Kansas Trivia from their New Documentary

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Hi folks,

While watching the new Kansas documentary, I learned how Steven Tyler used to throw temper tantrums every time Kansas used to play with them. Tyler didn't like being upstaged, so he would try to unplug Kansas' extension cords during a show.

It got to the point where the Kansas engineers had to rig up dummy cords to fool Tyler!

On one occasion, after having enough of Tyler, Dave Hope left the stage and tried to deck Tyler but he ran away.

If you are planning to buy the documentary, buy it directly from the official Kansas website because they contain more content than the regular store-bought copies. 

Bob

I've been watching the doc everyday, I love it. My favorite band bio I have ever scene. No BS, squabbling, drugs talk… Just music. I remember when Carry On Wayword Son came out, blew my world up. Still one of the greatest songs ever. What vocals and guitar playing!!!

1977 - "Dust in the Wind" was playing on the radio. I had been playing guitar for three years, by then. I just had to learn it. I didn't realize until 5 years later seeing them in concert at the Reunion Arena in 1982 that it was played with two guitars. So, I had learned to play it on one guitar and have played it that way since I was 13 or 14 the way that you hear me playing it, even on my most recent version this year. Although, this time, I played it on a classical guitar.

But I would like to see that documentary. Most of the trivia I know is from a few books. The version of Kansas that everyone knows is actually version III. They had another singer before Steve Walsh. But he was by far the best they had. And I like John Elefante and he is a technically fine singer but I always associate Steve's voice with the sound of Kansas. There is no escaping that slight hyponasality. It just fits right.

According to the history I had learned before this newest latest and greatest history, Steve was not the original singer, I think he came along in version II. But the Kansas we all know and love was version III.

But I could always be wrong. Or, people re-write their own histories as they see fit.

Agreed, Bob. And Steve felt there were so many like those songs that offered so much more. When you get down to it, inspite of duet guitar parts, DitW is a simple song with simple lyrics. But it did appeal to a large audience. And often, he would be peeved by what he called "dusters." People that stayed at the show until they played DitW and then leave.

Yes Steve is amazing. I was really drawn to his style and approach.  I wonder how he developed his voice?  Did it just come naturally? I would have thought he had some kind of training.  At a young age he had no problem with chest to head, and often used Overdrive up to the top of the tenor range.

Kansas had so many great hits - quite unusual for a progressive rock band of that era.  Unfortunately they signed the rights of these songs over to Don Kirshner.  They get no royalties.  They had to maintain a rigorous touring schedule to keep the money coming in.