Rate this topic

Elvis

Hey guys. I was wondering if i can strenghten my lower notes. I was told i was a Tenor so i guess those lower notes are not that good and expressive. Any chance of strenghtening that and make it more "dynamic"?

My lowest note is G2 but its kinda "meh" so i recorded Amazing Grace from G#2.

https://app.box.com/s/eybwumexbf01bz7ce66fsojf8j4me678 - This is me singing amazing grace from G#2, also ive included an octave higher just so u hear the difference if that means anything. 

P.S. sry about the lyrics. I hope i didnt offend anyone.

Edit: I didnt lower my larynx or anthing. I just sang where it naturally would be. No special manipulation of anykind.

I was always told to never sing your bottom notes heavy, always try and "aim" for the soft palate.

Try and keep a "bite" or "ping" in the voice even down there and don't get woofy or darker.

Keep it flowing too, you have too many abrupt stops.

My quick take, nothing special.

https://app.box.com/s/66gshmgz3fc4tqrvzhbe

Wow bro. KILLER phrasing. Love the soul in your voice. Very authentic.

Im gonna try sone of these tips and gonna upload one more time.

Thanks aloooot bro.

Wow bro. KILLER phrasing. Love the soul in your voice. Very authentic.

Im gonna try sone of these tips and gonna upload one more time.

Thanks aloooot bro.

Haha thanks, those Gs and above need a load of work but I'm slowly getting there.

Few things:

1. Keep twang on your lowest notes. If you lose the twang you'll lose a few notes

2. It helps me if I grab a vowel like 'oh' and modify around it

3. If this stuff fails, you can use fry

I can go down to F#2 on a daily basis and down to D#2 on those 'special' morning days without fry. If I fry I can go down to who knows where (B1?). Training fry can get it a little stronger, but you have to keep it relaxed.

My suspicion is there may be a way to get a bit of a half fry. I've heard it from some singers, you can hear the croak in there but it's less so.

I can get down to around B1, obviously not really usable in songs.

The standard croak thing isn't very useful, but I think some singers can get a bit more power.

Check out 0:57

That's way outside his regular range, but could be useful in a harmony, or a phrase.

This is one of my favorite low songs:

There is a section where he dips too low for me to sing realistically.

The section you pointed out that John sang is kind of my comfortable speaking range.

It's like a C2, which is bass lower end. So you're a bass/baritone approximately?  You've had some success with lightening the voice. I was wondering what naturally lower voices would sound like singing pop and lightened. So you're the best we've got.

C2!? Really?

Hmm, maybe I'm mistaken then. I always though I talked around the C3 area.

I wouldn't say Bass/Baritone. I'd say more Baritone/High Baritone. I can get G4s, A4s are hard to lighten up on.

C2!? Really?

Hmm, maybe I'm mistaken then. I always though I talked around the C3 area.

I wouldn't say Bass/Baritone. I'd say more Baritone/High Baritone. I can get G4s, A4s are hard to lighten up on.

Yeah, it's super fried. The people over at Range Place found it, and I think they got it right. Normally Lennon starts croaking at a G2. I sang a lot of his songs and found one on I'm a Loser, as the melody makes it kind of tough to hit:

Mike Patton isn't a super low baritone but found some kind of weird half fry register too. I think Jens is the closest member here who seems to have a strong croak sound if I recall correctly from a clip way back. Low notes are way more mysterious to me than high notes. There's so much more inconsistency day to day for me.

Gettings to the lower part of your voice is a bit similar to the upper part of the voice. There is some "passaggio point" on the lower end where your speech inflection range ends. From that point on you have to support more and apply more intrinsic anchoring (twang + slightly lowered larynx) to keep the notes stable and resonant.

Depending on your voice type that low end of speech inflection range differs. For me it is around D2 but for most guys it is higher, more around the F2 area for baritones and A2 area for tenors. What you also have to remember is that notes below the D2 will have a fry sound to it no matter what you do because the frequency resolution of the human ear will make you hear the individual contacts of the vocal folds. Some people try to avoid that fry in the sound, but it is something that is no longer possible below a certain note.

Just keep using your voice low, the more you utilize a lower range the more comfortable it should get.  I know it can be a bit discouraging if your voice sits higher but that doesn't mean you should give up.  PS. I've heard your upper range and I'm jealous of that. xD  I'll trade girthy low notes for strong upper range anyday.

By the way, Killerku, I am the one who found that Lennon clip on The Range Place.  Thank you for giving me credit. :)  I love that random low note haha.

I haven't been following this thread but there is something I have done.....Fry on an A2 slow the fry beats  down until the frequency kind of modulates sometimes the formant switches to the A1.... I haven't really been doing this as an exercise but I used to bottom out at g2 and could fry to a d2. I recently sang a cover of Sunday Morning coming down at sang a solid D2. It was weak but solid.

Just keep using your voice low, the more you utilize a lower range the more comfortable it should get.  I know it can be a bit discouraging if your voice sits higher but that doesn't mean you should give up.  PS. I've heard your upper range and I'm jealous of that. xD  I'll trade girthy low notes for strong upper range anyday.

