Warming Up in Front of People That Don't Understand it?

Rate this topic

Jarom

• Administrator

contemporary vocal coaches like Rob Lunte who teach full time and have to be able to demonstrate vocal technique all day, you really think THEY don't warm up

Thanks for pointing this out Owen, for sure... When I am making video content, for YouTube or for the product... you better believe it I am warming up. I have to. I am not about to produce demonstration content that isn't from a voice that is thourouly warmed up. And when I sing, make recordings, I also warm up. Typically, I will do some resonant tracking, some glottal attacks, call register techniques ( A&R, D&R) and then work on "pulling" the articulators into narrowed positions to prepare for narrowed vowels... all the "resistance" training stuff or more belt-like preparation. In about 20 minutes, Im good to go.

Not only does it HAVE to be done, but I consider it my duty as a professional to warm up. It is part of the job! To not warm up before I demonstrate or sing, would be to not take my profession seriously and to be half-assed and that is just not how I roll. Customers, teachers, students and even myself... we all deserve better.

In that sense... if you are too lazy to warm up before you are going to provide a service for people, then one has to question? It would be like being a pilot and not doing your manual walk around, check of the plane before you take-off. It is just what professionals should do, regardless of the level of fame and notoriety. 

• Administrator

Rob,

All I did this for was to show that it happens to the best of them. That even professional musicians can act like morons at times.

​I see Bob... I wouldn't call people morons, but I would at least say that it is not responsible to themselves and their customers. 

This is the point where I'd want to do it in a more annoying way to bother them more. I don't have to warm up like an opera singer, and once they've heard a large range of ridiculous noises at sometimes extremely loud volumes, they will beg me to go back to some of my regular warm ups can be done more politely like humming to find resonance. :4:

This is the point where I'd want to do it in a more annoying way to bother them more. I don't have to warm up like an opera singer, and once they've heard a large range of ridiculous noises at sometimes extremely loud volumes, they will beg me to go back to some of my regular warm ups can be done more politely like humming to find resonance. :4:

​that's true confidence there and humor to boot!

A while back there were a few "Reality" shows. One of course was the Osbourne's . Pretty much each episode there was a clip where Ozzy was in a room doing his warm ups. 

Another had Sebastian Bach along with Ted Nugent and was called something like Super group.  You could hear Sebastian in a room off to the side singing his warm up routine,

If you watch Live concert videos where they show the band walking to the stage you will hear the singers singing "Mum,Mum,Mum...........Me, Me, Me". Don't let anyone give you that Crap that "Real" "Rock" or "Metal" singers do not warm up.......That is BS plain and simple.......

​It was called Supergroup and I watched the entire run of the show and yes, Baz would do his warm-ups and no one, all these other professional musicians, made fun of him. So, Jarom, if your friends want to consider themselves professional, then they need to show a bit of courtesy and let you warm up.

• 3 weeks later...

before you exercise you have to warm up your muscles by stretching and so forth, in order to avoid causing muscle strain, pulled muscles, stitches, muscle cramps etc...

why then should it be any different to warm up your vocal cords before singing? Warming up prevents vocal injury, straining your voice or ending up with nodules and unable to sing again.

Do what is best for you not what people think. At the end of the day it's your body, your choice, your health not theirs :)

• Administrator

just warmup and tell them to go to hell! 

after all you're a singer u can do whatever u want to do! ;-)

Precisely... tell them to go **** themselves... seriously... this is ridiculous. If you can't warm up your voice because your afraid of feeling embarrassed or are intimidated by others that don't understand or appreciate what your doing, then forget it... singing isn't for you.

just warmup and tell them to go to hell! 

after all you're a singer u can do whatever u want to do! ;-)

Precisely... tell them to go **** themselves... seriously... this is ridiculous. If you can't warm up your voice because your afraid of feeling embarrassed or are intimidated by others that don't understand or appreciate what your doing, then forget it... singing isn't for you.

The clouds part, the sun shines, and Mark Wahlberg sings "hallelujah ..."

Let it out.

This isn't just a singing  problem.  As a woodwind player I notice the same thing.  Non musicians rarely understand,  and piano,  guitar, and drums don't understand  because  they oftwn don't understand how hard it is to get a nice tone and the flexibility  through  the full range that only comes with warming up. 

Ya,  not much to do but tell them,  unless they start paying you they can take all complaints and shove them up their own.