Rate this topic

Simpan24

• Administrator

ok, first of all, we need to start with... 

What is the whole "... or should I quit" thing?  That is confusing to me, I don't understand what that means?  "Or should I quit"?  Huh?! I seriously do not get what you mean by that, but Ill take a guess... are you trying to say, that if you try to sing an A4 two times... as a beginner, and it isn't perfect, you might consider quitting?  Quitting what? Quitting for the day? Quit drinking so much coffee in the morning? Quit chasing that cheer leader that is playing you like a puppet? or ... quit singing all together?  You got to be kidding me... I truly hope you don't mean, "quit singing or training all together" because if you did actually mean that, you truly are delusional about what your doing... and the good news, what your potential is if you only got serious.

Thats Maestro Lunte tough love, but that is very concerning... Im trying to help you. Put the iphone down, put Facebook down, put the xbox down... get off the couch and go put a microphone in your hand, put "The Four Pillars of Singing" or any other GOOD home study program on and start training your voice for something REAL and amazing one day. Get out of the whole, ".... if I just do this one new tip, maybe I can get it to work" mode... The voice is a muscle. You have to work it out, stretch it out, flex it, contract it, open it, ... vocal training is an athletic endeavor. Your voice will NEVER do what you want it to do, until you work it out and build the strength and coordination to do these things... and sing a lot on top of that to apply it. This means about 1-2 hours a day, at least 4-7 days a week when you are a beginner. When your not with your band, you are working on songs and training your technique scales...  

You are perfectly aware that a guitarist and a drummer have to practice, right?  What makes you think that the voice isn't an instrument just like those instruments that doesn't require a life time of practice? If we look at singing as an athletic sport, ... you know that a gymnast, a basketball player, a golfer and a hockey player all have to practice, right? What makes you think the human voice doesn't need to have the same repetition and muscle memory requirements as those sports?  

Now, about your A4... it blows... it barely is an A4, not sure you actually even sang an A4, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, lets just say you did, kinda... 

• The best way to NEVER get an A4, is to do exactly what your doing... keep shouting like hell at it. That is never going to work. Shouting like frickin hell at it, doesn't work. Been there, tried that my self a few times... everyone on this forum has... we can all save you a lot of pain and frustration and assure you with absolute certainty, shouting like frick'n hell at it, ... isn't going to work.  It actually makes it worse. Shouting at an A4 like that is like standing in the kiddie pool up to your waist, and slapping the water with your arm. You can slap the water like hell ... as hard as you can, and it will never go into the water smoothly... it will always smack back at you and sting your arm... The physics of singing are similar. The more you shout like hell at it, .. the more its going to lock down on you, get tight and turn into a choking duck... you need to balance your formant. Balance the physics of the acoustics of your voice to make the A4 release and resonate. "The higher the pitch, the lighter the mass".

• Your embouchure is all messed up... I can't see this to verify this, but I'm quite sure it is. It usually is with beginners. It is one of the first things you learn, how to hod a decent embouchure. No doubt, I would bet my life that you don't have an embouchure at all. If you do, its the embouchure you need when you .... "shout like hell"... you probably have the "shout like hell" embouchure... so I'll give you that, you DO have an embouchure, but its not one for singing, it is the one for shouting real hard at something.

• Your vowel is not right because you haven't been practicing any vowels and really don't understand what they are, how to use them, etc...

• Your workout, isn't really a work out... its sloppy sweeping up to "some note" that has no care what so ever to the first note (the onset) or any of the notes in between... your not thinking, "... I have to make a coordinated, fluid and balanced movement from this note to this note (A4) in a smooth and controlled way"... No, your thinking, "... I gotta hit this A4. I just gotta hit this thing!  If I try go get more ae/a (cat) about it, maybe that will make it go... maybe Im not hitting that note hard enough"... you'll never get it with that view of how to sing a note. 

Now I'm picking on you a bit here, to make a point... there are about 4-5 good reasons why the A4 isn't working for you... all are things you learn when you decide to train and practice and really get serious about this. Until then, you're just in the kiddie pool, slap'n the water... and it will always be that way, until YOU decide to make the commitment to train and learn how the voice really works.... if you want to go into the deep end, where the rest of us are "swimming"... follow me...

I like that analogy "Singing A4 with a shout is like Belly flopping into the water" (I paraphrased just a little bit). You want to dive and cut the water not belly flop and slap the water.  I never thought of it like that before.

Thats brutal post Simpan.

I couldnt "hit" A4 in the beggining, not even like you but i worked my way up and now i can sing it. Not the best A4 but its "ok". Point is, that takes time.

Also if you are really saying you are gonna quit cuz you cant "hit" A4 than i dont think you love singing a much as you think. There is nothing that would keep me away from singing unless someone rip my tongue or larynx out.

Wierd post. Just practice and dont get ahead of yourself. I saw you play guitar also. Did you quit after you couldnt grab that Aminor the first 2-3 times you tried? I dont think so.

