Feedback please - Kentucky Rain by Elvis

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Guys, hope I've followed all the rules so far, otherwise let me know. 

I have been playing guitar for about 20 years but singing for about 4 or 5. I would really like to get your honest feedback on my voice. I feel this represents the best of my abilities at this point. I am just in the process of looking for a new coach, as I moved towns a year ago so lost my great coach who brought me this far. Meanwhile I just discovered some online resources for warmup exercises and techniques and have re-commited to daily practice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum.

Sounds pretty good :). There is lots of potential there. No real problems with pitch. The only thing I noticed would have to do with support. Getting the sound to be a little more solid. The only reason that I am bringing this up is because you sound pretty good now but with a little effort you could sound awesome. Sometimes there is only a fine line between the two.

For Kentucky Rain GO AHEAD and try to Match Elvis's sound a little....The reason I say that is that you have a similar voice to his anyway and that lower larynx/dampened larynx sound that gives Elvis power helps to bring about the support. Just don't over do the mimicking, that can start to sound pretentious.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Good stuff, Mark. "Kentucky Rain" is one of my favorite Elvis songs precisely because it has some low end.

You sang better on "Homeward Bound" because of your "placement," where you were feeling the notes. If you did that with "Kentucky Rain" it would sound much more solid, even the low parts.

You do both songs well.

Thanks to you both for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Youre right I do have a tendency to try to sound like the singer I'm covering. My teacher used to try to break that habit all the time.

Do you think you could tell me  how to work on support? And by placement do you mean phrasing or where I sing from? If the latter, how do I work on that?

Thanks again.

Thanks to you both for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Youre right I do have a tendency to try to sound like the singer I'm covering. My teacher used to try to break that habit all the time.

Do you think you could tell me  how to work on support? And by placement do you mean phrasing or where I sing from? If the latter, how do I work on that?

Thanks again.

​    I am no teacher, Just another singer......Some of the components for support is to breath deep into your belly(figure of speech) The idea is to expand the lower ribs. When someone surprises you and you take a quick breath because of being startled, that is the type of breath. Another part is to keep the lower ribs expanded.

Along with those is to have the kind of energy of scolding a child and not wanting to be loud enough to scare the child.....So you are being forceful but holding the air back at the same time.

Placement is kind of like where you sing from.

Sounding like the singer is not a bad thing. Either sounding like the singer or trying not to sound like the singer can both be bad.  When you sing with good placement and you SING LIKE the original singer you may not SOUND LIKE the original singer. Trying to SOUND like the original singer may move you OUT of good placement.

Confused yet? :)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."