Practice Routine

Rate this topic

MB20

I've seen a few other posts kind of relating to the topic but i though I'd post this one with a more general feel. Basically, I am trying to establish a regimented practice regime but I'm having trouble getting started. With so many areas to work on, I end up overwhelming myself and end up doing nothing, or insignificant amounts of a few things. So I guess I'm asking people to describe there practice time and what they do, kinda like a run down from start to finish, addressing questions like:

warm up/down

exercises

targeting specific areas

time spent on each area

when you practice

etc

hopefully this will give me an insight into establishing a routine that works for me :D

• Administrator

- Stretch & drink warm mint tea (singerstea.com)

- Warm Up - Resonant Tracking

- Warm up - Onsets & Sirens

- Main Vocal Workouts

- - When you have a problem in your vocal workouts, you stop at that problemed area and you work out the issues with slow, ascending sirens. You calibrate the timing, find the proper placements, work on your onset package components. You drill down and go through a process of discovery, trouble-shooting and fixing the issue, when its fixed, you sing the scale again with the recorded vocal workouts and hope to have your issue ironed out.

- Work on Singing your music; songs, karaoke bed tracks, your original music. All practice sessions should include working on the art.

4-5 times a week, 1-2 hours each session.

Hope this helps...

PS:

Buy yourself a PocketTone pitch device, its great for building acuracy on your sirens and helping to find what notes your tryig to work on. Go here: www.pockettones.com

Each and every morning :

1 1.5lt of warm water and tea prep for the day.

2.Tongue exercises (2-3 min)

3. Breathing exericises while doing cardio (45 min) or when in a hurry only breathing exercises (5min)

4. Lip rolls and tongue trills (10-15min) - during the lip rolls I vary the position and shape of the tongue and always

perform the same note with&without twang + elevated and low larynx.

5. Downward falsetto scales (semitones) in "hoo" and "hee" (3-4min)

6. If I have the time I keep on doing exercises from various books and drink 7-8lts of water.

7. If not, I drink up to 7-8 lts of warm water and remind myself all throughout the day to hold my breath and/or support my speech,

not to shout, keep quiet in my breaks and do no5 or no4 to keep my cords into shape.

This takes me through a week that involves talking to students for 96hours + all other social affairs and

gives me enough voice strength to sing a 4hour rehearshal once a week that involves several queensryche, fates warning etc etc pieces

I am not an expert - this is just what I've concluded works for me.

Best,

Thanos

Akarawd, can you elaborate? What are these tongue exercises? What do they do? How do you do them?

I'm totally unaware of them.

Hey Nathan,

Here are the explanations - please take into account I'm not an expert and I might be showing you sth wrong here.

The more I read various books and practiced, the more I realized the importance of the tongue's shape and position.

I soon found out my tongue was rigid and would resist control, safe very simple movements. What is more,

I figured that controlling my tongue, apart from all the tonal choices it gives, might help out a bit with the clenching throat muscles.

So this is what they do - keep the tongue agile and provide greater control over movement, shape and tone.

One last thing I found they help with is pronunciation.

I use the exercises from the zen of screaming and the vocal aerobics dvd which are :

a) stick the tongue all the way out and up, then down x 4

B) stick the tongue all the way out and go from side to side x 4

c) stick the tongue all the way out and circle clock x4 and anti-clock wise x4 (like licking the lips)

d) same exercise but inside the mouth clock x4 and anti-clock wise x4 (like licking the teeth)

e) stick the tongue all the way out in "u" shape , and then put the tip of it at the bottom of the from teeth and pull its mid and back forward and up x 4

You will feel tension during the first weeks or so and I reckon it's a good idea to completely relax the muscles for a min or so before you do any other exercises.

Have they helped ? Enormously, in all aspects of my singing and especially keeping the tongue broad in my style of singing - I was never able to do that before.

Still, after 7 months of doing them, I haven't achieved raising the back part of the tongue and keeping the tip at the bottom of the front teeth but it's slowly coming together.

Hope I've helped,

Thanos

1. Jogging

2. Shower (Steam)

3. Don't talk for a couple hours and perform 200 reps of bullfrog/tongue pushup exercise

4. Jaime Vendera's Warm-Up in RYV (tension release)

5. Raise Your Voice exercises with lip rolls (falsetto slides, messa di voce, twanged siren,)

6. Lip Roll through original/cover song selection for the week.

7. Take phrase for phrase notes on each song (vibrato, vowel modification, timbre)

8. Sing songs and troubleshoot difficult areas

9. Warm down with the RYV tension release/warm-up

Can you tell I get GREAT results from lip rolls? lol