Hello everyone. My story. Plus singing high effortlessly without tension

Rate this topic

EveryVoice

Hey everyone. I've been lurking on these forums for a while and thought i'd create an account. So hello!

I'm in my 20s and I took some vocal lessons with a teacher in my area quite a few years back. I had no clue about the voice back then. This whole 'mixed', 'blend', 'chest', 'head' voice. I didn't know about any of it. And my teacher didn't tell me about it either. Maybe he just didn't want to confuse things for me and just instead think about it as 'one voice'. Anyway as I did the scales.. I got higher and higher and ended up straining, like many people do. But i thought that this was normal and if I just carried on going up higher and higher I'd eventually get it. Anyway in the end I could sing higher and on pitch but I hated the sound of my voice. It sounded too squeaky, forced, strained. And now I realize it's because I was squeezing my way through the vocal exercises with my 'chest' voice. After a while I began to realize that being on pitch isn't everything. There's so much more that creates a good singing voice.

I was like this for many years until a couple years back I started with this 'open-throat' technique that Ken Tamplin teaches with the bright 'ping' in the back of the throat. This helped me tremendously with pitch, power, and the overall tone of my voice. But I did find that I still didnt have the control I would have liked with my voice. Singing more softly was kind of difficult. I also hit a wall with the whole 'chesty' open throat approach. As I got up to around the E4 and area I was really pushing and doing the whole vowel modification thing and I didn't like how it felt. There was too much tension. And as much as I think Ken Tamplin is a hell of a singer. I think you can see the tension on his face and in his neck as he sings on his videos. But I understand there's nothing wrong with him because that's just his technique! Like I said he's a hell of a singer!

I like many different singers. In particular I love the whole 80's power metal and rock vocalists. Bands like Bon Jovi (I actually prefer the guitarist / backup vocalist Richie Sambora than Jon.. check out his solo albums!). Another is Miljenko Matijevic from Steelheart. I love the smoothness and how effortless the singing seems. And I think that's the key with what I'm trying to achieve. A smooth and effortless voice that can sound clean but can also and distortion on if I want. Check out Richie Sambora's 'Ballad of Youth' below. His voice does sound 'chesty' and people would say it's the same as Ken Tamplin but I think Richie Sambora's voice is more smooth and is using a lot of head voice with that slight distortion on top to make it sound thicker. He also sounds great in the backup vocals for 'Wanted Dead or Alive' by Bon Jovi.

Someone that has helped me alot just by sololy viewing his Youtube videos is Dan Formica, who I noticed is a member on these forums. His way of not pushing this 'chesty' voice and just letting it cross over into a more heady voice as helped tremendously.

I know this post might be kind of long, boring and pointless to alot of people but I thought I'd just tell a bit about myself.

I have many questions about vocal techniques and will most likely create more posts in the future.

If there's anything anyone could tell me about the techniques Richie Sambora is using below.. please feel free to reply!

Richie Sambora - Ballad of Youth

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gv8ZaD_oFpE

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mqyrt7RCgsg

• Administrator

In particular I love the whole 80's power metal and rock vocalists. Bands like Bon Jovi (I actually prefer the guitarist / backup vocalist Richie Sambora than Jon.. check out his solo albums!). Another is Miljenko Matijevic from Steelheart. I love the smoothness and how effortless the singing seems.

Hey welcome... great post.

You are absolutely correct, you don't have to push and make the veins pop out of your neck to sing great. And even if you wanted to, 90% of the population can't use their voices in that way anyways. Just look at any other great singer from any genre and the proof is there, you don't have to push like hell to make it sound good... It seems you understand that now.  Its great that your sharing your thoughts. 

I like you post and I would like to help you. I can show you how to train to really gain a deeper understanding of how the voice works and the provide for you techniques and content that will enable you to know exactly what you are doing with your voice, how to fix problems when you run into them and have a clear path forward as to how to continue to get stronger every day. Someone with your profile, would do great with the TVS program and about 3-6 lessons with me to show you there training method and make sure your on the right track. I too, am inspired by the great "M2' singers of the 80s... but manly, heroic head tones that "boom".  Brother, "I get it"... 

