Gigging singers, this ever happen to you?

Rate this topic

So ever been in the middle of a gig and your voice just for no reason just spazzes out? Was doing a show last night. Did two sets. First set, my voice was great. I was singing things better than ever with a much lighter approach than I normally use. Lighter is pretty cool if you trust it (see Daniel Formica's trust video...). Hitting notes easily that I'll sometimes avoid if feeling tense. Wasn't pushing at all.

Just before the first break, I noticed a lack of resonance in some higher notes. It was almost like suddenly there was a pillow put over my chords. Really odd as this resonance was in the other 10 songs we did prior to this one. Did the last song before the break and figured "hey, maybe some phlegm was messing with things". Grabbed a salt shaker and a glass, headed for the bathroom and gargled a bit to try and get whatever seemed to be gumming up the works out of the pipes.

Came back on and somebody requested a ballad. Normally, this'd be further down the set, but it's not that tough of a song, so we started the set with it.

Did the ballad... and my voice comepletely checked out. Just completely dried up. The ONLY thing that got me through it was to relax and not put ANY (NONE) pressure on the chords at all. Really really strange. Usually, I can lean on my voice and it'll respond okay. Not lately. Anyway, so it was super funky. Did another tune that's usually a tough one and it was fine. Still a lack of resonance, but not like earlier, then the voice came back to normal and finished the gig fine.

This kind of stuff is SO frustrating for me. Doing everything right, but this stuff can still happen. I have no idea why and when my voice hangs me out to dry, I just want to quit because it drives me THAT nuts. It's like your voice says "Hey, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts right now and there's nothing you can do!"  When yer voice checks out, then your playing (I play a variety of instruments too) goes to crap cuz you're freaking about your voice, etc. 

Could hear myself fine. Didn't drink. Wasn't stressed out... but the voice just decides "hey, I'm going on a break".

This kind of stuff drives me Absolutely. Fricking. Crazy.

Another thing I've noticed lately, and I think it's related, I notice sometimes my speaking voice'll crack and get airy and also, my falsetto will lose that ping and again, be like a pillow's jammed in my mouth.

It's not to the David Lee Roth on Kimmel Factor, but man, nothing frustrates me more than this kinda stuff.

Grrr

• Administrator

... strange.  Sounds like a compression problem. Why it would suddenly just stop, is very strange. My advise, not witnessing or hearing it happen, would be to do workouts that compress the vocal folds... you and I have trained together before... so I would recommend T&R onsets and Q&R onsets... and well as A&R onsets to try to "kick start" the compression again. 

I understand you are in the middle of a gig and you can just bust out and start vocal training... but between songs perhaps, you can turn from the stage and do a quick couple Q&R onsets...It may only take about 3 or 4 to jump start the compression. Smacking quick and hard on one of these onsets in about 15 seconds could do the trick... 

:mellow:

Thanks Rob, just weird... You and I worked on stuff that I dropped (meaning you stopped some bad habits I had). I'm not sure what you mean about T&R and Q&R.

If I'm understanding the compression reference, it's like if put any kind of cry on it at all, it just blows apart. Nutty. That didn't used to be that way with me. Oh yeah, no pain or anything like that. Was feeling pretty loose actually.

• Administrator

Billy,

Quack & Release Onsets

Track & Release Onsets

Attack & Release Onsets

They were still in development when we were working together I think... you should come by for a session and get an update... I would like to show you. 

heres the Deal.  When you are singing what you feel to be light and easy, is actually because the cords are adducting and your registration is balanced, without having to push with a whole bunch of energy just to get there. it does not mean you are light. So what happens is you start feeling like you can just back off the intensity where it is and now you are losing closure and then you start pushing to get the closure now your balance is off,. when all you had to do was keep the energy to its middle point. If you work out for an hour you have to mentally push yourself through to the end. So the energy you start with is going to feel less than the energy you end with.. 

When it happens to me, it's usually some friggin' phlegm or allergy issue that creeps up on me. As simple as somebody walks by and an allergen gets released into the air.....Now you fear and start to anticipate the phlegm will lock you up or pitch you off and the resonance just falls apart.