you".

I think the guy in the video is a jerk. That being said, whether you are in school or not, play your music somewhere. By 30 if you were going to get a job in music through the school contacts you would have done so by now. This only works when YOU go and seek the employment. Seek employment somewhere. Get started.

The main question you would have to ask yourself is "What do I want to be doing Musically? and "Where do I want to be playing?" If you want to be a Bar musician you do not need all the schooling you need band members who play in the bars and you need to know how to play the 40 or so songs that you will play on your instrument in a night.

Whatever path you wish to take you need to make contact with people who are doing that, and then meet more people who are doing that. Ask about opportunities or if someone knows someone who needs a musician of you caliber.

People think that someone like Madonna or Whooppie Goldberg were just found sitting around on the sidewalk because that is what the press said. NO..... Madonna is related to big named producers and was already a dancer and singer and Whoopie was in a somewhat successful production company. Others who supposedly were broke and living on the street before being "discovered" were living on the street WHILE seeking the employment.  Not just living in their car going to school. They were knocking on doors and going to auditions.

Another thing....  find some kind of alternate job in the mean time.   Many who are now "Famous" did stupid things like wash dishes and clean floors WHILE looking for Acting, Singing or Musical/Artistic work.  You still need to make money.

While I also feel that the statement that teachers are not musicians is erroneous, I think the guy could have done better by saying this. Success as a musician is not found in degrees and academic kudos. And, at 33 years of his age, his client should basically pick a direction and go. The saying I was raised with (cleaned up for here) was "crap or get off the commode."

I might have been as harsh but in a different direction. As in, at 33 years of age, you should be a grown man taking care of yourself and doing something. And it's fine if you don't want to miss a meal or a roof over your head. True story, most everyone in Guns and Roses slept in the storage building where they kept their gear. And more than once. It was more like a residence to them.

Maybe you only have time to pursue music as a hobby. If I were that "consultant" I would say, if you want to work for low wages and get in the music biz, intern at a recording studio. Eventually, you just might accidently earn a paycheck and quit hanging onto your parents.

And yes, working musicians can sometimes not be all that good at teaching. Teaching is not just experience in a field or even technical knowledge. It is also a "people" job and many a person in any field might competent in their field and a total failure at relating to other humans. I have seen that more often than not in my field of work experience.

And others did work whatever job while pursuing music. The singer from the Georgia Satellites mowed lawns during the day and played in bars at night. "Tell me no Lies and Keep Your Hands to Yourself" was one of their biggest hits.

So, yeah, this consultant, I think, expressed himself badly but generally, the push to decide for yourself what to do then do it is important.

I think his content is pretty spot on if you strip out a little exaggeration. But what do I know I'm only 20...also what does the speaker know, he's not a full-time jazz musician

i think this guy gave great advice though because you can tell the guy knows what he wants to do (music full time) and he is overstudying and not working hard enough to actually get into the biz.

Well he's saying pretty ambiguous stuff.

Do what you love to do.

It's easier said than done, and he solves that too: work a job that enables you to pursue your dream, i.e. pays the rent.

The bit about teachers as musicians and not as musicians: who the f@ cares? Generalizing like that is retarded. In some cases the teacher is the black belt and he will beat your ass. In others a swimming teacher isn't a dolphin. This kind of categorizing is for people who can't handle a large concept in a way they understand it, so they lump things together and paint them black or white.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is dead on. You gotta have something to live on while chasing your dreams and at some point, you do (if you can) have to flip the switch and jump from the day gig to the passion gig. 

As far as the teacher comment, yeah, that's just his opinion and what if the guy loves to teach? You can have many passions (and hopefull that's how it is). Some realize that they'll NEVER be stars, but it still gives them "something" and they do it. I'm in the "Play once a week with the old farts club" or whatever he says, but I wouldn't want to stop because it gives me something. No way could I make a living out of it.

Of course Beyonce (etc.) is a musician. She's making her living from music. Just because she has a crew of writers, etc. doesn't mean she's not bringing it and singing. You can have a million writers, but if the talent's not there, it's going nowhere. Lots of people in professions have a support staff. I don't think it lessens their contribution. If they're writers, arrangers, etc. on top of being a singer, well, that definitely heightens their talent, but I would say she's definitely a musician... OR maybe to put that another way, she's an "Entertainer". There's a difference, or she's a "Singer". I would say that singers are musicians.

• Administrator

This guy is a frickin moron.

If you really want to see me hit the roof... if you really want to see me go postal... you want to get yourself IMMEDIATE deleted and banned from this forum with no questions asked... make the comment, "those who can't, teach"... nothing infuriates me more. This is an insult of the highest degree and flat out not true. Tell me that to my face when I have been in bands, write songs, and do what I can to be an artist and try telling that to Ken Tamplin and Daniel Formica and the list goes on and on and on... of musicians with great talent that also have chosen to teach.  It gets back to the fact that teaching and performing are two different jobs and you can do both.

Is this guy actually interesting?  Sits in his living room and does web cam videos for "assholeconsulting.com"?  

BTW... People that don't even pay their own bills, have nothing to say to anyone as far as Im concerned, unless its on the Jr. High playground.

I make no apologies for choosing to become a voice coach to pay my bills. My career has taken me all over the world with tours, has adequately paid my bills, touches people's lives every day and with my book, I'll leave a legacy... my book is worth four albums... but the difference is, people will actually read it.  I own my own life, my own schedule and do what I want to do 24x7.  I don't dread for 40 hours a week with four hours of fun... I have fun pretty much 30 hours a week and then when I find time to record and work on my music, I have a blast for another 10. I would much rather do what I have chosen to do then work a day job I hate, so I can sing in a cover band. Sorry, not interested in that life plan...  I paid my dues, I did the work... and that has absolutely nothing to do with my potential as a musician or singer.

And btw...

I have had many day jobs, most of them shitty... I have lived in the back of my JEEP to survive and have been almost homeless at times... which leads me to my next point and the only point this guy makes that is really good...  you have to create something for yourself and work our ass off and work overtime to gain your freedom and make your dream a reality.

dreams__by_fkappau-d5tgy4h.png

BTW... I think he makes one other valid point... be careful with school... it is a huge sham to some degree... the amount of time and money put into schooling these days is not worth the limited return you get for it. The real world doesn't give a **** about your degrees and classes you went to. The only thing that matters is innovation, hard work, a good idea, and tenacity... paying big money for school to be a success is a lie... its up there with marriage and mortgages... things society tells you that you have to do, that strap you down and make life impossible, ... but you don't and anyone that avoids these traps, especially marriage... will do real well... I know, been there did that two times as well... learned the hard way... keep life simple, so you can simply live... and work hard to create something that has value in the world. And for you younger guys, stop thinking the world owes you something, because your going to have your ass handed to you when you get in the real world.   :angry:

ok, i need my coffee.. I'm going off on a Rob tangent here... 

He is an ass and a dumb ass at that. I know Britney & her sister , more power to her, but without the machine behind her she wouldn't do well. Some people fall into those spots and do very well. Got look up her singing without autotune and effects, non the less she does the work. She is more of an entertainer than a singer, but that ok.. there is a place for everyone. This guy must live a very sad life.