Start training, where to begin?

Rate this topic

Phung Dan Tri

I love singing and i sing karaoke a lot. Some of my friends say i sing well but that is just in karaoke. When i record my voice, i notice a lot of weaknesses.

I want to train my voice to sing better but i don't know where to begin. Any recommendation?

Another thing is that the place i live is not suitable for singing out loud. I mean when i open up my full voice, it becomes really noisy, which is annoying for other people. i need some advise

Thank you

Thank you for the reply.

Well, my roommate told me that I sounds like a dead cat. I know he was just kidding but i knew that sometimes i am too noisy. Guess i just have to sing when im alone.

Here is a sample of my singing i did about a week ago. 

http://www.ikara.co/recording/gia-vo-nhung-anh-yeu-em-5744326551273472 

Although the sample doesn't show much of my voice, I think I'm a tenor, my vocal  range is about C3 to G4 (chest voice) and probably up to A4 with headvoice.

I didn't hear any dead cats in there. So, next time your roommate says that, pretend to mishear him and and ask "you mean, sing louder? Okay." Then sing louder.  Or is that just my confrontational nature?  :lol:

I think your voice sounds good. I don't know the song you posted but it sounded like  you did well. I also think it depends on what style you want to sing. If viet names ballads like this are your thing, I think you need to maintain what you have. If you are looking to sing another style, you learn that style. The only style you don't have to learn is gnangnam style, for that is a gift from the gods.  :)

• Administrator

You have to train your voice. Honestly, no significant changes in your ability to sing better are going to take any lasting effect unless you make an investment in time and money to train your voice, and sing regularly. Singing is not something that you can do if find the "free secret tip"... that is not how it works. 

There is an industry of voice teachers and home study programs that exists for a reason. It is for people that are prepared to get serious about singing and are prepared to take the time, energy and investment to learn about the voice, practice and get stronger. Looking for the "free secret tip" on YouTube or this forum is a waste of your time.

I do happen to have a best selling home study program titled, "The Four Pillars of Singing" and I can in fact help you with this, if you are willing to do the work. Make an investment, take some lessons, practice the training program, etc... you will get better. If you choose not to do that, you will not get better.  That is just the pragmatic, bottom-line facts of the situation.

There are other coaches on this forum that can help you as well... and they will more or less tell you the same thing. 

• Administrator

There is one secret. pshhh...come closer..closer closer..Train properly and sing forcefully. And do lots of it.

Oh!  Thanks for the "free secret tip"!  Hey, my only question I have now is... is the "free secret tip" hard? 'Cause I just want to get the tip and then I'm entitled to have my voice sound amazing after I hear the tip... so after I hear the "free secret tip", do I have to do anything after that, because if I have to do something that looks like work or is hard... well, then... thats not the kind of "free secret tip" I'm looking for... I want the kind of "free secret tip" that makes me sing better and isn't hard ... do you know where I can find some "free secret tips" like that?  Maybe if I spend 8 hours a day watching "free secret tip" YouTube videos, I will find that one "free secret tip" that will change my voice forever without ever singing or practicing! Ya, thats what I'm going to do, because that seems more easy and not as hard...   :blink:

Oh! Thanks for the "free secret tip"! Hey, my only question I have now is... is the "free secret tip" hard? 'Cause I just want to get the tip and then I'm entitled to have my voice sound amazing after I hear the tip... so after I hear the "free secret tip", do I have to do anything after that, because if I have to do something that looks like work or is hard... well, then... thats not the kind of "free secret tip" I'm looking for... :blink:

Well Rob you need to commit laddy. No pain No gain. Now let me hear a Q&R onset. :):P

I didn't hear any dead cats in there. So, next time your roommate says that, pretend to mishear him and and ask "you mean, sing louder? Okay." Then sing louder.  Or is that just my confrontational nature?   :lol:

I think your voice sounds good. I don't know the song you posted but it sounded like  you did well. I also think it depends on what style you want to sing. If viet names ballads like this are your thing, I think you need to maintain what you have. If you are looking to sing another style, you learn that style. The only style you don't have to learn is gnangnam style, for that is a gift from the gods.   :)

Much appreciation on your comment. Honestly i feel much more confident.

I think my style of singing is mainly pop music and i will try to maintain it, not gangnam style  :D

You have to train your voice. Honestly, no significant changes in your ability to sing better are going to take any lasting effect unless you make an investment in time and money to train your voice, and sing regularly. Singing is not something that you can do if find the "free secret tip"... that is not how it works. 

There is an industry of voice teachers and home study programs that exists for a reason. It is for people that are prepared to get serious about singing and are prepared to take the time, energy and investment to learn about the voice, practice and get stronger. Looking for the "free secret tip" on YouTube or this forum is a waste of your time.

I do happen to have a best selling home study program titled, "The Four Pillars of Singing" and I can in fact help you with this, if you are willing to do the work. Make an investment, take some lessons, practice the training program, etc... you will get better. If you choose not to do that, you will not get better.  That is just the pragmatic, bottom-line facts of the situation.

There are other coaches on this forum that can help you as well... and they will more or less tell you the same thing. 

Yes, i understand that i need to invest time and money to sing well.

