Evanescence - "My Immortal" Cover

Rate this topic

Hiya, 

Haven't posted on here in a while.. Anyway I had a go at My Immortal by Evanescence. Any thoughts? Also how do you know what sort of songs would sound good with your voice? I've had a go at a few before and decided they sounded terrible, maybe I'm just a bit fussy! I also like to listen to quite a few different genres of music, mainly rock and pop though, but I think I sound a bit silly doing upbeat rock songs, is it a man's domain maybe?

• Administrator

Annette,

I listened to your recording of the Evenecense song...

- Your voice sounds nice, so the fundamental requirement of having a "feel" for singing is there.. so congratulations there. 

- You seem to have a sense of "feel" and interpretation, which is also good, related to point 1 above.

- Your production / recording is ok... I would turn down the reverb, its a little to saucy in that regard... 

What can be worked on:

• Annette, your timing and cues are a bit wishy washy... you need to feel the "meter" of this song better... you need to feel the quarter notes and if you really want to feel a "groove", learn to count and feel the 8th notes.
    • Take this song or any song and count, "1&2&3&4&... 1&2&3&4&... and feel the syncopated 8th note, up beat... do this over and over again with this song, with any song, with commercials on TV any form of music as a game that you play for a few weeks and you will begin to "feel" and lock in the cues. Now,... I am no drum teacher so, feeling accents and groove can go very deep Im sure... what I am suggesting is a very simple, basic thing you can do as a singer... I have discovered with myself and my students that if you can feel the syncopated 8th note the "ands" and accent them... you can lock into a groove on about 9 out of 10 songs you would ever sing, regardless of genre... the exception would be some polyrhythmic, strange thing with changes from art rock bands like "Gentle Giant" whose sole purpose is to make it complicated... or equally "artsy" classical arias from Romantic and Contemporary composers such as Wagner or Coplan... but clearly, neither is what most people do... 

The biggest issue with the singing on this recording...

• Annette, you need more compression on your voice, specifically your vocal folds. There is too much wind coming through your vocal folds... and this is very typical thing to do for people that don't have voice training, have never trained... and I must say, especially women. Women sing to default to this "sweet windy" sound that is just not what you want to do in most cases... therefore, to get more compression or fold closure in your voice, you need to learn about vocal twang and that means, you need to train it... you need vocal training techniques; scales, onsets, etc... that will help you to get a feel for and strengthen and coordinate your voice for the compression that your voice HAS to have to be taken seriously as a singer.
    • I do offer a comprehensive vocal training program that enjoys 100%, 5-Star Reviews from anyone that has bothered to review the program after training with is. It is called "The Four Pillars of Singing" and you can learn more about it by clicking that link... 
    • I also offer a "New Student Package"... that gets you the complete "4Pillars" training system + 3 skype lessons with me.. I highly recommend that you do this if your serious. With lessons, I can almost guarantee that you will learn about twang and have this issue bending you, provided that you train what you learn... this package saves you $152, its the best value.
    • I encourage you to read the PDFs below in my signature as well, in particular the ones that say:

Now, you can draw the conclusion that I'm just trying to sell you my stuff and some people might, but that wouldn't change the fact that, this is the best thing you could do to help you with your singing and the best way I can help you... or any good coach can help you. You need a good coach and you need to train and learn about how the singing voice works so you can build a real singing voice and not just default to this coming, "sweet and windy" vibe that people, especially women, so often do... 

I hope this helps... also, please upload a picture to your profile, thanks. 

I agree with Robert on the timing issues. It may be latency. As for the sound, it depends on whether or not you are trying to sound like Amy Lee. And you don't sound even close, which is okay.

Also, this is not an upbeat pop song. It is more like a dirge. So, I don't know how "bad" you sound on an upbeat song until you sing one.

Hi there
Thanks for the comments, they are helpful :-) Yes I am aware my timing is a bit rubbish already, I'm just not sure what to do about it! I can generally always feel the beat of the song but I sometimes get a bit confused how to fit the words over the top. I used to play the flute when i was younger and looking at the music you can see where you are supposed to play and how long for and when you are supposed to rest, but I find with the singing I'm listening to the track and then sort of trying to memorize where to sing etc. I'm sure that is not the best way to go about it.. 
Yes as far as the singing goes I haven't had any training. I've had a handful of lessons, I'll have to google what you have said later! I wasn't trying to sound like Amy, I just like the song so I thought I'd have a go at it. With the recording side of things, I'm a bit of a 'techno-phobe' so yes I haven't really mastered it. All I have bascially managed to do is record my voice using audacity, remove the background noise and whack some reverb on it. I'll turn that down a bit next time but I find it all a bit confusing because when I listen to the track through my headphones with no reverb on it I think it sounds OK and then I listen to the same thing just coming through the ipad and it sounds really harsh and terrible so I decide to put it on after all. I think I may be hiding behind it slightly..

Because that is the difference in playback devices. Sadly, we do have to consider that others will only hear us on wireless devices, and not even through their own desktop, which could have a decent set of speakers.

I used to use Audacity. If you are having a timing problem, it is most times due to latency. The way to fix that is take your vocal track and choose the effect tempo change. Then, type in .01 percent. It will tighten up the whole thing. Then, choose the double headed arrow thing for cursor and move the vocal track just slightly to your left, aligning with a beat in the song. Audacity can have some atrocious latency and this is the easiest fix for it.

And don't forget you have other tools. EQ, panning. You can duplicate your vocal track and apply different effects to the duplicate. Mix how much each track is prominent.