Steve Perry - Open Arms - Cover by 8tor (1st attempt)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys,

Well, my day work is not letting me work on my singing skills...he he he...

Let me know if you think I am going on the right direction with this attempt...

Some of the highs are not good, too much air and pressure, I believe... well, nothing like being an amateur... ;o)

Many thanks!!!

www.8tor.ca

Great job 8tor! This is a tough song. You did the 1st verse and pre-chorus beautifully, and nailed the chorus (actually both choruses). I think you may have lost your placement or support during 2nd verse and 2nd pre-chorus, that is why you got into trouble with the high notes there. I just couldn't believe that you sang the chorus so well and were not so good in the 2nd verse because with me it is the opposite: when I practice this song I always run into trouble in the choruses, although have little problem with the 2nd chorus. Still, I think you did well, but You have to practice to make it consistent. Keep them coming!

Hi Gneetapp,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will definitely continue practicing to make it consistent!

Take care!

8tor

Hi 8tor. You chose an easy song, uh? :D First of all you have a nice tone, I liked very much. The lower parts are good, you're in the right direction, I think. Just try to control a little more the air emission. Higher parts I think are a little forced: maybe you don't fully reach those notes, but you'll probably do when you'll "place" better the sound. I think you definitely have to keep up working on your voice (even if u have little time) because it's worth it. Cheers! 

Hi Neko,

Yes, tell me about it... but I do like the Steve Perry's style of singing... powerful and soulful. I like his tone. I don't want to sing like him (impossible and not good... poor Filipino having to deal with the comparisons...) Anyway, i like the style and want to develop my singing voice on the same lines.

You are completely right. Not knowing yet my voice, makes me work harder than I need, causing a countereffect and making my voice crack on high notes. I am working on controlling the flow and volume so I get that fixed... ;o) Placement and volume must be mastered yet by me... I will get there eventually.

Thank you for advice and everybody else for the supporting words!

Take care

8tor

PS: Thanks Pekka!

Actually in the highest parts you surely have to improve your technique. However, I think you are in the right direction :-) I mostly liked the interpretation and you voice too.

You might also try to lower that backing track a tone.

Hey 8tor,

Good voice but those higher notes need more work. Basically you are trying to bring your speech vowels up into the higher range which simply doesn't work very well. I hear a lot of splatty "ah" vowels and your ee's and oo's are very tight. A good teacher could help you clean that up. Or you could listen to recordings of good singers and copy their vowels.

Besides singing and teaching I also make beats and remixes. Check them out here: https://blend.io/sexybeast

Hi SB,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will bring this up to my coach and at the same time will try to pay more attention to Steve's vowels.

Many thanks!