Can anyone increase range?

Rate this topic

Hi forum!

Im new member here. and i was wondering if anyone can increase range, I want to sing judas priest and iron maiden and i dont know how to sing high.

Can anyone tell me if they increased range? Like really testimonials from people who couldnt sing above G above middle C and increased range to sing D and E above high C.

Sry my english is not very good!

• Administrator

Hello, 

Please upload a picture to your profile.

Also, the answer to your question is yes... of course!  If people couldn't increase their range with hard work, practice and good techniques, there would be no purpose of having this forum or voice teachers. That is one of the points of vocal training. If you want testimonials, speak to any of the experienced members on this forum... or you can read the reviews in my signature below... all people that have increased their range and did more then just that, by training.

Judas Priest and Iron Maiden?  You had better be prepared to get serious and train.  If you are not prepared to practice every day and train, then it isn't going to happen for you. There is no secret "tip" you can get that is going to make you sing like Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson. If you want to sing like that, you need to get a teacher, a vocal training program and start practicing significantly. 

Yes. It is recommended you go to vocal coach who have a similar range to what you want or get a self-study program like pillars. In my personal experience, you have got to have  a solid foundation in the chest voice before you get to Judas Priest stuff. When I first started out I only cared about range.... and that set me back a lot. Now I focus on range only 30 minutes a day maximum and focus on the foundation exercises and NEVER pushing my voice up high. Because of lot of gimmicky programs that only focus on range a lot of people including me, get side-tracked. When your voice is built correctly, like a tower almost... then the upper notes will come much easier than someone who try to sing Judas Priest right off the bat. The best advice is the post above, there is no magic trick, you master the basics, and you baby the voice to get to where you want :) Never force your voice to sing something it is not ready for, I learned the hard way. 

Expansion of range is a heat-haze. When you actually get to your goal, you realize that its banal and that to find your way up you just brushed up on the stuff that really matters.

The answer is yes. But I strongly advice placing your focus on the technique and control.

• Administrator

Good point Felipe... when you get the fundamentals down, a foundation built and learn how the singing voice really works, "range" isn't really what you think about.. it just comes as a result of having other principles in your voice taken care of.

Expansion of range is a heat-haze. When you actually get to your goal, you realize that its banal and that to find your way up you just brushed up on the stuff that really matters.

The answer is yes. But I strongly advice placing your focus on the technique and control.

That is exactly right!

But i do understand from where the drummer is coming from. I came to this forum for the only purpose of increasing range and after a little while i realised that range come (almost) naturally when taking care of all the imperfections in your voice slowly and gradually trough proper training. Im preety sure that your top note Drummer is not so good when you sing, but if you work your voice to sing in your current range and iron that out, im sure you will without even trying get a semitone or 2 on your range that you will iron out next, and gradually expand your range.

It doesent actually work like that but thats just a mental image for you to think about. Think of it as driving a car with a stick shift. First month you will have trouble switching gears and it wont be natural, but after a while you wont even notice you are doing it. 

Quality repetition with will to train is key to every single skillset you are trying to learn. And singing is not any different.

If you

1. Have a healthy body that is functional

2. Practice the right things diligently

3. Have the right mindset (good work ethic without going overboard and trying to 'force' results)

It's pretty much guaranteed you will increase range. You may not sound like X or Y or Z, but in my mind a range increase is guaranteed to anyone who does those steps.

Step two it is very, very helpful. having a good teacher and/or a program will accelerate and more or less 'guarantee' this process more than anything else because being an uneducated singer knowing 'the right thing' is very difficult or sometimes impossible.

Without definitively having someone who is able to declare more or less the 'right thing' and steer you towards it, step two can be a pretty tricky situation. Most people will improve so long as they have 1 and 3, but will probably never reach the level of technical expertise of someone who has had very professional help. 

Yes you can. Teacher or no teacher, practice increasing your range everyday remember as you go higher don't get louder. Practice releasing to headvoice/falsetto on vowels that will allow you easily oo or ee. Do sirens up and down your range allowing the voice do glide up into your falsetto. Then go practice singing your songs. Have fun with it. If eventually you feel you can't improve on your own find a good teacher that can help you.

Yes you can. Teacher or no teacher, practice increasing your range everyday remember as you go higher don't get louder. Practice releasing to headvoice/falsetto on vowels that will allow you easily oo or ee. Do sirens up and down your range allowing the voice do glide up into your falsetto. Then go practice singing your songs. Have fun with it. If eventually you feel you can't improve on your own find a good teacher that can help you.

