Rate this topic

Poll: "THE SNILE"  

10 members have voted

1. 1. I have tried "THE SNILE"...

• Yes, I have tried "THE SNILE".
    • No, I didn't try "THE SNILE".

• Administrator

WHAT THE HELL IS A "SNILE"?

I have formulated a new idea this morning that is great... I share with thee... This is a technique that is used to help train singing through narrowed vowels and improving the articulation of your lyrics when singing high. This technique is also great for resonating to forward positions and amplifying the "cup" of the hard palette. 

A snile is a cross between a sneer and a smile. It is used in singing to help narrow singing vowels to maintain intrinsic musculature support and stability with amplification, when singing pop / rock music above the passaggio.

The_SNILE.thumb.jpg.49047ab9a8c2c6bafbf0

Mastery of The SNILE will greatly train your kinesthetic feel for narrowing vowels, resonating forward into an "edgier" position, and amplifying while keeping acoustic mass low and balanced.

"THE SNILE" is characterized by:

• A lifting of the upper lip to expose the forward teeth of the embouchure.
  • A "narrowing" of the embouchure, to prevent "splatting".
  • A very strong, amplified, forward resonant position in the "cup" of the hard palette and "edgey pings" off the forward teeth.
    • Must have dampened larynx or anchoring of the larynx.

Notice How Geddy Lee of the prog. band, RUSH tracks "Limelight" through the "SNILE"!

Who said that "FREE" Secret Tips Didn't Exist?! 

TRY "THE SNILE" NOW!! 

... and post your results here! 

:blink:

Video demonstration on "THE SNILE" coming soon... 

"THE SNILE" is just one idea and technique. It is not a "global" solution for all things singing... it you want to get a feel for forward resonance and narrowing, it is good for that. It can also help you to sing very accurately with great intonation and articulation.

Cool Robert, Jack Black uses that all the time......If you watch DIO carefully you will see that he also uses that...... The corners of the mouth are pulled in towards each other and the top and bottom lips and jaw do the moving.

• Administrator

Yes.

There are other configurations to get into, but this is fun. It seems like a joke to some, but it is actually a real thing. When I do it, I feel a very good amplification in the forward hard palette "cup"... it is a good position for singing, in some situations. 

I'm actually pretty sure I've done this one. I tend to sing a compromise between whatever emotion I'm feeling and whatever 'works' for the desired note to get out. 

To me this is a caustic kind of expression, maybe even sadistic. I can make it sound pretty evil. I've met sadistic personalities, and their timbre is often has the fake pleasant smile, with the undercurrent of viciousness. Especially when involved in the sadistic act.

So if working on a song with that kind emotion I think I'd use it more intuitively.  I've found after singing for a lot of years emotionally, you explore so many different positions of the face it's like, subconsciously a lot of it gets mapped out and you can recall the positions for timbre purposes as well.

I use a more extreme version of this, basically the snile but I also scrunch the nose up.   It really helps me access head resonance, especially when I'm purposefully carrying up a heavy "late bridging" sound up to ~C5 or so.

I KNEW this was a topic created by you when I read the title, Rob! I was reading, looking at the onset vids and getting used to doing things with the resonant tracking shape. I was liking what it did in conjunction with hard palate use.

• Administrator

Cool Geoff! I had a feeling in my "gut" there is something more then just humor to "THE SNILE"... it is interesting to see that some of you have also discovered this position. I think I have felt myself doing this, in particular, when recording/tracking tunes... but never quite fully realized it until this morning. I was playing around with it with one of my students to help clean up articulation and get narrowed better and then I noticed, "..hey that is exactly what Geddy is doing to get that clean, articulate and "punctual" interpretation.

There is something about tracking/recording and "THE SNILE" that makes sense. Not sure why, but "THE SNILE" tends to want to creep in when your tracking... :blink:

"THE SNILE" is the new rage, its sweeping the world with hysteria.

Check out the Poll at the top, you gotta try "THE SNILE" and cast your poll... !

:rolleyes:

I think this is another example of a sniler.  Although maybe he has more going on with his lower lip, and also his embouchure is maybe wider than with the pure snile?

• Administrator

Carp!!!

Wow, great voice. I have never heard that song or band before. My gut tells me this only looks like "The snile", but I dare say, is not quite officially snile certified. I think to be snile certified, it need be tighter , more narrowed like Geddy... 

4815797044_grinning_horse_xlarge.png

• Administrator

I think Jeremy gets credit for that video, from this thread a while back   http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/topic/4740-high-larynx-is-good/.     I thought that narrower was key to perfect sniling, good to have that confirmed.

Carp,

i did t see anything in there about the snile? You scared me for a secind... I was afraid that Jeremy was the one true discoverer of the snile?! No way man... The snile is mine, all mine!! I want to be remembered as the man that named the snile! Ya, it's up there with the light bulb, penicillin, the wheel, etc...

jk... I'm just playing with you guys... The snile is a real technique , but there is something humorous about it to me as well... I'm having fun with the snile...

I think Jeremy gets credit for that video, from this thread a while back   http://www.themodernvocalistworld.com/topic/4740-high-larynx-is-good/.     I thought that narrower was key to perfect sniling, good to have that confirmed.

Carp,

i did t see anything in there about the snile? You scared me for a secind... I was afraid that Jeremy was the one true discoverer of the snile?! No way man... The snile is mine, all mine!! I want to be remembered as the man that named the snile! Ya, it's up there with the light bulb, penicillin, the wheel, etc...

jk... I'm just playing with you guys... The snile is a real technique , but there is something humorous about it to me as well... I'm having fun with the snile...

​The snile is mine Robert muahahahahah!!  ;)  And thanks for the credit Carp. :)  Glad to see you enjoyed the song.  Also, Robert, surely you have heard of Graham Bonnet through bands like Rainbow?  He isn't as popular as he should be but most die hard music fans know of him.  Thanks for the thread and technique ideas Robert. 

• Administrator

Yes, I think Neil has some snilage going on there... what a great song!... Love this tune.  I REALLY far prefer the acoustic songwriter Neil Young... when he rocks out with the "Crazy Horse"... it's just not as cool in my opinion. 

:symxmask: