Hearing yourself through the monitors while singing live

Rate this topic

JohnnyL

So, today I've tried singing a new song I wrote for the band. I think I'll leave it to our lead singer but it was interesting hearing myself through an amp.

When I record myself I know that my head voice sounds much fatter than it sounds in my head. When I record it goes from Bee Gees falsetto in my head to almost one voice. Let's say 1.1 voice...  when I sang and heard myself through the monitors it was weird though. I felt like I was singing the notes (which is good) but it really sounds different, and made me instinctively not understand why I'm not in head voice in places where I usually switch... the monitors overtake the sound that's in my head, of course... 

My question is, how do you practice on coordinating yourself with what you hear from the 'outside'? any tips on how to get over the difference in what one hears?

Any (very) affordable solutions for home use and practice? I mean, I have a tube amp for my guitar... not sure how a vocal mic would work on it though...

Edit:

After writing this I figured out I can experiment with a recording device I have with a built in mic and output for headphones. Still, if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, experience - I'd love to hear about it. 

Practice through a Pa system. Practice with Head phones. Very cheap thing to do is set up an old Record album cover the type used for double albums, set it on a table so it makes a walled corner and sing into that. It will send your voice back to your ears. You will hear yourself from the outside not inside your head.

So, I've started experimenting with a recorder at home. Apparently I hear myself pretty well... I couldn't go into falsetto because apparently my chest voice has expanded, at the volume I've tried singing, not that high BTW, it was completely natural for me to stay in chest voice at E4 (that's where the song I was singing reached). This was in the evening and I've noticed that my voice is a little more extended at that time of day as in the morning E4 is not natural falsetto for me (I take my vocal lessons in the morning... so maybe this is the case).

The thing I don't hear about my singing is that I need a lot of energy to sound urgent. I sound like I'm sedated or something when I'm between F3 and D4. Below F3 I can make it fry and do 'authoritative' or 'sexy'... so it's okay...