By the way, Killerku, I am the one who found that Lennon clip on The Range Place.  Thank you for giving me credit. :)  I love that random low note haha.

That's awesome. So I've lurked and read your posts over there. I've never cared much about range as a music fan or even a singer, I just use what I got, and let it expand as it expands, and I listen to what people got, but I have to admit that place is fascinating.

It's funny the dude who hangs out at the range place is the same guy we couldn't get bridging in this thread, eh:

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

We might have to skype some time and see if I can get you to do that supported falsetto thing, it feels like defeat.  :D 

It's funny the dude who hangs out at the range place is the same guy we couldn't get bridging in this thread, eh:

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

We might have to skype some time and see if I can get you to do that supported falsetto thing, it feels like defeat.  :D

Hahaha.. I know, the irony is real.  If you got any advice for me I'm all ears haha, my skype is thegreatheroins

Jeremy:

Significant high notes:

E4 ("Straining my ass off on five tone scale)

C4 ("Crying", "House of the Rising Sun")

Significant low notes: 

A2 ("Miss You", "House of the Rising Sun")

G2 ("Love me Tender")

:D

Ok dude, let's go at it :)

First off beautiful tonality, you got some really nice there to work with. I'm going to go critical on you now, don't get downed by it. I'm not insulting you, nor intending to I'm trying to help and feel free to contact me if you have questions. That said.

1. You are blowing and wasting way too much air. I could sing half an aria on what is wasted there in one phrase.

A. Speak in a very small micky mouse voice ( not falsetto) firm and tiny right behind the nose on the teeth, place your voice in your head above it. The very bottom of your lowest register should sit above your middle register, you will need to grow more support to keep it there, once it is there you will be able to sing 10 times longer and waste no air. I'm not suggesting you need to sound like micky mouse, but that is the best way to describe the placement.

I was always told to never sing your bottom notes heavy, always try and "aim" for the soft palate.

Try and keep a "bite" or "ping" in the voice even down there and don't get woofy or darker.

Keep it flowing too, you have too many abrupt stops

The "Throat" should be open in the lower register, vibration should be in both the chest and head. you can get dark as you like, but do it the opposite of how you think. Make it firm into the bones of the frontal nasal structure, do not dig into the throat. This will also expand your sinus and mask, keep your voice forward. When at your best, you will have NO THROAT the support from the bottom( diaphragm/abdomen ) and vibration in the head is all you will feel the throat is just a stationary tube you need to keep open, the larynx is suspended. There are many who go on about lowered larynx or raised. I find when it is best not to try to force it either way. I studied lowered larynx techniques for a while, while they are good for volume they aren't so go for agility. It's ok to lower it, but don't force it.

Here's two exercises:

This will both stretch the throat and be of use for sustaining notes. Open up and say ah lol inhale through the nose open wide ( your throat and mouth) like you do at the doctors and put your tongue out, just hold that until you can keep everything open any more. most people cannot sustain long notes, because the reflexes cause us to close the throat. you need to train it to stay open..do that without making any sound first. you will feel the muscle and the throat stretch. just do once or twice a day.

Proper registration, closed mouth:

You need very little sound for this you want to hear it inside. Keep your mouth closed, do not try to project. Say the word zim, close your mouth, keep that focal point. start at you mid range. picture tiny dots from the inside out behind your eyes, nose and in your check bones. Make various tones and try focusing them to those spots. If your doing this correctly you can do it through all registers, this helps develop proper registration of the notes. You need to know where each pitch belongs before you try to sing them. Identify each place of registration, until it becomes memory and automatic. After when you go to sing add the rest, other wise you pushing up and down all over needlessly, wasting air and restricting the throat.

Over all really sweet sounding instrument you got there, take your time developing it, play with the notes in your mask, head area, it will fall into place, then and only then punch it. If it is place right, the registration is right and the support is correct the harder you hit it the fuller ( fuller is not louder the fullness comes from the resonance in the head and bones of the frontal nasal structure) and brighter it will get. Do not hit with the throat hit with the gut. Go to a medical supply shop ask for the little machine asthma patients use to strengthen their lungs. it is just a little ball, you blow air and keep it floating. Sing is the same, control the air, float the note, add squillo if you want more fire.

About two years ago i was uncomfortable at a F2, i wouldnt work my low notes and i didnt need to... Recently i always start my exercises at A2 ascending and back down i can go always as low as D2 with some resonance (i say probably usable) and maybe down to C2 but "just for fun". Not talking about fry which i dont understand whats useful for.

1. You are blowing and wasting way too much air. I could sing half an aria on what is wasted there in one phrase.

:D

I would like to hear something from you Darius, i want to listen to the compression on your vocals cause i think i would sing with the same compression of OP.

I haven't recorded anything in about 8 years lol I should, my voice is in the best condition it has ever been. Here my reverbnation page all kinds of clips/songs there from 85 til 2003 various styles. The aria is from 1986 and is from the end of my lesson with David Kyle I just EQ'd it and added a little reverb. I was 15-16 then my voice is just as big, but much clearer now.

http://www.reverbnation.com/DAS1K

There are some instrumentals on there, more recent I did on computer with music program, don't have mic hook up for laptop, so no vocals on them.