Misconceptions over in the guitarists' forum

Rate this topic

carp

Of course.   But it's not just the thread creator, it's most - not all - of the respondents.   I actually posted a link to the thread from here containing many examples. You'd think someone might check it out, and come back with 'wow, I didn't know...'.

I've concluded that a minority of people that participate in forums do so in order to actually learn something.   A great many are just there to say stuff.  As in life I guess.

I would be surprised if all those people actually played guitar!

​Well sure, there's lots of talkers.   But lots of real players too.  There is a particularly interesting example in the linked thread of the attitude other musicians have towards singing.  One of the posters in the thread (not the OP)  is a frequent and valuable contributor in the 'playing and technique' subforum, very knowledgeable and articulate about music theory, among other things, and a member in at least one band playing challenging music  (so he says anyway, but I believe him) and I think with a university degree in music in some form. This same guy responds affirmatively in the thread, agreeing that it's a drag to be baritone because of his inability to sing above some (not very high) note.    

It's just very odd, the almost willful ignorance regarding technical aspects of such big part of music.

I remember that thread. No one can agree about the fach of any singer, but everyone can agree everyone else in the thread is a doomed baritone.

In all honesty I wish there were more baritone range singers in pop though. Certain voices just shine in certain areas. I'm not sure there will ever be techniques to make every voice shine in all areas. High note obsession sucks.

Kind of wish microphone music could could start over with another Bing Crosby type character and start over. Let it build into something new, different, exciting. Everyone wanting to sing high leads to blandness imo.

@carp there is a lot of ignorance and sometimes its plain frustrating.

On singing you have to be awesome, but if you say you study it, you are faking it.

You have to be perfect every time. But if you say you can sing a song, you are arrogant.

Fachs matter for everyone else, except for you, no in your case you are a natural gifted alien, so whatever you do, it's no big deal. Oh you studied to do it? Yeah it sounds like you did, fake.

I don't know why people always just go along with that type of stuff instead of trying to prove things wrong. I'm a baritone and I've pushed head voice up to D5. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I listened to these silly vocal limits.

I think fach only matters for classical singing/opera? With proper bridging, range shouldn't really be related to fach, though I think some would argue that baritones have a trickier time navigating the passagio.

Edit: The linked forum seems to be down due to server migration. Will check it out again when it's back up.