This song is a great exercise

Rate this topic

Playing around with this tune to get a Gerry Rafferty sound. It sits right near the break and has to be smooth and controlled to get his sound. No wonder there's hardly any live versions with him singing it. You really have to finesse the hell out of it. Also calls for serious breath management skill.

I always liked this song. Especially for the sax parts. But I would listen and wait for what I still feel is one of the best guitar solos of all time. Not fast, not shredding, just full of feel and emotion.

Am I missing something? He doesn't seem to go above the D4, phrases seem easy, yes it needs a gentler touch and that can be tough if I'm not warned up properly, but once I'm warmed up i think this would be a piece of cake

I always liked this song. Especially for the sax parts. But I would listen and wait for what I still feel is one of the best guitar solos of all time. Not fast, not shredding, just full of feel and emotion.

Everyone always talks about the sax hook which is great and gives the song its identity, but the guitar solo is just as great. I agree it's one of the best of all time, phrased beautifully and has no excess notes.

I really like the vocal on this song as well. People kept covering this song and trying to do other things with it and it always failed to my ears because the contrast between the sensitive and delicate reading of the vocalist as he relates the narrative about the drunken drifter in the song, with the epic hooks and solos filling in the imagery of the drifter's life was basically perfect as is. 

Try it Owen.  Try going for that vocal sound and delivery.  It's not the range.  It's the control that's required right near the passagio and there's many places to lose pitch accuracy.

One of those songs that sounds easier than it is.

This song is about him and his struggles with alcohol.

I also liked the Foo Fighters' cover of this song where they changed the lyric to say "give up the crack and the one-night stands" instead of "give up the booze ... stands"