Back neck muscles on high notes

Rate this topic

I got really tired back neck muscles on a high head-whistle session i did, like i went to the gym only to workout these specific part of my neck. I needed 2-3 days to get back to "normal", it happens first time like that, also it might be a cold but in any case i am worried about their role in singing. I tried to notice when they come into play on my singing, that is after a#4 on mix and c5 on head i start to feel they engage. When i try to focus on the whistle register they are much more active with more power especially when i go higher near c6.

Is it something i should worry about? Is it just that they need to be strengthened?

It's not correct.

First things first you could just be vocalizing way too high for you right now. I get some neck tension around f5 in head and Ab4 full chest not starting to mix correctly. These are just the result of approach a ceiling in the range where you were supposed to shift something to free up the voice to ascend higher but instead you are pushing for the height.

regardless of its a range related problem try these things anyways:

Take a video of yourself vocalizing and singing in a profile view and check out your neck and spinal posture make sure it is correct (note - a flattened lower back is okay sometimes, everything else would be the "by the book" way ). You can also check it by lying on the floor and singing or standing against a wall and singing. Most of your body should be touching against either surface in these cases.

Make sure you are supporting correctly and using your lower abs as an anchor point to drive the sound and that you feel and see no outer neck tension - try it move it around freely in different directions as you phonate, it should work. video this as well to look at where your body wants to stop the movement due to a tension locking you up. 

In any case the problem is usually too little support (tension only in upper body/neck/head meaning you need more lower body support and less in the upper body ) or too much or incorrect support causing tension to travel all the way up the body (incorrect means you need to fix how you support and then release the tensions up in the neck etc, too much of correct support making you tense up there means you are pushing too hard somehow)

By the way when you correct all these issues the sound may sound terrible, and this is where it helps to have a teachers help to confirm you're on the right track because it can be counterintuitive to an auditory type of person - you can strip everything out and get to a point where weak intrinsic musculature becomes very evident and isolated and maybe the sound won't be working, it may be crackly or maybe break on you a lot, but if it feels free and connected it's what you need to train. In the mean time if you have to sing the same stuff live and need to sound good you'll have to forcefully push with your old habits just enough to get the right sound and just make sure youre not doing that too often which would add up and cause damage.

Over time practicing the way that feels correct it will strengthen the coordination to eventually sound better and with performing the incorrect way to get the right sound, if you work on making it less and less effortful it will start to feel better and eventually the way you perform and practice will match up and both sound and feel great 

Thanks a lot Owen, helpful as always and spot on. I had a feeling it wouldnt be correct but also sometimes "pain" is on the gain, not this time. Yes i feel this strain near my limits, if i concentrate i can produce light/weak clear sounds within the range without the strain but it is not that useable, especially in a live situation. If patience is the key, so be it... thanks