• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks.. 

Did only one part of the song.  Single take, so there are a couple of rough spots.. 

https://app.box.com/s/6dxajlz22kolfs48nmy8ejtwb2sc6w39

Range is not an issue for me in this song.. Please comment on my tone.. Last time(several months), I had some issues with nasality.  I think I have corrected those 

Also to what extent will the same thing in a professional studio sound better?  What do I need to do to sound pro?  

This feels very authentic to me. From phrasing to your timbre. Very Lenonish. I like it alot. Truly i do!

I dont really hear nasality so i think you got that down! Also this sounds great already, studio might polish it a bit but thats marginal!

Also that preety awesome light phonation. Truly this is something that i cant do at ALL. This song is right up there in my range but i sing it alot more powerful (which is bad). I sound more like Coverdale singing this song instead Paul Mcartney. Kudos A!

This feels very authentic to me. From phrasing to your timbre. Very Lenonish. I like it alot. Truly i do!

I dont really hear nasality so i think you got that down! Also this sounds great already, studio might polish it a bit but thats marginal!

Also that preety awesome light phonation. Truly this is something that i cant do at ALL. This song is right up there in my range but i sing it alot more powerful (which is bad). I sound more like Coverdale singing this song instead Lennon. Kudos A!

Thanks Elvis for your kind words.  

I would like to think all of our voices are capable of producing very different tones and the human voice is an incredibly versatile instrument.  But you are right there is a big difference in technique between light mass and heavy mass.  To me light mass upto G4 or B4 comes relatively easier.  I don't have the muscularity to belt beyond A4 especially in a clean tone without distortion(my personal preference).  

My experience is that light mass is actually more difficult to master and has a very little margin for error. But it is way less fatiguing than singing with a heavier tone.  I might actually sing this more "belty" style in a live environment since it is very difficult to do this well without being able to hear yourself very well. Also, I would think it causes way less damage in the long run as several experts in this forum tell.  

I actually want to learn belting like Bruce Dickenson or Freddie Mercury and probably even they use some kind of a mix voice with a powerful support.  To me it would give me more arrows in the quiver and I view it very important in my evolution as a singer.  And I kinda suck at that at least now  :D

In summary, I think you can work on light mass co-ordination.  I always thought this was impossible for me to sing this way.  If you train for it, I think it should be possible.  

Nice job!

I find McCartney's songs to be quite difficult - he has a way of hitting where it hurts - right in the passaggio. You didn't seem to have any problems with this though, nor did you sound nasal at all.

As far as making it perfect, maybe you could add just a tiny bit more bite to it. Make it cut through a little bit more, if you know what I mean.

Yes, Sir Mc Cartney is an awesome singer and at 70+ he still sings this song decently.  His songs are waaaaay more difficult than they sound.  

Strangely when I try to do Steve Perry who uses a similar technique I really really struggle, since they are maybe one or two notes higher on an average from what Paul Mc Cartney's songs lie.  In mathematical terms in terms of frequencies, an average increase of one semitone is a 4% improvement.  Although in reality the 4% is much larger when you are singing in extreme register.. 

AWESOME Aravind! You did the verses well, although there is room for improvement, but you were killing in the choruses, man! Really good! I think, as this is a "one-take" recording, you were not "in the zone"in the first 1-2 verses. But after that you were rocking! May I humbly suggest you something? Keep doing the "one-take" routine, for it is the best practice for live singing, but add a loop during the recording, so it will replay the backing track as soon as you finish singing, and you can re-sing the beginning, or the whole song again if you feel like it. This way I guarantee you will nail the beginning of the song in the same way you do the middle and end. Keep on rocking man!

AWESOME Aravind! You did the verses well, although there is room for improvement, but you were killing in the choruses, man! Really good! I think, as this is a "one-take" recording, you were not "in the zone"in the first 1-2 verses. But after that you were rocking! May I humbly suggest you something? Keep doing the "one-take" routine, for it is the best practice for live singing, but add a loop during the recording, so it will replay the backing track as soon as you finish singing, and you can re-sing the beginning, or the whole song again if you feel like it. This way I guarantee you will nail the beginning of the song in the same way you do the middle and end. Keep on rocking man!

I have a starting problem on all the songs!!!! LOL

Hey my friend,

This is sounding quite nice. Sounding more natural than other recordings Ive heard from you in the past, this path you took is really great, the lower spots in particular improved, a lot. Nothing that takes away from the result comes to my mind, the tonal quality is good.

About recording on a studio, it can improve things because you will have just one job (singing).

Hey my friend, This is sounding quite nice. Sounding more natural than other recordings Ive heard from you in the past, this path you took is really great, the lower spots in particular improved, a lot. Nothing that takes away from the result comes to my mind, the tonal quality is good.  About recording on a studio, it can improve things because you will have just one job (singing).

Hi my friend. This means a lot to me. I know you have exacting standards and this gives me encouragement that I am on the right track

I'm a fan of the original and I liked your version. You're gaining a lot more control in this lighter voice which is really important. I think you're lightly curbing on this. Welcome to my world. :D

You've had huge improvements man. There's nothing really to critique cause it sounds like it's placed pretty properly and you will only gain refinement if starting from a good place.

Hey Aranvind, you are improving a lot... both, singing and recording. It sounds very natural to me, also like your interpretation. However I think you can even achieve more depth in your voice... for example, in the first verse watch out the word trouble, you are putting it too much in your nose. Same thing with words that finish with ee: Be, me, agree... try to give them more space. 

Please, review and critique my latest post: Donny Hathaway - A song for you

souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-

I'm a fan of the original and I liked your version. You're gaining a lot more control in this lighter voice which is really important. I think you're lightly curbing on this. Welcome to my world. :D

You've had huge improvements man. There's nothing really to critique cause it sounds like it's placed pretty properly and you will only gain refinement if starting from a good place.

Killer.  thanks man.. I don't know what curbing means, but if it sounds alright, then I must be doing something right.  Even after purchasing the pillars, I still sing by instinct.  The pillars has been phenomenally helpful for me to understand what you guys talk about when you say "twang compression needs to be consistent" or "you need to move this portion towads curbing" or "laryx sounds too high" etc

To me when I sing it is 95% instinct.  Of course I have become more aware of what sounds good to audience and more aware about what a consistent tone is.  I have this forum to thank for helping me gain that knowledge.  

The improvement that I have made recently is to add weight "on demand" to a light tone.  A way in which I can come down and add more chest.  I actually don't know how exactly I do it technically. But it gives me a lot of flexibility and I think I am ready to tackle a lot of tougher songs now.  

Hey Aranvind, you are improving a lot... both, singing and recording. It sounds very natural to me, also like your interpretation. However I think you can even achieve more depth in your voice... for example, in the first verse watch out the word trouble, you are putting it too much in your nose. Same thing with words that finish with ee: Be, me, agree... try to give them more space. 

Bono.. Thanks.. I will keep this in mind.. For me "ee" is a very tough sound, especially in the passagio.  I have a much stronger "ah" or "eh"