Steve Perry - "Oh Sherrie" - Cover by 8tor

• TMV World Legacy Member
'>

This is my first time participating in a Music School Recital. Yes, there were issues...one out of sync @1:07 and darn High C @ 2:55 and etc...he he he... I still have lots to learn and develop but as a current hobby I guess it is ok... ;o)

Steve Perry you are an idol and true inspiration! Thanks!

"Oh Sherrie" a song by Steve Perry that made it to #3 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. On his very first solo album "Street Talk" which he released in 1984 while still a member of Journey. The album includes the hit single "Foolish Heart" that also made it on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.

• Administrator

Hi Buddy!... sorry that no one has got to you yet here... I saw your post come by, but have been buried building out the most incredible new version of my training program in the history of the world... lol... but lets talk about your singing... 

You clearly have a good instrument. Sounds like a nice tenor voice here and you are the rare type of guy that could sing Steve Perry songs with comparatively less effort then others... 

In regards to your performance here... you are struggling a bit in a couple areas.

1). There is too much acoustic mass on most of your notes. What that means is you are exceeding the ability of the resonance to "pocket" or amplify in an optimized fashion for your vocal tract (resonant space) on the provided frequencies (notes).  You see, this is a lot about the physics of sound in the human body and that requires BALANCE, not push. If you were my student I would say to you that you are "slapping the water"... as if you are in the kiddy pool up to your waist and just smacking the water with your arm... the physics of water pushes back when you hit it too hard. While its not the same thing, this is a fair metaphor for what happens to the sound energy in your vocal tract if you are singing with too much acoustic mass... you are "slapping the water" and the formant is getting compromised. If you were to sing with a lighter mass and try to "whistle" more, instead of shout at the notes, you would actually be louder, it would feel more comfortable and you would have a lot more agility to sing embellishments ... Singing with too much acoustic mass is probably the #1 thing that amateurs do handicap their singing.  

Therefore, you are going to have to remove the primitive instance to shout at notes, (don't feel bad we have ALL gone through this process...), and train your muscle memory to balance acoustic formants, or 'whistle' more... metaphorically. The voice is a wind instrument, the elements of noise (vocal folds), energy (respiration, and resonance (vocal track & vowel) all work together with physics of sound to give you what you want, IF... it is balanced.

Part of the physics involved here is not only the acoustic mass, but the vowel. I don't mean language vowels...I mean singing vowels. You should train to better understand what they are and how to use them in singing... but, it is the masterly use of singing vowels that also define excellence in a  singer , versus a struggle. The vowels are like a steering wheel... as you change through the constant common denominator of frequency changes (we are all slaves to frequency... it is the element in singing that is the "constant"... like gravity, it won't change and we have to negotiate and train around and inside of it)... but as you move through frequency in your melodies, to keep the above mentioned acoustics optimized, so you don't end up "slapping the water" and shouting at notes, you use singing vowels to tune the energy. When I say "tune", I don't mean tune the frequency, ( but you have to do that too...), I mean tune the formant... the resonant energy/vowel for each given frequency.

ok, this is getting complicated... sorry... the acoustics of singing is complicated actually, but if you can find the balls to learn about it and practice it, your singing will transform... among other things as well.... there are notes that are pitchy here as well... its not because you can't hear the right frequency... it is because of the details mentioned above.

Here, watch this video I recently did...  Also, I can help you... if you purchase my home study program, "The Four Pillars of Singing" and/or take some private lessons with me, we can work on this song together and it will be a lot better ... and you will understand what you need to do going forward. I have coached this song before.  I promise you, if you make the investment, it will work... provided that you also practice and follow the routines I show you. This home study program has 100%, 5-Star reviews on my store and Amazon.com... it frickin works if you are willing to hunker down and do the work.

I hope that helps... there is only so much anyone of us can do on a comment box in a forum. To really get after this with a permanent result, you have to train and really do it.

Good job, I agree for a hobbyist decently executed, nice tone and instrument. I agree with everything above. That stated a few points I would add.

1. It has rough spots and needs work, somewhat forced.. that does mean back down it always needs support, you need to refine the support, focus and control. Understand this clearly even if you perfect it, even if you get it better than Steve Perry, Steve Perry is one of those voices where most people will not give that full prop. Voice teacher might, people in general might, but the Steve Perry purist will not. The same with the die hard Mariah fans, I know people who sing her songs better than her, but Mariah fans won't admit it lol.

2. Weight and registration , with the above stated you have 2 options to further develop that. If you are after a Steve Perry type sound there is an excellent video on the forum you can look up, he is really good at demonstrating the Lighter more agile registrations Steve Perry uses. Option 2 which I recommend is keep it your natural weight and tone, refine it and put your own spin on it.

3. Lips are very important for color and feel, Steve Perry sing with a broader, widened up lip, it give the vowels a different tone and is part of his signature sound. You might consider keep your voice in the fuller registration and trying that to lift the color of the sound without changing the weight as much.

Is this the type of material you prefer to sing? or do you sing many styles ?

Over all great job for a non - professional , If you put a few hours a week into serious training you will do really well.

HM Darius Adrik Conrad Alexander Noto-Holstein

***** Conrad Noto *****

www.ImperialHouseofKings.org

NotoStars@hotmail.com

Hi everyone,

I really appreciated all the feedback and comments! I will work hard on all the tips you suggested.

I will pass this along to my singing coach and we will look at them. Some of the points has already been raised by my coach, but singing correctly is very hard.... ;o)

Why have a classified as a hobby? Well, I have nothing... just my undeveloped voice, 1/2 hour weekly singing classes and lots of self-teaching, self training and desired to be my best!

Believe me, if I could, I would stop my day job right now and move on to singing for the rest of my days! Unfortunately, it might be too late for me to take it to a professional approach...the music industry is so saturated with so many good singers that it would be hard for me to get further. So, let's leave it as a hobby so I don't get frustrated... but, hey, this is just a strategy as I won't stop or give up... 

The recital gave me so much strength and confidence and with the amazing comments you provided here (no sugar coating...which is good) I must go on!!! and I will!

I love the 80's and the powerhouse voices of that era. Steve Perry is the one that captivates me the most.

My goal is to record a single and put it on iTunes... who knows radio (big dream)... but that's my goal! I just need to write the song...lol!

Thank you so much for this amazing evaluation and validation!

8Tor