Begginer's Singing Competition

Rate this topic

Elvis

Hey guys so i was wondering if any of you would be interested in a little competition.

When i was starting to play guitar i was active on a forum here in Croatia. We would pick a Guitar solo and everyone would use same backing track and compete who would play some solo the best. The award is a pat on the back and kudos :P

So i tought it would be nice for a few of us begginers to maybe try and compete on a simpler songs like All of Me by John Legend or maybe Country Roads by John Denver. We can all decide on a song (something not too high or low so we have more competitors) and find a karaoke track we would all use.

Pros:

-gives you incentive to try harder

-makes you focused when u have some shorter term goals (like learn a new song for this comp)

-get some insight on your singing and learn from each other at the most fundamental lvl

-FUN FUN FUN - human race is a competitive bunch :P

Cons:

-well i dont see any really :)

Tell me what you guys think.

Also this is all in a good non hostile tone, we are just having fun and challenge each other in the most positive way of making all of us grow our voices with some friendly competition.

This sounds cool, but how do you qualify a beginner, heh. :D Some people sing for 2 years and are more technically proficient than others singing for 5.

Good faith, eh? I feel somewhat intermediate as a singer. True beginners are straining at bridge and doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

Sounds pretty cool Elvis.  I have already been thinking of posting a cover of Country Roads, Just because there are not too many Country fans around here.

Thinking of All of Me also because it is so far from what I normally sing.

Doesn't matter, really, the definition of a "beginner." I imagine most of us "began" by singing nursery rhymes our parents sang to us. If you feel like a beginner or just like a challenge, I think people should go for it. And Felipe is offering his help, I think. Maybe he can get a good copy of "All of Me." Or, if someone wants to provide an arrangement.

Also, at this forum, there is a button where you can buy just as cheaply some really good backing tracks.

Or, if you also play an instrument and can play the song, I personally think that would be cool because that is what I often do.

Well yea it is hard to classify who is a real begginner. But actualy thats the whole point. Everyone who is just starting out in singing and feel they are at begginer lvl can enter competition. Maybe they will do even better when they have the incentive to try harder :P.

Or maybe after all clips are posted some experienced singer on this forum can make a selection and see who is begginer and who is at intermediate lvl and make 2 groups. So there is more fighting chance for everyone :)

Also, it depends on the nature of the competition and what is the prize. Is it to be voted "best" beginner singer? At the cost of the validations of those who don't win?  I mean, I get it, zoologically, we are still apes and apes war against each other and certain troops of primates have eaten their young. And humans are the most vicious of the lot. Not only do we invent ways of killing and make a society and religions and civilization out of it, we will invention contention where there was not before. So that we can fight. And is not always invoiving us with our fists and swinging from the trees and flinging excrement at each other.

So, what kind of competition? What happens to the winner? The losers, as in plural? Remember, second place is first place for losers.

Also, it depends on the nature of the competition and what is the prize. Is it to be voted "best" beginner singer? At the cost of the validations of those who don't win?  I mean, I get it, zoologically, we are still apes and apes war against each other and certain troops of primates have eaten their young. And humans are the most vicious of the lot. Not only do we invent ways of killing and make a society and religions and civilization out of it, we will invention contention where there was not before. So that we can fight. And is not always invoiving us with our fists and swinging from the trees and flinging excrement at each other.

So, what kind of competition? What happens to the winner? The losers, as in plural? Remember, second place is first place for losers.

Thats why i asked if anyone is up for it.

I guess winner gets a personal satisfaction. Also it makes his training worth it. He should feel more confident in what he is doing and encourage him to train even harder. For the "loser" this is a Double-edged Sword..they might question themselves and why do they even try or on the other hand encourage them to work harder and beat the competition next time.

Thats why im just pitching this idea to see how people react..if this is something ppl wanna do, than why not.

Me personally, i am hard to offend...you can tell me worst of the comments you can come up with and ill smile away and learn from the experience.

This is bassically a competitive "Review my Singing"...you post a song you sang, and people comment..only now you compete with others...it comes down to who gets better comments. Im sure there are 2 same songs covered in review my singing..check who sang it better, and maybe the one that didnt do as good can learn from the other, and in the way they both aproached the song you can distinguish some positive sides you can incorporate in your singing.

Its bassically an incentive to put your scale training and what not into singing situation. Consider it something like X-factor....the ones that dont go in the next round arent mad at those who passed, they can just benefit from the experience and work harder for next time.

But thats just me. Opinions differ.

I entered the Silent Lucidity challenge and the Dio challenge that we had a while back. Not really a competition against each other but more of a challenge to yourself kind of thing. There were no winners or losers just different singers singing the same song. It was pretty fun to sing something outside of my range and a different style for me.

I learned some things and I think Ronws gained a few lower notes during that.

I am not much of competing find of guy. When I was young I ended up being berated whether I won or lost so there was no more pride in winning than just realizing that I did my best regardless of the outcome. There is always something to learn from a good challenge.

I entered the Silent Lucidity challenge and the Dio challenge that we had a while back. Not really a competition against each other but more of a challenge to yourself kind of thing. There were no winners or losers just different singers singing the same song. It was pretty fun to sing something outside of my range and a different style for me.

I learned some things and I think Ronws gained a few lower notes during that.

I am not much of competing find of guy. When I was young I ended up being berated whether I won or lost so there was no more pride in winning than just realizing that I did my best regardless of the outcome. There is always something to learn from a good challenge.

Yea i think the same. Its more of a challenge to ourselves than between us.

Oh yes, I believe it would not work to discriminate who can and who can not join. I propose simply stating its a friendly competition, no prizes, just a warm, tight hug from Jens. :)

We can open a pool then and allow people to vote on which they like the best :).

What do you guys say? All of Me it is? Or both those songs?

I might even try if I get a hug from Jens. I have not had one of those, even figuratively. Not "Good Job," not "okay," nothing.

At least now, I would have something to shoot for.  :lol:

I know better than to expect a hug from Felipe.  :lol:   :lol:

m/

This song is on my veto list of songs that I will never sing. I don't think I'll be judging it too much either.

I've heard a few versions that made it almost ok for me, but I really dislike this song.

It is a good idea. Good luck to everyone involved.