Rate this topic

ladido

hi lads,

i've question concerning the mixed voice. I've been practising it for quite a while and I searched all through the internet to find some advice and some exercises,but finally it didn't work out. First off I am male ,21 years of age , I am a tenor and i'm geordie ( english). Every time I am singing Angels by Robbie Williams I am facing that one particular high note at the beging of the chorus . It is the f-sharp just below the male tenor c. Sometimes I hit this note in my chest voice properly but ocassionally I just miss it and my family is about to scarper.So I informed meself a bit and I found the mixed voice . so my question is , how do I train and practise the mix voice because the exercises I've found didnt work for me . How do I involve this technique into my singing?

please help me!

kind regards

ladido

If you post a sample you will get alot better help so people can hear what you are doing. Cuz when u say you "found a mixed voice" i dont really know what that is and how does it sound.

Also F#4 is right around the passagio area and its preety difficult note for beginers. I guess you should first lesrn how to bridge and connect your sound in order to negotiate the passagio. Also IMO F#4 is also area where there comes a question of style. Do you wanna belt out those lower belts or do you wanna sing them in a headier position.

P.s. upload an avatar pls :)

• Administrator

Ladido, before you get too deep into your quest to find the "Mixed Voice"... watch this video... unless you are referring to resonance and formant shifting... and understand what that means... your pursuit of "Mixed Voice" may as well be the pursuit of chasing ghosts. I am not arguing that there is no, "mixed" resonation, or sensation we all feel when the formant shifts into M2, but the term "Mixed Voice" is too often not explained properly to students, even by their teachers, so the result is time wasting confusion brought on by instructors that can't explain formants and resonance properly, leaving their students looking for some "mystery" 3rd register that isn't there. Be Careful... many people have been bamboozled by this... 

• Administrator

I have also been confused by the notion of mixed voice. The confusion comes when the same term is used for 10 different sensations When in reality its preety simple.

... it is just formant/resonant shifting through the passaggio Elvis... and can also mean singing with a combined F1/F2 resonance... but its all about formants and harmonics... has NOTHING to do with a mystery 3rd register.

... it is just formant/resonant shifting through the passaggio Elvis... and can also mean singing with a combined F1/F2 resonance... but its all about formants and harmonics... has NOTHING to do with a mystery 3rd register.

Yea Rob..and thanks to You and Pillars i know that now :)

• Administrator

Yea Rob..and thanks to You and Pillars i know that now :)

... I'm just saying... ?  Amazing what can happen when people make a small investment in themselves and actually read and study the content of the endeavor they wish to pursue. I appreciate that you don't expect to have this all handed to you Elvis... Now you are becoming the "real deal", not just a dreamer looking for "free secret tips" on youtube.... arghh?!  I like people that want to dig in and work for something... good job Elvis.  ;)

Ladido the exercises will work for you. You need to give them time and not a couple weeks time but a working at it everyday. Think of it like golf if you try to hit the ball to hard and you don't know the technique that well you will be slicing into the woods and not hitting it to far. The hand off to chest voice to head voice is skillfully done. So take your time and if you need any guidance you can hit me on skype(danielformica) so I can just see how you are doing your exercises.

As far a the formants which rob is talking about on lower notes you are amplifying higher harmonics in the first formant say h3 to f1 as you rise in pitch the h3 falls out of the range of f1 so h3/f2 is the boost. Totally confusing huh? You don't need to know this you just need to follow the exercises without straining and pulling and break when you need to not when its to late