The thing is that, im still very young and opportunities are over- whelming and im not sure if im going to pursue singing career in the future; but i believe that singing well will be a big advantage for me nevertheless. It is worth to invest in it.  :)

About the free tips, well.. I did try to go on youtube and forums to pick up a few tips but they are not categorized and i don't seem to improve much. I also don't know what to practice to sing better, i just sing the songs that i like.

I did take a look at the home study program "Four pillars of singing". By looking at the table of content, there is no doubt that this is an amazing program and i would gain a lot from it. but well, I'm on a tight budget so i think i will just have to save up for it.

Great job! You are my prized student! Now you see where time and commitment can take you.

So my advice to the OP is If you really love sining you will pursue it no matter if u want to build a career or not. Trust me there isnt a better feeling than when you pour your soul into song and someone even on this forum gives you a like.

• Administrator

I did try to go on youtube and forums to pick up a few tips but they are not categorized and i don't seem to improve much. I also don't know what to practice to sing better, i just sing the songs that i like.

I rest my case... I sense you are probably young, so I appreciate you may not have a lot of money available... but for people that are reading this around the world... this is you. There are a LOT of people just like this... and it is not going to get you anywhere. Being "cheap" doesn't get you to your dreams. If your ability to sing and achieve your goals as a singer isn't worth $200 to you, then you need to just forget it. Regardless if you invested in my program or anyone else's... if you don't feel your goals and dreams are worth at least $200, a few lessons and time practicing, then forget it. You are not cut out for serious singing... 

That is the "tough love" reality of the situation and so there you go... 

I am in this business... Im one of the guys that makes videos on YouTube... I am an insider... Ive been singing and training since I was 15 years old... I am now 46. I have been teaching for 15 years and have a best selling book and product on the topic. I own this forum, and on and on.... I was also one of the very first teachers to publish videos on YouTube before anyone else started doing it... so let me tell you all something about the reality of YouTube...

YouTube is not a school. It is not an online course work system... YouTube is a marketing platform... It is used to market services and get a message out... and that is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with "marketing" your services... but you cannot gain any lasting results from watching a bunch of free "teaser" videos on YouTube... 

I have a warm up package right here that is not the full system: Click HERE >>>

If your ability to sing and achieve your goals as a singer isn't worth $200 to you, then you need to just forget itRegardless if you invested in my program or anyone else's... if you don't feel your goals and dreams are worth at least $200, a few lessons and time practicing, then forget it. You are not cut out for serious singing...

This is valuable.

I guess i should start training properly now. Thank you so much for the advise. :D

This is valuable.

I guess i should start training properly now. Thank you so much for the advise. :D

Very valuable indeed. Whatever program you go for, stick to it, don't look for magic tricks - there is none. The youtube videos that promise you a better voice in "1 magic exercise" are honestly pure marketing and not have your best interest. If you go up 1 note a month in range, in 1 year that's an octave an a half :) Slow and steady wins the race. Robert Lunte would not steer you wrong, in the end you must do the exercises, and trust your feelings, use a tuner app to make sure you know what pitches you are comfortable with or online piano if you cannot purchase a real one. Good luck Phung!

• Administrator

Good ideas... with "4Pillars" you have to have access to a keyboard. Either a real one or an app. because you have to be able to give yourself cues and play basic intervals in "The Foundation Building Routine" onset work and the sirens work. 

My students that train with me get a private, online virtual HUB where they can access notes, audio recordings of their lessons, homework,, warm up and training routines with access to content to train with... it also has some "helpful links" in it as well... one of the links is for a free online piano if you don't have a keyboard. It is better then nothing.

@Phung Dan Tri

If people are on a tight budget they often overlook a great source of information besides the internet and that is your local library. I have checked out a lot of books, audio courses and DVD courses on singing via the library. And it's 100% free.

@Phung Dan Tri

If people are on a tight budget they often overlook a great source of information besides the internet and that is your local library. I have checked out a lot of books, audio courses and DVD courses on singing via the library. And it's 100% free.

Nice one Martin. I never even tought of that

Nice one Martin. I never even tought of that

Yeah, it's definitely something to look into. For instance, just to mention a few, I've gotten my hands on the following materials from my library:

- Complete Vocal Technique (Cathrine Sadolin)

- Singing for the Stars (Seth Riggs)

- The Rock'n Roll Singer's Survival Handbook (Mark Baxter)  

• Administrator

Martin, 

That is very thoughtful and a good idea. At the same time, please note that Phung invested in "Pillars" yesterday and I would like him to focus on one program at a time. "Pillars" is extremely comprehensive at this point and its more then enough information, ideas, lessons and training content for one person to take in.  We both know the risk of students trying to train more then one program at a time if they are beginners.

Phung, this is actually good advise... I do recommend that you peruse the CVI book if you can, you will find that it is very similar to the TVS Acoustic Modes in "Pillars" and that may help you to grasp the concept better. However, beyond that, just focus on your "Pillars"/TVS training for now.

Read the book, watch the videos and begin working The Foundation Building Routine/s.

Martin, 

That is very thoughtful and a good idea. At the same time, please note that Phung invested in "Pillars" yesterday and I would like him to focus on one program at a time. 

Actually, it's a VERY good idea if you don't have any money. However, Phung, you are on the move, Robert's your man now! You're in good hands.