Rate this topic

Simpan24

Two things to remember. .......... Your practicing and singing exercises makes you sound better and this fear thing makes you sound worse and hurts your voice. No matter how good you sound or how good your technique someone will not like it. So you might as well not worry about that. Celine Dion has great technique and most people like the sound of her voice but to me it is like fingers on a chalk board.  I don't think she cares whether I like it or not. Good for her.

Sing because you want to sing. Improve because you want to improve. Others will benifit from it.

18 hours ago, MDEW said:

Sing because you want to sing. Improve because you want to improve. Others will benifit from it.

Thank you so much for replying! Of course you are right. Rationally I realise that. The question is, how do you go from knowing it to actually feeling it. But I guess if all else fails, time should help, like with everything... 

Btw I dislike Celine Dion's voice too - as you say, no accounting for taste!

3 hours ago, Rosa said:

Ok, I do like Celine Dion very much. :D:)

One of the reasons I use Celine as an example is because she is so good. I have a lot of respect for her.

The first thing that a singer needs to learn is there will be people who do not like the sound of your voice no matter how good you are.

But on the other hand you will also have people who like the sound of your voice no matter how bad you are at singing. So sing. Be joyful about it. Yes, Train, Practice and get better.

When you have a choice of what to sing for others choose something that you are comfortable with and you have confidence in your abilities. Save the Hard stuff for your practice and training. Once you have confidence in those songs....... Then sing them for others.

I know people who seem to have been great singers since the begging of time. They don't train, warm up, practice technique, yet they are flawless. Others, have to practice, learn, practice some more, plus some more practicing to get their voice working.  Both end up with a good voice but the one with the practice does better in the long run.  You can build confidence with practice because practice and training will put you in charge of your voice, instead of your voice being in charge of you. You wont be worried saying "whats my voice going to do" . With practice you leash the beast 

10 hours ago, Rosa said:

Ok, I do like Celine Dion very much. :D:)

I like Celine, as well. I am probably the only person who liked her cover of "Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC and I am a big AC/DC fan.

Then, again, I was born in California and people tell me, "that's explains a lot, really."

I do realise she's really good, and indeed I would count myself lucky if I could do 1/10th of what she does... yet for some reason I don't enjoy listening to her. Might be due to the fact that I'm French and I've heard a loooot of her songs when growing up. So there might be an element of "Ugh, I've heard too much of this voice."

Anyway that goes to prove Mdew's point that no matter how good or bad you are, people's taste will often defy any sort of technical appreciation :P 

@Jarom

You are absolutely right of course. All very good points. After reading them and before replying I went ahead and practiced my exercises and even a couple songs very seriously, sent a couple mental "f... u" to the neighbours (who might or might not have been there, and probably don't deserve any sort of ill will, but there we go) and am now feeling ready to conquer my nerves, if not the world. So thank you and @MDEW for that. I will come back to this thread and re-read your replies every time panic kicks in!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lien said:

Finally my nephew recorded his voice.  This is an original song.  No bells and whistles here, just straight singing and recording through video.  Completely self talk.  Voice is there naturally.  Listen at the size of his notes, composure while singing, words are easy to understand, great natural distortion, etc  Remember, this is live with no corrections or mixing..  Hope yall enjoy.

Awesome song Lien. I liked it so much I had to make a comment on his youtube upload. I have cousins myself who are self taught and sound this good. They could not tell me what they were doing to sound so good. The best they could tell me is do not hold back and sing like you mean it.

After being on this forum for a year or two and receiving Roberts program I can now start to sound this way. But only upto G4 After that I lose it.

Yes some are born with greater musical ability and creativity. I've cousins who sing way way better than me without any training, Their vocal range spans from C4 to G4 but they've mastered this part. What attracts the audience or the listener is not high vocal range and crazy skills but a voice that evokes emotions and stays perfectly on key.

• Administrator

Intuition, talent and gift for singing is definitely something that has to be accounted for, there is no way around it... HOWEVER,... the difference between the above average gifted & talented VS. the average guy that has great techniques, a great coach and trains hard is not a big as what the general public tend to assume. The average gifted person can sing as well as the more gifted person, with lots of training and commitment... generally speaking. 

26 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Intuition, talent and gift for singing is definitely something that has to be accounted for, there is no way around it... HOWEVER,... the difference between the above average gifted & talented VS. the average guy that has great techniques, a great coach and trains hard is not a big as what the general public tend to assume. The average gifted person can sing as well as the more gifted person, with lots of training and commitment... generally speaking.

For the average singer, breaking away from their own preconceived ideas is one of the major obstacles. In my own journey, I thought I had to sound like me and when I sing it will just come out either sounding good or bad. I thought that the Distortion/passion ...... whatever, would just come out on its own.  It is true that when it is time to sing, you just sing but the training is giving you options on how you are going to sing and sculpting the sound that you want. I did not realise that ADDING the distortion was a choice, Adding more force to the voice or changing the timbre was a choice. You do not have sing and let whatever is going to come out come out You guide it, create it and nurture it.

Once you train, strengthen cords, muscles and coordinations you gain the confidence needed to just "SING" and have those things come out like passion, distortion, dynamics. Training gives you the tools, Putting thought in HOW you are going to use the tools, where to apply distortion, when to step on the gas and when to pull back is usually better than intuition.

On 12/16/2015 at 8:30 PM, MDEW said:

The first thing that a singer needs to learn is there will be people who do not like the sound of your voice no matter how good you are. But on the other hand you will also have people who like the sound of your voice no matter how bad you are at singing. So sing. Be joyful about it. Yes, Train, Practice and get better.

MDEW, these are among the wisest words I have heard in this forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...