Switching from head voice to belting

Rate this topic

Vats

Hi people,

I've always been a pure head voice singer but lately, I don't like the thinner tone of it that much. I've occasionally slipped into belting (esp live and at rehearsal) without consciously trying to and what I realized was that you can't go much above C#5 with that technique but it does sound fuller/heavier. It also seems a bit harder to have great diction when compared to the pure head voice technique. But I'm really taken by the sound, so it would be awesome to be able to make a smooth connection of belting till C#5 and then switch seamlessly to the more piercing head voice sound.

As you can tell from the above, I'm not a trained singer at all though I've read some literature and seen some videos. What are some good ways to start on belting so I start doing it more naturally and on establishing the seamless connection between that and the thinner head voice thing for very high notes? Thanks!

So, how is the album going? I remember you from before. Really good songs and singing. So, why, all of a sudden, does your perception of your voice change? You sounded great on those recordings.  Did some person of doubtful intelligence, maybe someone who could not find his way out of a wet paper bag if he had a sharp knife in each hand flailing away, a person of such questionable competence that he would not be able to pour water out of a boot if the instructions for doing so were stenciled on the bottom of the boot say something that made you feel bad or doubt yourself and you believed him?

My mother said to not converse with fools. Someone might see us and not be able to determine which person is which.

Hahaha! That was really descriptive, the bit about that mythical critic. But he doesn't really exist. It's just a different type of sound that I've noticed lately that I get into from time to time and I wanted to find out if there was a way to practice and be able to do it consistently, whenever needed. It's always good to have different tonal options, don't you think? :)

Thanks so much for the kind words on my music and singing. It's going really well actually, we managed to find our way into Prog Magazine, Rolling Stone (India) and a bunch of other publications and wesbsites and almost all reviews have been very positive :)

I think it's cool to have different tonal options, but the thing is with straight heavy non-bridged belting, in my opinion, that it leads to an imbalance in registration, taking you away from the natural resonance shift points. Some people here refer to a thing called "one voice", which is holy grail of singing for a lot of us. :) It is a self-regulating mechanism that allows you not to think about bridges, and just sing naturally, allowing your voice to go where it wants to be. I'd rather be focused on strengthening the head voice, developing a "call" register up higher, greater TA activation, taking more mass and belty quality up in the head. "The Four Pillars" program has a lot of  different exercises that can help to build this kind of sound if you didn't already. :) If your head voice is boomy as hell and you just want even more shouty and "weightlifty" quality on the high notes, then straight belting is the way, I think...

In my limited experience (and I've read this term used in a few places as well), it has a lot to do with vowel modification...it feels like a more open and big sound when I belt. I've only recently been experimenting with it at rehearsal and occasionally at gigs I try it in certain places (I also always find it much easier to do in the first half of a set than in the second although that may be due to not being used to the muscle movements and getting tired from it easily or using too much of something). But because of the open vowel sound, diction seems to suffer a bit so it tends to work better in heavier sections of music but I've heard singers who have great diction and they get that sound...one of my favourites in this regard is Joe Lynn Turner (although I don't like much of the music he does) but when he sings ballads, he still sounds open, big and melodic.

I don't know if I've made much sense with this post in explaining the sound that I'm after because I am not really a very trained singer, so I don't know too many technical terms. When I sing in the range from G4 to B4, it sounds a bit more pinched/squeezed than I'd like. If you check out this song from 2:25 to 2:47 and compare it to a JLT (Rainbow) song like "Street of Dreams" and "Can't Let You Go" you'll see what I mean...this is not a plug, I swear, only trying to demonstrate what I mean. In this song, in the time period I mention, I hit a B4 around 2:47 and it sounds a bit more pinched and less open/big than I'd like. And I know it's not a voice type thing because I've hit that big, open sound in rehearsals or gigs sometimes. I just wanted to know if there are some exercises that can help me do that more consistently and whenever I want (and still be able to do the piercing high thing when I want THAT sound). Thanks for reading through this dense, inarticulate post.

Do you have a live version of this section of your tune?

I don't, sorry. I don't always do the belting type of sound live, just something I've occasionally noticed live and at rehearsal.

• Administrator

I'd rather be focused on strengthening the head voice, developing a "call" register up higher, greater TA activation, taking more mass and belty quality up in the head. "The Four Pillars" program has a lot of  different exercises that can help to build this kind of sound if you didn't already. 

Hey Lazlo, thanks for pointing this out... Yes indeed. In the last 18 months I have put a lot of time and energy into adding a LOT of onsets, narrowed vowel training formulas, videos, detailed "how-to" routines and demonstrations  into "The Four Pillars of Singing" to make sure that the "bottom-up" training content is all there for clients. In fact, a lot of the techniques are the "call" register ideas you are referring to above and a lot of TA and Vocalis strengthening... in laymen's terms, belt training... or pulling chest voice (in a good way). It takes a lot of training and work, but once you start getting it, its fun, fun, fun... anyways, Im proud of the fact that my program now is offering a LOT of this kind of training... in addition to the lighter mass stuff to help people get bridged, coordinated and tuned up. I made this video to support this effort. 

Anyone that is interested in getting and learning techniques to build more mass on top and chesty, send me a PM and Ill help you out and give you a special "TMV World Member" deal... ;)

Lazlow, are you a client of TVS? How is it going for you? Let me know if I can answer any questions you might have...