My New Song - Catchy one :P

• TMV World Legacy Member

I agree with Robert. You could use the pic from your soundcloud, even.

I liked this song and could hear it being the soundtrack of one of those romantic movies where the couple is walking along the beach and tossing starfish back into the ocean.

Shop this out to movie studios, specifically to the people in charge of music for soundtracks.

Get a synchro license for it and buy us all lunch.

I like the brightness of this song. It does have a more open, sunnier feel. The phrasing is still in your style, which often has an abstract painting feel to my ears, but it's definitely one of your more accessible songs.

If you ever wanted to write a poppier song, you could push the phrasing a bit forward (don't jump in super early on a phrase), try extending the phrasing outward to last a bit longer and sustain notes a bit longer. Nick Drake was said to have a guitar technique of cluster chords, you sometimes have a sound I'm going to coin as clusterphrasing.

It's difficult to articulate in text, but if you listen to say a Beatles song or typical pop song, use one hand to tap the time signature, and use another to tap each syllable, precisely where it falls into the beat. The phrasing tends to syncopate in a different way. Things tend to be on an on beat or an off beat with only occassional ones leading or dragged, sometimes triplets are used. 

I really like your style as a songwriter. Gives you identity. I can't write like you at all. So it's a very unique, but if you want to experiment with the catchiest side of music, a lot of it is in the phrasing. The upside of a catchy phrasing is immediacy, the downisides can be predictability and a lack of nuance or even an annoyingly catchy earworm. The upsides of your style of phrasing is it has depth, nuance, intricacy, and is something a listener could delve deeper and deeper into to try to understand and absorb. Different spectrums of art have various difficulty (effort on part of the witness) to find meaning. Certain sounds are almost like candy, kids will eat it til they get sick, but sometimes it can be too much. A lot of pop radio falls into this spectrum and it's why so much of the music is disposable.

This has been a concept I've been trying to work with in writing less disposable songs. Your music is definitely not on the disposable candy side. So you would have room to sprinkle infectious melodies and catchy phrasings (that people would be humming after listening ot the song) into the big picture like M&Ms.

You have another song where you say "My Mind Disagrees." You draw it out, you milk it, the phrasing, the melody, the delivery, stuck with me. It was like an M&M in a more elaborate meal.

Oh, Chapman, I forgot to say. One more thing to study are nursery rhymes. Many of them are ear worms, just by the rhythm, melody, or both.

Even young children can learn them fairly easy cause they 'stick in the ear.' Modern pop music to my ears has progressed increasingly into nursery rhyme territory. It used to be Mickey, Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine  you blow my mind, hey Mickey!!!! Was an extreme rarity. But if you listen to like Nikki Minaj or countless others, they've really honed in on the playground 'chanting.'

When I was a big fan of more mainstream pop music (pre 00s with a few golden eras), it was balanced more so with melodic and harmonic substance. Maybe it wasn't quite as catchy as a nursery rhyme, but it was less annoying. Nevertheless in order to try to comprehend the catchiest sounds, sometimes, it's good to go right to the source. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll upload my picture now, I forgot all my pictures are on my separate harddrive. KillerKu, thanks for the advice :). I noticed the Trust song has the most catchy melody too out of all mine but it isn't as approachable as some of the others; nonetheless it's still one of my personal favourites. I noticed that today with the nursery rhymes, I was unpacking some belongings of my grandmother and I happened to play an old one, the similarity to a pop song's pattern really struck me.