"Jesus Christ Superstar" Falsetto

Rate this topic

TristanA

So, a bit of background. I am a junior in High School prepping for my college auditions in November. I aim to take a musical theatre major in an exceedingly talented school, thus the difficult song that I am working on now, which is "Gethsemane" from the musical version of "Jesus Christ Superstar."
During the song, Steve Balsamo belts out some fantastic and high heavy notes. What does the placement feel like to you guys when you sing/imagine this note? So far the only way I can get close to it is an improper deep focus on the inner throat which leaves little range and accuracy.

Link: 

I did a half assed version of this a few years back.  For those high notes you have to create space and height, height in the back of the throat.  

I've learned recently from Tiffany Van Boxtel that some ways to achieve this height and openness is to try these three suggestions and see which one works better for you:

flexing eyebrows

yawning

and yes, try to raise up your ears

It sounds crazy but it works. it's an intentional configuration.  It's not natural, nor will it feel "right" until you feel and hear the results.

Watch the videos. I had to watch these several times to "get it."

In order to made those very high notes (E4-G4), you have to develop a good twang (pharyngeal) voice in the mid register (C#3-G3). 

If you push these notes you are gonna struggle to belt the higher notes. There's people though, that has a poor training on the mid register and weak muscle coordination throughout the bridges and is able to hit those high notes, as they feel more "release" there than anywhere else.

My advice: work twang, work retraction and practice vocal jumps (random and fast jumps without piano, from the first bridge to the highest note you can hit). In regard to the placement, I feel those super-high notes normally in my soft palate which, around that notes, is completely elevated. However, you don't have to forget to feel your epiglottis funnel vibration. Remember, you have to give space to the epiglottis (which is in our throat, just under our huuge tongue) by touching your lower teeth with the tip of your tongue and closing the mouth (afterwards you can open it, actually you must)

If you have difficulties, try different vocals, always helps as you automatically change the throat configuration and muscle coordination.

Also, trying to exactly copy what Balsamo and Neeley are doing it's a great exercise.

Hope this helps you :)

Thank you! I have to admit, I am a bit uneducated in the musical terms. With Twang and Reaction, what does that amount to and how would you work on those?
Also, thank you other for your videos and posts. Those Ron Anderson ones were awesome.

So, a bit of background. I am a junior in High School prepping for my college auditions in November. I aim to take a musical theatre major in an exceedingly talented school, thus the difficult song that I am working on now, which is "Gethsemane" from the musical version of "Jesus Christ Superstar."

During the song, Steve Balsamo belts out some fantastic and high heavy notes. What does the placement feel like to you guys when you sing/imagine this note? So far the only way I can get close to it is an improper deep focus on the inner throat which leaves little range and accuracy.

Link: 

'>

At what time in the song?

At what time in the song?

First one at around 2:55

Second at 3:50.

This are the two main ones I feel will need the most work. The "Scream" of sorts. I have limited experience in actively trying to improve my voice, as it is a relative new venture, and have been working on expanding my range and vocal confidence for awhile. I am largely just working on getting a foundation and idea of how I could hit these notes with power.

First one at around 2:55

Second at 3:50.

This are the two main ones I feel will need the most work. The "Scream" of sorts. I have limited experience in actively trying to improve my voice, as it is a relative new venture, and have been working on expanding my range and vocal confidence for awhile. I am largely just working on getting a foundation and idea of how I could hit these notes with power.

Ahh the rockers scream :) well firstoff, it's not really a belt but a powerfull headvoicetone Robert Lunte fonder of this forum has a great program(the four pillars) really worth investing in if your aiming to master that stuff for your musical career.

Made My highnotes alot better, it's kindo late here but il see if i can find time to demo this for you tomorrow :)

Cheers

Thank you so much! That would be fantastic! As a high school student I don't really have the funds to invest in it right now, but I have been looking into it. Maybe when I get back into a job over the Summer. But a demo would help so much!

Thank you so much! That would be fantastic! As a high school student I don't really have the funds to invest in it right now, but I have been looking into it. Maybe when I get back into a job over the Summer. But a demo would help so much!

No ofc i understand, i was in the same situation like 8-9 years ago. I ended up getting it from my dad, wich was really nice :)

• Administrator

alluru,

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum !!!

Kindly upload a profile pic so I can remove your member title >>> "I STILL Haven’t Uploaded a Profile Pic”

Also, please read the PM's that I have sent you.......

BTW, I hope you aren't feeling "singled out". I send these PM's to some of our members nearly each and every day..... ;)

Thank you !!!

Regards,

Adolph