Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Rate this topic

someone told me i need to add more chest presence to my voice, and work on breath support more.

i tried to apply these concepts to a song. what do you think of this? is this better then the light way i used to sing before?

http://www.box.net/shared/lqliaso929

I noticed when you sing the word “crazy”, you’re losing your support and the mode, I think. That “a” in crazy is harder to keep the cry on it. You might try modifying it more towards an “eh” sound. Also the onset “cr” at the beginning of “crazy” is probably messing with the air balance. Blowing through it. You might try onsetting the sound with less abruptness and less air pressure behind it. If you can, think about inhaling that onset along with the vowel modification. You could just practice doing that word at the right pitches a few times and then try it in the phrase.

(Personal preference : I like your lighter voice better)

What Quincy said, plus the ee sound (as in me) seems to throw you out of balance. You might want to try modifying a bit towards an eh too (although someone more expert than me may say otherwise, in which case, listen to him/her :P). You don't seem to feel at ease with this way of singing, but it should feel better in a few days.

I thought your intonation or inflection was good. I noticed you had a timing problem similar to mine. You were waiting for the start of the musical phrase to sing, which makes you slightly late. A singer leads the music. Keep that in mind and it makes a huge difference.