Feel free to reach out privately if you like. 

Hi Robert. I've watched your Youtube videos you've definitely helped me a lot too. I know you don't like to use the term 'mixed voice' but I know you do just to get the point across.. I see that bridging earlier is the better route to creating an smooth voice without putting in so much effort as opposed to Tamplins way of splitting the voice into separate things and stretching the chest voice up. My singing is much more free after taking my time with it and not rushing and 'pulling' the chest voice. I find that I can sing higher notes more softly. I still have a long way to go though.

• Administrator

Hey!  We have a "bridging early" advocate here, coming from a experienced student that has been training "another program". Hmm? Could it be that bridging early helps you to get more finesse' with your voice, calibrate the timing of your bridge better, reduce constriction and weight problems and coordinate better on your bridging & connecting?

... and Im very pleased to hear that my content has helped you... thanks for sharing that.

I would like to help you even further if you'll let me... 

... cool profile pic.

You are absolutely correct, you don't have to push and make the veins pop out of your neck to sing great. And even if you wanted to, 90% of the population can't use their voices in that way anyways. Just look at any other great singer from any genre and the proof is there, you don't have to push like hell to make it sound good... It seems you understand that now.  Its great that your sharing your thoughts. 

I like you post and I would like to help you. I can show you how to train to really gain a deeper understanding of how the voice works and the provide for you techniques and content that will enable you to know exactly what you are doing with your voice, how to fix problems when you run into them and have a clear path forward as to how to continue to get stronger every day. Someone with your profile, would do great with the TVS program and about 3-6 lessons with me to show you there training method and make sure your on the right track. I too, am inspired by the great "M2' singers of the 80s... but manly, heroic head tones that "boom".  Brother, "I get it"... 

Feel free to reach out privately if you like. 

Thanks for the reply Robert. At the moment I think i'm in a good place learning by myself. But if I ever hit a wall and decide I want to see a teacher, I might hit you up as well as other teachers such as Dan Formica. I'm always learning new things even when I think I know what I'm doing. Way back when I was just pushing through the notes.. even when I had lessons.. I don't think I even used the 'head' voice at all! After a lot of research and trying it myself I'm getting better and feeling it a lot more. 

Thanks...

>"Blue Rain"... Hmm?  There is a lesson there por mui...  I have about 7 new original songs that will be published soon, hope you like them as well... we'll see. Stay cool... stay involved.... 

Agreed, "Behind Diverted Eyes" is really a beautiful song and inspired me to work harder. Not saying this to suck-up... it is something I would put in my mp3. 

Im glad you enjoyed some of my vids. Always feel free to hit me up if you have any questions I'm always here to help. no charge. Getting the "lighter" sounding chest is lots of work. I still practice everyday to keep that sound. Its all about balance.. "the sounding easier" is actually much harder than just "gripping and ripping" as my vocal friends and i call it .. good luck man thanks again

Im glad you enjoyed some of my vids. Always feel free to hit me up if you have any questions I'm always here to help. no charge. Getting the "lighter" sounding chest is lots of work. I still practice everyday to keep that sound. Its all about balance.. "the sounding easier" is actually much harder than just "gripping and ripping" as my vocal friends and i call it .. good luck man thanks again

Thanks a lot Dan that's real good of you. I agree.. the effortless sounding voices do require lots of work over time. I find it's best starting quiet and working my way up to the bigger voice as you show in your examples of Bon Jovi and Chris Cornell. 

Please upload more youtube videos! I check every day lol.

• Administrator

Agreed, "Behind Diverted Eyes" is really a beautiful song and inspired me to work harder. Not saying this to suck-up... it is something I would put in my mp3. 

