"My Baby Just Cares For Me" Nina Simone Cover

Rate this topic

Just me and the boys at The Bedroom Studio. And by THE Bedroom Studio, I mean OUR bedroom studio. 

This is based on the Nina Simone arrangement. We are an improvisational group that mostly focus on our live performances, but we want to start recording more (hopefully in a professional studio), so we want to get more comfortable in a studio setting, while the mistakes are still free lol

enjoy!

Sounds great BlackieJane,   I'm not sure why you haven't gotten anymore comments yet. Sometimes otherwise great songs and performances get overlooked just because people may be unfamilier with the song.

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you post some more songs. :bouncy:    (Love these new emoticons)

Thanks MDEW!  I sing mostly old jazz and pre "rock n roll" blues from like the 1920s-1950s, so I'm used to our music being overlooked at times lol.  But people usually like it once they give it a chance. Thanks for listening though!  I've been around the community for a while and I've posted other songs in the past (hadn't recorded anything new for a few months though), and you've always been kind enough to listen and comment :)

Glad you came back around and with something Nina Simone inspired too! I missed hearing your performances.

I like you as a singer, you are quite dynamic with phrasing and made this your own, but I especially love the texture of your voice. The sultry tone, with splashes of a grit. There's a lot of fluidity the placement of the voice dynamically with splashes of extra body with less of the husky tone. I can't help but think when I hear voices like yours, I think of colors in painting. Some voices are clear and solid like a bell, and others have more 'texture.' I might compare it to the shading in a cartoon being flat, while a painting might feature extra texture, detail and nuance.

I can tell you love singing live and it sounds very in the moment to me. The only thing technical I've got is I like the little yodels, but if they aren't intentional you might work on smoothing the bridge a bit more. I think it's mostly the breathy timbre, I love the sound but it sounds slightly scratchy to me and like it would flip easier than a less breathy tone. At the same time, those are some of the qualities that give you extra character, so I really wouldn't advise losing them.

Keep recording, as it lets you listen back and evaluate things. It's interesting people can learn to sing in such a palatable way without ever having heard themselves on a recording, but I guess it just falls in place for some more than others naturally. I can't imagine a singing world before the advent of recording. Regardless, even people who never needed to hear themselves recorded to sing palatable for others have the tools now so take advantage of it, if nothing else, these are things that could be here after we are gone.

Thanks KillerKu!  You always give such thoughtful critiques and I very much appreciate it. 

I'm always really glad when someone says "you made it your own". That's like the best compliment.  I consider myself to be an improvisational singer...I never know what my exact path in a song is before I start, so I'm always trying to play with the phrasing, time, tones etc.  So I always try to sing in the moment, and it's never the same twice...just like Billie and Louis and Sarah and Nina. That's my favourite part. I've also been doing a lot of scatting too, which has helped a lot in finding my own voice. 

Which brings me to the yodel. Totally not intentional lol. I need to figure out how to make the transition there smoother bc i hit it most of the time, but I'd like it if I could get it smooth every time.  I just have to figure out how. 

Anyhow, thanks for listening and your comments. I hope you have been well.