Donny Hathaway - A song for you (cover)

Rate this topic

I never heard this version of this song before, it's a great arrangement. 3:14, "You taught me precious secrets" sounds so full of emotion and great on that phrase - and the G4 on "love" at 3:43 was also awesome. I like that you really took your time with this and made every line mean something as I was listening. You really communicated this song well! Great job.

Hey Bono, as always you sound very good and I think I can hear your higher range is getting better!

What I really don't like is how you modify the vowels on "love" and "sung". I know a lot of SLS teachers teach that but I think it sounds weird... Go more towards an "uh" vowel not a round "o". Listen to your favorite singers: are they modifying to a round/closed "o" vowel? I think not.

I never heard this version of this song before, it's a great arrangement. 3:14, "You taught me precious secrets" sounds so full of emotion and great on that phrase - and the G4 on "love" at 3:43 was also awesome. I like that you really took your time with this and made every line mean something as I was listening. You really communicated this song well! Great job.

​Java, thank you very much for your comments :). I´m glad to hear that it sounds emotional for you because I feared having neglected that aspect while I've been focusing on technical issues. Anyway, I think I'm still a long way to convey the way I wanted to do it in this song

Hey Bono, as always you sound very good and I think I can hear your higher range is getting better!

What I really don't like is how you modify the vowels on "love" and "sung". I know a lot of SLS teachers teach that but I think it sounds weird... Go more towards an "uh" vowel not a round "o". Listen to your favorite singers: are they modifying to a round/closed "o" vowel? I think not.

​Thank you Sexy for your always good feedback!! to be really honest what you think is bad vowel modification actually is bad english!! I have very little idea about this concept, just what I've heard about it in this forum and I do not quite understand yet. I would love to deepen my knowledge on this subject, any suggestions? Maybe I should start taking english lessons to improve pronunciation.

For an upcoming version of this song, I will keep in mind the words that you pointed me to sound strange. Any others??

Bono, very strong performance. Beautiful. I liked it.

​Thank you so much Pekka!! :) 

Maybe I should start taking english lessons to improve pronunciation.

You don't need to do that. Just imitate your favourite singers :)

I have very little idea about this concept, just what I've heard about it in this forum and I do not quite understand yet. I would love to deepen my knowledge on this subject, any suggestions?

Your SLS teacher doesn't teach you that? I do it intuitively so I don't understand all the science behind it but basically the vowel is your resonance and you need to tune it to the pitch and the intensity you are singing. For instance a closed "oo" vowel and an "ee" vowel need to be opened a little for the mid/higher range unless you wanna sing softly. If you don't do that you will end up squeezing. "ah" needs to be closed down a little more like an "uh" if you want to stay in a "mix type sound" as opposed to a belt... Listen to your favorite singers you'll hear them doing it!

Really nice take! 

Did you practice SLS? you really sound like they recommend.

Thank you Joshua!!! Yes, I took some classes, and vocalize with scales and excercises they gave me and other similiar programs. Occasionally, when my budget allows me, I take some skype lessons with a vocal coach to see how it goes

This was great. You managed to keep your smooth crying timbre, without squishing it on the high notes, which I believe is good progress. I wouldn't be able to sing this song as smoothly, imo and would need more twang, brightness, and harshness in some of the upper regions. You've really expanded your core timbre since coming here.

Overall, it's just a great performance. I kind of like the occasionally odd vowel due to your native language. I'd personally get frustrated if everyone sounded the same on every vowel. I hope you keep a bit of it, for flavor as a singer. Maybe split the difference. It's part of what makes you refreshing to hear. You sound great, but not like a nameless, faceless American Idol contestant and little quirks are part of it.

This was great. You managed to keep your smooth crying timbre, without squishing it on the high notes, which I believe is good progress. I wouldn't be able to sing this song as smoothly, imo and would need more twang, brightness, and harshness in some of the upper regions. You've really expanded your core timbre since coming here.

Overall, it's just a great performance. I kind of like the occasionally odd vowel due to your native language. I'd personally get frustrated if everyone sounded the same on every vowel. I hope you keep a bit of it, for flavor as a singer. Maybe split the difference. It's part of what makes you refreshing to hear. You sound great, but not like a nameless, faceless American Idol contestant and little quirks are part of it.

Thank you very much , John !! :) I appreciate very much your words. I recently discovered Donny Hathaway and I think I 'm going to spend a while studying him