• Administrator

That's Maestro Lunte tough love, but that is very concerning... Im trying to help you. Put the iphone down, put Facebook down, put the xbox down... get off the couch and go put a microphone in your hand, put "The Four Pillars of Singing" or any other GOOD home study program on and start training your voice for something REAL and amazing one day. You have to work it out, stretch it out, flex it, contract it, open it, ... vocal training is an athletic endeavor. Your voice will NEVER do what you want it to do, until you work it out and build the strength and coordination to do these things... and sing a lot on top of that to apply it. This means about 1-2 hours a day, at least 4-7 days a week when you are a beginner. When your not with your band, you are working on songs and training your technique scales...  

EXACTLY !!!

And also note what's in bold print !!!!

I'm just a newbie and I'm certain the experienced members of the community will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather here the "optimal" method of developing a strong and usable (very important!) high register is by learning to bridge into headvoice(or m2 register) well.

• Administrator

... is it? I don't think its brutal Elvis...  Its the truth.  And anyone that thinks my post is just about being mean, you don't get me and that is not the tactic. I would not take that time and energy, which is free time I might add... just to be mean to a member of my forum. 

Thicken your skin... because this is the reality of what it takes to really get good. With tough love, I am trying to help Simpan... I want to cut through all the notions about singing and training that come from staring at YouTube for hours upon hours and never realizing that its mostly about commitment... and that means its about training and singing.

Call me "mean" if you like, I don't care... because I know exactly where my heart is... and it is entirely in a good faith position and interest in helping Simpan... and this is how I choose to do it. Im not going to baby sit Simpan, I believe that he understands where Im coming from and will step up and meet the challenge... if he is passionate enough to do this. That is where Im putting my bets and my tone has saved us a lot of time and confusion for Simpan... not for me necessarily because Im offering this service (the forum and the post) for FREE... so ponder that reality as well before you judge my attitude... Elvis, I just want to cut to the chase... I want to get real results for our friend, not win a popularity contest... If he starts training and learns to sing an A4 like Rob Halford on a good day in four weeks from now... and the cost of that success was that he thought I was an asshole.. then that would be a success to me too... I couldn't care less if he thinks Im an asshole, if it motivates him in some way to pursue his dream.

Respectfully, 

... is it? I don't think its brutal Elvis...  Its the truth. 

Rob i was reffering to the original post, hence why i said Simpan and not Rob. ;)

I think your post Rob is spot on! No mistakes there!

• Administrator

Thanks guys, I'm glad you "get it" and understand... I assumed you would.

No, I have a very big heart actually... It is just one, out of many tactics that are available to me, help a student of singing technique. That doesn't mean that what I wrote is a "put-on", it isn't.. its very true... but I go with my "gut" and my gut was telling me, Simpan needs tough love, not sugar coating... seems I was right based on his response...  a lot of young guys need a kick in the ass... some respond well to it and "take your powder, take your gun, report to General Washington..." :55... (for us old school guys... )...  others, don't get it... It is a way of washing out the serious guys from those that are not prepared to work. 

I saw Bob in there at 2:46.. up there near NY? ... 

• Administrator

Haha i dont think youre an asshole lunte. You have a great knowledge of singing. Do you do Skype lessons? And how much Does it cost?

Simpan... Note, your training has already started...  ;)

With some things in life, you don't shop for "cost"... you shop for value. Your singing voice and your dream to sing well is not a cable TV bill or a decision on how much storage you want on your new iPhone 6... It is your voice, a part of your physical health actually, and an instrument and your dream... so you need to be shopping for VALUE when it comes to making a decision about singing technique... fortunately, I can honestly say, I do offer you a LOT of value... 

To answer your question, CLICK HERE >>> for internet lessons. Notice a block saves you $10/session. 

However,... you really need the training content so you can practice as the video above is pointing out... only taking lessons isn't enough. What do you do AFTER the lesson? Will you remember what your teacher told you? Will you have scales and routines to practice on your own? Will you have a reference to go to , to remind you of what is this and what is that, etc..?  No, not unless you also have the training content, book, videos, etc... So... I have created a "New Student Package".  CLICK HERE >>> for the New Student Package. You get:

• The complete "The Four Pillars of Singing" home study program and routines, both as a digital download and an online, streaming version that works on any device, including tablets and smart phones (very cool!).

• 3 hours of training with me to make sure you are getting off to a good start and not practicing mistakes.

Simpan, honestly... based on what Ive heard from you so far... I REALLY think you need the lessons too.  I don't think your going to get out of the mud with ONLY the home study program. Few actually can, but in your case, you need to get in front of me and totally start over on how you perceive the singing voice and then what the hell your suppose to do.  This package is a $152 savings... its a good deal. With these three lessons and the home study program to carry you through... you will really have an honest chance to change things permanently for your voice and get moving in a direction that is obviously better and working... with promise for your future in singing. 