Thank you JayCee, like any singer... It feels good to know that your singing works for some people.   :)

Yes, as much as I can step outside myself... I REALLY like  ... but, like all singers... I keep going, WE keep going... set your goals and keep going... they will be different for each of us. Writing more songs like "Behind Diverted Eyes" is one of my goals right now... I may never get there if I don't stop spending so much time on this forum, but... 

BTW... the song is dedicated to my cousin, Justin Radomile, who was my age and my closest cousin... he took his own life on July 1st, 2014, the same day I crashed on my motorcycle. Really sad... he was a finance guy on Wall Street in NYC, handsome, had the world in the palm of his hands and just didn't want to live any longer... the last communication I had with him was a bet over text messaging when Seattle played San Francisco to go to the Superbowl... I won the bet... Justin made good on it...  :mellow:

Copyright of Robert Lunte

"Behind Diverted Eyes"

The faceless call, into the night, then fall back into a tragedy.
You call, pick yourself up, brush off the filth and sting that fills your memory.

Chorus

Nameless Prevail
The Truth, Unveiled 
Behind fear that hides diverted eyes

To end the tale, I rose, I leaned back and I fell
Through a gateway there leads, a garden...

Wings unfurled
A pillar that stands beside me
But one good call
Can break my fall from insanity

Chorus

Nameless Prevail
The Truth, Unveiled 

Through a gateway there leads a garden...

(Bridge)

No longer trapped, in an crowded cage
Got rhyme, Got reason, Got empty page
Release my will to dive, out from the stage!
I stand forlorn with life to bare
To join the brave, my soul to share
My chance to shout it out, in primal rage!

Nameless Prevail
The Truth, Unveiled 

Through a gateway I stand, in a garden…
… alone naked and frail.

• Administrator

Getting the "lighter" sounding chest is lots of work. I still practice everyday to keep that sound. Its all about balance.. "the sounding easier" is actually much harder than just "gripping and ripping" as my vocal friends and i call it .. good luck man thanks again

Agreed... the lighter mass singing... at first seems like it might be easier, but when you get into it, not necessarily. It requires more balance, different glottal and larynx positions that you may not have the muscle memory for immediately and an element of agility is required that feels different then more belty, rock it out singing. I have grown in my appreciation for the challenge of singing lighter. Yes, Dan is good at it...

Thank you JayCee, like any singer... It feels good to know that your singing works for some people.   :)

Yes, as much as I can step outside myself... I REALLY like  ... but, like all singers... I keep going, WE keep going... set your goals and keep going... they will be different for each of us. Writing more songs like "Behind Diverted Eyes" is one of my goals right now... I may never get there if I don't stop spending so much time on this forum, but... 

BTW... the song is dedicated to my cousin, Justin Radomile, who was my age and my closest cousin... he took his own life on July 1st, 2014, the same day I crashed on my motorcycle. Really sad... he was a finance guy on Wall Street in NYC, handsome, had the world in the palm of his hands and just didn't want to live any longer... the last communication I had with him was a bet over text messaging when Seattle played San Francisco to go to the Superbowl... I won the bet... Justin made good on it...  :mellow:

Copyright of Robert Lunte

"Behind Diverted Eyes"

The faceless call, into the night, then fall back into a tragedy.
You call, pick yourself up, brush off the filth and sting that fills your memory.

Chorus

Nameless Prevail
The Truth, Unveiled 

Through a gateway there leads, a garden...

Wings unfurled
A pillar that stands beside me
But one good call
Can break my fall from insanity

Chorus

Nameless Prevail
The Truth, Unveiled 

Through a gateway there leads a garden...

(Bridge)

No longer trapped, in an crowded cage
Got rhyme, Got reason, Got empty page
Release my will to dive, out from the stage!
I stand forlorn with life to bare
To join the brave, my soul to share
My chance to shout it out, in primal rage!

Nameless Prevail
The Truth, Unveiled 

Through a gateway I stand, in a garden…
… alone naked and frail.

And good for you for surviving such a tragedy and finding a way to express it.