Questions about Low Notes and Vibrato

Rate this topic

ShySoprano

Hey everyone :) I know that I ask too many questions on this site, but I also know I'll get great answers that are informative and detailed, so I won't get too irritated with myself.

-I would like to focus on the lower notes in my range. Since I sing soprano, I kind of feel like people forget that I can sing low, I don't just have these random high notes. I'm definitely not as good as an alto but I can still try to improve anyway. The lowest note I can sing, before I'm really just imitating a whale, is a C3. The "highest" low note before I start (kind of) mixing or going into head voice is an F4, I think. My low notes sound pretty nice I think, they have a warm tone when I actually do it right. (if I don't do it right,it sounds murky and inaudible) It's just that I sounds so detached from my head voice, since I'm so used to singing up there now, thanks to choir (Soprano 1...yep, random A5 there, the occasional C6 there...kind of annoying actually lol). It's a bit more comfortable to sing in my higher voice, and I just sound so much smoother and relaxed. I don't know if I'm describing this the right way...I guess I want to know if I can do anything to help the low notes, or if they're just going to be like that because I've kind of adapted to being a soprano.

-Vibrato...I've heard that vibrato is the result of good breathing technique and a strong, supported note that was placed correctly in the head, chest, mix, whatever. You want vibrato, vibrato is preferred over no vibrato if you hold a note because it will sound healthier. I've also heard that if you create the vibrato by wobbling your jaw or doing it in your throat, you're doing it wrong. It has to be involuntary and natural. First of all, is any of this true? Secondly, I only achieve vibrato in my higher mix and my higher head voice. I think it's because I have the best breath support for those parts of my range, but I'm not totally sure. How I can spread this to the rest of my range? Is there is exercise for better breath support that helps with vibrato?

Alright thank you all :D have a fun Friday ❤️

What I had read is that vibrato is a natural side effect of having a heartbeat. A heartbeat, which creates a pulse or pressure wave throughout your tissues, including those magical vocal folds, will then cause a natural pulse that can sound like vibrato, though you can also "fake" vibrato, if you want. 

In fact, most times, I have a natural and fast vibrato that is very subtle and submitting recordings here, people have thought I did not use enough vibrato. This is due to both my deplorable skill at recording and others ability to hear as well as whatever artistic desire to have a noticable vibrato, more noticable than usual.

For example, I recorded a song and used some subtle reverb. A reviewer could not hear it while listening to it on his smart phone. So considering that others might listen on something as crude as a phone for playback, I adjusted reverb.

But it all depends on what you want to do. Why do you need to sing alto?

Shy, i think vibrato is a byproduct of good breath support, but it help you "fake it, until you make it". Im still at a very beginner lvl of singing but some people actually said i have a decent vibrato, and i actually do it on purpose 90% of the time. Its very subtle but  lately i dont even think about it and it just happens.

Natural Vibrato is the balance of breath pressure and cord closure.....If I sing a song like "How Great Thou Art" I get a natural vibrato... For that I usually go for a deeper sound like "Elvis Presley" For this my cords are closed tighter and I need more air pressure to make them vibrate....Here is why the vibrato works there for me.... I dont use enough air pressure normally for that tight of cord closure so when the folds vibrate, Just enough pressure is there to keep them closed.....so there is a pulse of enough pressure...too little pressure...enough pressure...too little pressure.............equals vibrato.

Because you are used to singing high...and..high notes require a little more pressure and a little more cord closure than low notes, you have found that balance of just the right air pressure in your high notes....

There are different ways of creating vibrato, depending on the pitch. For males, it seems that in the lower ranges it's a phasic contraction of the TA or a "natural" muscle tremor. In the higher range, however, where the TA involvement in pitch regulation diminishes, the extrinsic muscles begins to engage in modulating the pitch causing the - laryngeal vibrato. :)

Usually if you sing a lot in the range vibrato comes by itself. However, one way I found does help me is to start the note clean with no vibrato and then shake your hand, make it fun and not forced, let the voice follow.

Watch 0:58. Hope this helped :) I do not find that understanding the "extrinsic muscles engage causing laryngeal vibrato due to phasic contraction of TA" helpful personally. Keep it simple and have fun learning it  :D