Others reading this... before you conclude that Im just trying to sell my stuff... stop!  For starters, I won't apologize for trying to make a living, especially on my own forum where I have already provided you a free service... 2nd, my recommendation for Simpan, is honestly.. .the best way I can help him... its not endless, abstract and complicated postings on this forum. Its not sitting for hours on YouTube trying to find "free secret tips"... to get real progress from ANY coach... you need to train. I'm not going to be shy about offering my services, especially when it is EXACTLY THE THING THAT THE CUSTOMER NEEDS... that is my job.

does it sound better or should i quit? 

https://soundcloud.com/rms-17/practice-a4

Come on man that is the most self-defeating way to approach something that should be incredibly fun.  Yes, there is hard work and patience that goes into it but it's supposed to be F#(@*$!!~* FUN.  If you are holding the art of singing on such a fine balance that one bad note is enough to consider quitting perhaps you just aren't really getting what it's about yet.  Find your passions in life and stick with it, don't quit the second something becomes unsure or difficult.  

• Administrator

Simpan, we are just getting behind you and encouraging you... but Jeremy is correct... 

Look... vocal training and singing.... is a life style. Its something you will do all your life and not only the super fun part, singing in front of an audience, is the only thing that your passionate about... Your also passionate about training, and learning how the voice works, exploring your own voice capabilities, geeking out on a forum occasionally and always pursuing the next level of achievement.

Its a lifestyle, like... always being in a band, or always going to church and being true to your faith.. .if thats your "thing", or running every morning and being consistent in the gym... 

• Administrator

Your welcome buddy... I hope to be the guy that gets to help you... Ill look forward to your response.

Also... I was once you... a young guy that had a dream to sing great... to sing like Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Steve Perry, Ray Alder, etc... all those guys that have big, high belts and operatic nuances... I STILL am the same person... I LOVE singing like that... and understanding how that kind of singing is done, has been a source of inspiration to me for years as a singer and as a coach.  I "get it" bro... I was listening and struggling with "Headed out to the highway" before you were born I suspect... Seriously.  Ive walked your path. But then I found a great voice teacher, and fell in love with the idea of really practicing and getting good at this... having answers and knowing that I could really do it... IF... I practiced and worked hard... the rest is history... maybe your the same way?  In case you are, I just did you a favor... 

One thing is for sure... I didn't have the internet, skype lessons, YouTube or the training content and product that you have available to you. I didn't have the same voice teacher you could have in me. Don't misunderstand my comment, my coaches were great, but that was from another era... before knowledge of how the voice works and an explosion of new ideas and products became the new way of things with the internet... you have more opportunity and a better chance then I ever had... lets see what you do with it... 

• Administrator

Robert is right. "Should I quit" is not in the vocabulary.

Quit? Did someone say quit because its hard?  Not on this forum. We don't quit around here... we just keep marching to the beat of "get up and try it again", by the band "Tough Love".  Nope, "quit" is a four letter word... we don't allow profanity like that on our forum... because last time I checked... quitting is for... QUITTERS!  Isn't it?  Let's have a show of hands... who wants to be a quitter?  Any takers out there?  Ok... I didn't think so.

Hold the line men... we will not retreat... not one inch!

Awesome posts guys! I really hope it worked to show not only our new friend Simpan, but many others who come here with this idea of singing being a God given thing, and not achievable through learning and practicing the right techniques. I was like that once before. When I was starting to learn how to play guitar, I would strum the chords of my guitar and try to sing the lyrics of several songs, and fail terribly. My mum, who could sing and had a terrific ear for pitch, would just tell me to focus on playing and leave the singing to others. I understand where she came from, as many of my family members were really good singers and musicians. Today, thanks to the very knowledgeable guys from this forum, and lots of readings, I know better. Welcome to the world of vocalists Simpan24! 

Here's an idea I didn't read all the posts so if I am repeating something my bad...

Do you want to be a singer or a guy that just hits notes on a piano? Why don't you sit and learn 5 of your favorite songs. Memorize and sing them over and over. If you are having trouble with a couple notes in the song yell them or flip into falsetto just make sure you are singing the melody. Do it for 3 -6 months, everyday and then check in to see how you are doing

• Administrator

Here's an idea I didn't read all the posts so if I am repeating something my bad...

Do you want to be a singer or a guy that just hits notes on a piano? Why don't you sit and learn 5 of your favorite songs. Memorize and sing them over and over. If you are having trouble with a couple notes in the song yell them or flip into falsetto just make sure you are singing the melody. Do it for 3 -6 months, everyday and then check in to see how you are doing

Maestro Dan, I appreciate your super simple approach here, but... did you listen to the soundcloud? There is more that needs to be done here other then "flailing" on this for 6 months. Our friend  needs some basic tuning, understanding of how the voice works, some vowel understanding, a decent onset and more. It seems what you are saying is that it will work itself out... maybe... but I doubt it. Not what we are hearing, there needs to be some "intel" behind this... 

Respectfully,... 

I didnt hear the clip as it was taken down.  But when i started singing this is what i did.  Then once I felt what it feels like to carry a tune. i learned more songs and eventually got lessons to figure out some things. 

Through the joy of singing i got better and then through that I wanted to learn how to hit higher notes easier.. 

I am pretty sure this is how 90% of all of our favorite singers learned how to sing.. ;)