June 2015 Monthly Country Challenge: You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive

Rate this topic

I look forward to giving this a go!

Although I'm not quite sure how the lyrics will sound sung by a Brit!

​Mick Jagger sang a lot of stuff in a country style.

Sir Elton John sounds quite proper when he speaks. And like a redneck from the hills when he sings.

So, maybe you will sound like something in between or neither.

Here's my submission!

This was loads of fun!!  I thought I'd been pretty faithful to the original with my Autumn Leaves attempt so this one is WAY out there!! :lol:

I'm not sure what the rules are on over dubbed vocal harmonies. There are a few in this song, but the main vocal track is all one live take.

What can I say? :P

I suppose I gave a certain first impression with my "Review my Singing" post because I was asking about something I'm not confident with. I see that I could have come across as meek. But now you know the REAL me!!! *Evil Laugh*  :lol:

Elvis, I will get around to uploading the backing track! Promise!

Here's my submission!

This was loads of fun!!  I thought I'd been pretty faithful to the original with my Autumn Leaves attempt so this one is WAY out there!! :lol:

I'm not sure what the rules are on over dubbed vocal harmonies. There are a few in this song, but the main vocal track is all one live take.

​Wow! Completely unexpected. In Brad's voice: "Anthony's got skills, y'all!".

Here's my submission!

Wow! Completely unexpected. In Brad's voice: "Anthony's got skills, y'all!".

A singer in sheepish clothing. and bravo to him for showing off some shredding skills, too.

Thanks everyone! :blush:

I'm eager to hear other takes on this.

I'd never really heard a country song all the way through before this one, let alone attempt to learn one. It's not a genre that does much for me usually but the more I worked on this song the more I got into it. But then I suppose that's what this competition is all about!

I haven't had a chance to work on this one. These challenges are a great Idea it is a shame that we are not getting more participants. I don't know if everyone is waiting for their Genre to show up or not but the idea is to do something that you are unfamiliar with, whether it sounds good or not.

Even if it does not sound good it will help you to grow as a singer and performer. Professionals often have to do things that they do not like. It is part of the job.

I wanted to join the challenges but I just couldn't get a feel for the songs. I like Brad Paisley and that is a great song but I got so hung up on Rowdy Friends, it was blocking out everything else.

And I guess, we always have the choice join a challenge, or not. But I can certainly enjoy and applaud others' submissions.

I wanted to join the challenges but I just couldn't get a feel for the songs. I like Brad Paisley and that is a great song but I got so hung up on Rowdy Friends, it was blocking out everything else.

And I guess, we always have the choice join a challenge, or not. But I can certainly enjoy and applaud others' submissions.

I know how you feel I almost missed the Jazz challenge because Mack the Knife got stuck in my head. I had to kill that worm before I could concentrate on Autumn Leaves.

I haven't had a chance to work on this one. These challenges are a great Idea it is a shame that we are not getting more participants. I don't know if everyone is waiting for their Genre to show up or not but the idea is to do something that you are unfamiliar with, whether it sounds good or not.

Even if it does not sound good it will help you to grow as a singer and performer. Professionals often have to do things that they do not like. It is part of the job.

Yeah, it's all about trying. The point is to be out of your element, in some shape or form, often. Speaking of that, where's everyone at with this? Who's working on it?

• Administrator

Well, my time is going into just keeping the operations running around here...

You know, maybe the ability to make a recording is a deterrent. It is a rather big obstacle; gear, know how, expense, etc... 

Geoff, it may be a good idea to look for some kind of web based system where people can just kind of sing into their computers and get a recording out of it. I know there is something like this that exists... some kind of karaoke community that has a user interface that people just sing into their computers... you can probably shoot out a file with it. 

I know Ive seen something like this...