It's ok to get louder though. The same amount of closure with faster vibrations will increase volume due to physics (increased movement of similar force). But 'only' practicing getting louder isn't sustainable as same amount of closure won't be sustainable. :D

Basically, it is impossible for any man to reach the same peak volume at F2 as they can reach healthily at a F4. Releasing closure is a necessary exercise, but don't be afraid of higher notes having louder possibilities. Physics support these possibiltiies.

The reason I say get in the habit of not going louder as it well help later with pitch and agility. You may get louder but it will eventually come from resonance and not force which will help your pitch.

I was going to offer you this advice killer ku after the cobain clip you posted, it was very pitchy. You could work on using your mix or middle slightly more balanced if you don't push to get the higher notes but allow the resonance. Even when I sing the Cornell stuff I don't get much louder by push but by allowing the resonance to drive the sound so it doesn't go under pitch. You could still be raspy and have style and distortion while being on pitch a little more consistently.

The reason I say get in the habit of not going louder as it well help later with pitch and agility. You may get louder but it will eventually come from resonance and not force which will help your pitch.

I was going to offer you this advice killer ku after the cobain clip you posted, it was very pitchy. You could work on using your mix or middle slightly more balanced if you don't push to get the higher notes but allow the resonance. Even when I sing the Cornell stuff I don't get much louder by push but by allowing the resonance to drive the sound so it doesn't go under pitch. You could still be raspy and have style and distortion while being on pitch a little more consistently.

Cobain is pitchy, lol. I was trying to imitate his technique with no backing track or reference note. I haven't even heard that song in maybe 5 years but know the sound of his voice. Cornell approaches voice very differently than Cobain.

Not that pitchy

If he sang a random song imitating another sing he hadn't heard in 5 years with no reference note, probably would be as much or more. If you want a serious cover, I could prove my point. But I have no interest in sounding like Cobain and that was the first time I've ever tried.

I was just offering some advice. This is something I see in a lot of beginners so I was trying to save some frustration down the road

It's appreciated, but that is not my vocal technique. It was a spontaneous imitations of a random singer of a random song, with no rehearsal, no practice, and didn'te even know the lyrics to. You should listen to something that I use my technique on to get a more accurate picture.

I have a recent version of Country Roads, I'll show you when I get it uploaded.

Hymm,,,,,,,Getting back to the question of range, don't forget (as a lot of us might) it's not about just getting higher, but lower too.

Also, how you sound in the extremes of your range...

High notes and all are one thing...."Oh boy, I want to sing a powerful E5" or whatever, but how do you sound doing it?

Can to control it?

Can you sustain it?

Can you come down from it?

• Administrator

Thanks Bob... good moderation.

Killer... cool, you did "Country Roads"?  That is a cool song... I should upload my interpretation of "Sunshine on My Shoulders"... its pretty cool... a bit freaky... I thought your "Country Roads" is ok because to me... the style and vibe lends itself to allow you to be more "Kitchey", and raw... its like a very concerted effort to be raw and folky. I think I "get it"... If this vocal take was part of a full band back track it may not work as well, but as a "sit around the camp fire" ditty... it makes sense to me. 

It was inspired by this version, actually:

I've never had very pleasant experiences traveling and would prefer to simply go home 99 percent of the time. The idea of being trapped in a foreign place sounds horrible. I have a mild case of agoraphobia that I've never shaken.

So a stable home to return to is probably the most pleasant thing in my life, as soon as I open my door, my mind is already thinking about going home. Singing the song from that perspective works for me and does have meaning, the positive excitement for safety and familiarity are probably what sounds sentimental.

Can anyone tell me if they increased range? Like really testimonials from people who couldnt sing above G above middle C and increased range to sing D and E above high C.

I'll be happy to tell you one day mate!  I think that if I ever increase my range than it's for sure 100% no questions possible for anybody to do it.  I can't wait to be that guy giving testimonials about how bad I sucked looking back at 2015 from 2035.  

But on a more relevant note, yeah I think for sure anyone could increase their range if you practice the right things.  Even though I can't speak from experience of my own I have quite a few friends who started singing before me that all had range problems that are well up there nowadays and sounding great.  Plus, it's pretty much just common knowledge that if you use your voice everyday healthily, as you grow you are going to get a better range and technique.