Rate this topic

Elvis

So im working with 4Pillars and the term that is referd to tons of time is "Twang". And Quack and Release onsets is kind of helping students find that Twang configuration. Now ive been experimenting with this Quacking sound lately and i am doing this sound which i dont know if its correct.

Now i am aware this is NOT a sound i will be using when singing, but what i want to know if this is a proper way of finding that Twang thru EXCESSIVE quacking.

Obviously i want to aim for the effect that Quacking provides (adduction i guess) but in a more beautiful tone.

https://app.box.com/s/lnvdjb8n6rdge9kuukrkc3q9mvxhvoeo

Like i said this is extremelly excessive but i do feel like the tone is fuller and sound more connected.

You will notice as i try to open up the vowel (or embouchure) i fall back to falsetto.

Doesn't sound like any twang to me. Sounds more like a disconnected breathy falsetto.

Try it on an MMM, I found it better that way and then slowly open up to it, or vocal fry into it.

If that fails, try it from F4 and go up to C5.

https://app.box.com/s/zlmrjdezx73yn7xobbxd

I've been told I have a natural twang to my voice so I found it easier. Like you said, don't get hung up on the idea of quacking, it's merely a crutch to find ping in the voice.

• Administrator

Elvis, 

I  listened to your sound sample... way to keep exploring and training.

1). This is not a Q&R onset... it is in fact Quack Vocal Mode... so its not all wrong, but this is not a Q&R onset. The Q&R onset has a specified work flow that has to be followed. It is slow and controlled early on. So I would advise that you slow down the onset and do it more properly.

2). You are very correct in noting that this sound color is not warm enough, or appropriate for singing... it seems you are reading my book... Im very pleased to see that you understand this ...  ;) .  However, you also seem to understand the training benefits of Quack Vocal Mode, namely, it helps students build the strength and coordination for vocal fold closure/compression. As such, it is a an onset that is designed to build coordination and strengthen vocal fold adduction, which beginners typically need to work on early on. It is good that you understand why you are doing this... however, here again, its needs to be done better... and stabbing at random notes is not going to get you there either... you need to work every note from M1 to M2, moving up chromatically like I show you in the program. Don't just race forward to the high head voice note you want to make sound cool... work the voice on every frequency.

Doesn't sound like any twang to me. Sounds more like a disconnected breathy falsetto.

3). This is not correct. It certainly is not a breathy falsetto phonation. Far from it... with the exception of a short moment when the vocal folds blew open for a 10th of a second, this is quack vocal mode, what you are trying to produce.  D.Starr then goes on to advise that you do essentially, T&R and P&R onsets... these onsets are helpful... but in regards to building vocal fold compression, Q&R is the first choice. T&R can also help you, but P&R (vocal fry)... is not an onset that builds vocal fold compression typically. It very well could produce nice results for D.Starr in this regard, but its not an onset that is tailored for vocal fold compression strengthening.

4). The main thing you are missing... both you guys in your samples is, after you release your voices from your compressed positions... you are failing to anchor the larynx and engage intrinsic musculature. This is very typical for beginners. It is not enough to just compress the hell out of your vocal folds, you have to dampen the larynx, tune to a vowel, engage the CT/Vocalis and produce a resonant space/vocal tract that has stability and warmth in the sound color. You get this by properly training the intrinsic musculature required and... by tuning your vowel with more curbing vowel colors added to the formant. Elvis... see the Messa di Voce Onset in the book and tune to more curbing vowels to get that larynx to anchor more, then... it will stop sounding quacky and start sounding boomy... 

5). For beginners, the vocal fold compression often blows open as you release from he quacky position, into the anchoring.. as you shape your vocal tract. Very typical... this is where your strength training has to come in and you need to be patient, it takes time.  Also, working the resistance onsets; A&R, D&R and C&R will help a lot with this... see the "High Performance Routine in 20 Minutes!" that I recently put in the book Elvis.

6). D.Starr... none of your onsets were vocal fry onsets... the truth is, most of them would be classified as Q&R onsets. Just like Elvis, that is quack mode. 

Both you guys need to anchor more... 

• Administrator

Elvis, be careful about getting pushed off track on your routines and what you are doing. These people don't have "Pillars", they don't know what is in the program. They don't know what you are being taught. For example, even though they mean well, they don't understand that what they are recommending is really a Q&R onset and you already have that... in fact you understand it better then them most likely because you have the book in front of you that explains the whole thing.... Above, D.Starr, who means well, is advising you to use vocal fry and tells you that your onsets are "breathy falsetto"?  That is completely wrong.

People mean well, and I appreciate them coming in to help you... but these are ideas tossed out, but can really just distract you from what you need to be doing. Stay the course... this forum is not your source for what to do in regards to techniques. You have all that you need in your program to trouble-shoot any of the vocal challenges you may be having. By the way... look at the back of the book and you will see "The Training Trouble-shooter" on page 540... have you seen that? Be sure to review that... it is there to help you to understand and fix different problems with the content and techniques. Review that table before you jump on here and ask for help.

Probably more then anything... you have to be patient. It takes a LOT of training and singing and practice to make your voice do these difficult things... it does not happen over night if you are a beginner. It takes months for most people... and then the rest of your life to continue to inch it forward. 

Hey Rob. I thank you very kindly on your comment. Ill will further research thisso i can do it more correctly.

Also Rob. All these sound and clips im posting is something i do after my practice. I always allow an hour of my time to go purely into Foundation Building Routine and practising onsets. This is what i do religiously.

This particular sound came to me accidentally while practising Q&R and experimenting with it. It Sounded like somehing that really helps close the bleed in the glottis (with exceptions where i burst open and try to close again) so i had some fun with it.

Also as you may have noticed, im very eager and impatient when it comes to singing higher notes and singing the songs i grew up with and essentially love, BUT i do understand that this is a marathona and not a sprint. Slow and Steady wins the race, and im going as slow as my nature allows me :)