Felipe Carvalho - Aces High

Rate this topic

I'm officially using my first post here at TMVW to congratulate you on this magnificent performance! :-) I absolutely loved listening to that!

I'm interested to know how much work it has taken to reach this level and if you had anywhere near this amount of ability back when you first started.

I'm officially using my first post here at TMVW to congratulate you on this magnificent performance! :-) I absolutely loved listening to that!

I'm interested to know how much work it has taken to reach this level and if you had anywhere near this amount of ability back when you first started.

​yea i always want to know that kind of stuff, its a huge inspiration to me when someone says that they couldnt sing for "s##t" and they managed to get to that level.

Awesome cover Felipe :)

• Administrator

Way super cool Felipe... how you do this all sitting down, is a bit of a mystery to me... but it sounds good! You don't seem to belt to hard to make it work for you... it actually is in a lighter mass it seems. Regardless, cool... not easy!

:headbang:

I liked it though i prefer a little more rasp in this kind of genre. I am also a little puzzled over the fact that you sit down singing this: How is that even possible? :) Excellent!

@ronws and rotlung thanks guys :D

@Adolph haaha super cool! :bang:

@Anthony and Elvis :) thank you so much. It took a real lot of work, and really, I sucked big time ahahah, I think Ive linked a recording somewhere around here of me murdering some songs, I will try to find it. No way I could sing anything from Iron back then, in fact this one would be on the "impossible" list until more recently.

@Owen, Pekka and aravin :) Thank you so much for the words guys!

@Rob, Olem and Jugulator ahaha thank you guys, truth is it would be smarter to do it standing up, but my current settings are not very practical in that sense when I am making videos (nowhere to place the camera, etc), I will probably reorganize the studio to allow me to record while standing up in a easier manner. I got used to support while sitting down though, its not that different anymore.

@felipxp Thank you!!

@benny82 I will show it for sure, needs some more polishing! And thanks bro :)

@akarawd ;) thank you my friend!

@everyone thanks so much for listening and for the words. Really appreciate it!

• Administrator

BTW... I love the lyrics to this song... as an amateur historian on military aviation, its so cool the way Dickinson names the "Messerschmitt me-109" and the "Spitfire"... the song is actually a history lesson of The Battle of Britain. 

These guys had balls... let me tell you all... we sit here in our homes and studios and bicker about vocal techniques and what ever... but let me show you what real heroes had to do ... from both sides.... this is what Bruce and Felipe are singing about... 

BTW... I love the lyrics to this song... as an amateur historian on military aviation, its so cool the way Dickinson names the "Messerschmitt me-109" and the "Spitfire"... the song is actually a history lesson of The Battle of Britain. 

Thanks for pointing that out, that's awesome to know. Extraordinary songwriting in this tune, both the lyrics and the music, and especially how they fit together.

• Administrator

Dickinson does a lot of that. He pulls a lot of lyrics from movies or history. The guy isn't a stupid heavy metal singer... he is actually quite an intellectual. He is a licensed airline pilot for Quantus Airlines, a competition fencer, and historian. 

Here is another one, "Alexander The Great", tells the story of Alexander The Great... these lyrics are real people, real events, real history.

This is an Epic tune... it comes from the lesser known album, "Somewhere In Time"... it doesn't get as much press as the other albums, but I think it is one of their best albums because it experimented with a softer mix, less guitar and more textures. Fist and only album they did with keyboards. Killer vocals!!!

World Class Belting!... Dampened Larynx + Strong Adductors & Amplified Narrowed Vowels

Lyrics:

"My son ask for thyself another
Kingdom, for that which I leave
is too small for thee"
(King Philip of Macedonia - 339 B.C.)

Near to the east
In a part of ancient Greece
In an ancient land called Macedonia
Was born a son
To Philip of Macedon
The legend his name was Alexander

At the age of nineteen
He became the Macedon King
And he swore to free all of Asia Minor
By the Aegean Sea
In 334 B.C.
He utterly beat the armies of Persia

[Chorus:]
Alexander the Great
His name struck fear into hearts of men
Alexander the Great
Became a legend 'mongst mortal men

King Darius the third
Defeated fled Persia
The Scythians fell by the river Jaxartes
Then Egypt fell to the Macedon King as well
And he founded the city called Alexandria

By the Tigris river
He met King Darius again
And crushed him again in the battle of Arbela
Entering Babylon
And Susa, treasures he found
Took Persepolis the capital of Persia

[Chorus:]
Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great
Became a God amongst mortal men

A Phrygian King had bound a chariot yoke
And Alexander cut the 'Gordian knot'
And legend said that who untied the knot
He would become the master of Asia

Hellenism he spread far and wide
The Macedonian learned mind
Their culture was a western way of life
He paved the way for Christianity

Marching on, marching on
The battle weary marching side by side
Alexander's army line by line
They wouldn't follow him to India
Tired of the combat, pain and the glory

Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great
He died of fever in Babylon 

Awesome job Felipe.  You really have developed some great control especially in the upper register.  That's not an easy song to sing.  I've got a question: How much more energy are you using when singing those higher notes?  From the video, it doesn't seem like you are exerting that much more.  

@Bono hehe thanks man, :)

@geno thank you! Its complicated to answer that, its a lot of energy and pressure, but not on the throat/neck, its more a matter of appoggio (the higher verses in special).

@Nash :) ahh but it IS possible! Thank you for your words!!