Amazing Counter Tenor Philippe Jaroussky

Rate this topic

Elvis

• Administrator

Take a listen to this Magnificent bastard!

Beautiful tone and control! Tons of messa di voce throughout the song.

​Wow cool... thanks for posting this Elvis.

Indeed, counter tenors are fascinating to me because they are "head voice" singers, but they take a very different approach to it then contemporary singers do. I find that difference interesting.

... very feminine sounding... beautiful singing, but very feminine sounding for a man... and that is fine, its just an art form, but I wonder if the objective IS to sound like a woman when your a counter-tenor?  I don't think so... I have heard counter-tenors that sound falsetto, but the don't necessarily sound like women... 

Darius probably has some good insights on this... 

philipp jaroussky is well known countertenor in france.. By the way , he is a falsettist. his normal range is baritone like 99,99% of actual countertenor. tenor doing coutertenor exist but their sound is less valuable. this is because reinforced falsetto have great affinity with the overall singing musculature of the singer (stronger for the baritone).  So he uses a reinforced falsetto with open pharynx technique. At first the reinforced falsetto sound harsh and unmusical but with regular training , it tends to mellow. The need is to sound like a castrato as they try to bring this lost voice (and the repertoire) alive.  

Andreas scholl is condisered to have a better tone that jaroussky , take a look

It exists also natural countertenor with the following sub-category

French haute-contre : lowest natural countertenor. Basically a very high tenor.

Natural mezzo-soprano : radu marian (have a long laryngitis during puberty stopping the growth of the larynx) (search for Lascia Ch'io Pianga , his top note have much more bite than jaroussky or scholl)

Natural soprano (100 % have hormonal disease or larynx disorder) : michael maniaci 

Source : me having a discussion with some countertenor and opera teacher. 

• 2 weeks later...

philipp jaroussky is well known countertenor in france.. By the way , he is a falsettist. his normal range is baritone like 99,99% of actual countertenor. tenor doing coutertenor exist but their sound is less valuable. this is because reinforced falsetto have great affinity with the overall singing musculature of the singer (stronger for the baritone).  So he uses a reinforced falsetto with open pharynx technique. At first the reinforced falsetto sound harsh and unmusical but with regular training , it tends to mellow. The need is to sound like a castrato as they try to bring this lost voice (and the repertoire) alive.

So,  what exactly is the difference  between  reinforced  falsetto  and the vocal cord closure found in non countertenor males in the fifth octave?