The Great Scale

Rate this topic

Tysrian

Its an exercise called 'the great scale'. I read something about it in a book by a lady called Lilli Lehman. I was wondering if anyone else knew that particular exercise, because Lilli is very convinced of its results. I wanted to try it for awhile to see what it does for my voice, but I cant figure out how to go about using the exercise. The explanation is unclear about what you need to do.

P.S. The book is in public domain so if your interested you can find it on gutenberg (I did)

Its an exercise called 'the great scale'. I read something about it in a book by a lady called Lilli Lehman. I was wondering if anyone else knew that particular exercise, because Lilli is very convinced of its results. I wanted to try it for awhile to see what it does for my voice, but I cant figure out how to go about using the exercise. The explanation is unclear about what you need to do.

P.S. The book is in public domain so if your interested you can find it on gutenberg (I did)

Tysrian: Its described by her in 'How to Sing'. I am currently re-reading it... its sitting on my coffee table back home.

She describes how to do it in the book. Its not complicated.

The great scale is a major scale, two octaves in span (bottom to top), sung easily on 1 sustained note per breath. Start at the bottom of the range, onset the first note cleanly, sustain it for the length of a complete breath, take another breath, and repeat on the next note. Sing the scale upward and downward on each of the italian vowels, using the same vowel for all of the notes of the scale upward and downward, before proceeding to the next vowel

ee

ay

ah

oh

oo

and the short vowels in english

ih

eh

a (as in cat)

uh (as in up)

oe (as in foot)

If you come from a country that uses umlauted vowels, or other intermediate vowel shades, sing those as well.

The entire series takes between 20 mins and half an hour.