Judas Priests "Devil's Child" by Snax

Rate this topic

Well, I tried a Priest song that I NEVER thought I'd ever pull off before my tonsillectomy. Having those huge suckers removed was the BEST thing I've ever done for my singing! This another really tough one vocally and I'm the first to admit that there's a ton of takes all pasted together to make the final track. I actually managed to feel pretty happy with the way it turned out and I'm a stubborn perfectionist when it comes to my own singing.

Enough preamble.Here's the song... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/wrla04.mp3

Alright, tell the truth. Is this Rob? Did you snag som pick of a fishing lure maker in BritCan to use as an avatar?

Don't make me pull a Mark Wahlberg on you and ask a question Rob could answer personally. Such as where were you living when Glen came around and started talking about you rejoining JP? (One of the few trivia I do know about Halford.)

Astounding grit you have. It's the same grit Halford is using these days, as well, such as on "Painkiller."

You should consider jonpall's words from the other thread and keep these lyrics in mind. "Out there is a fortune waiting to be had. If you think I'll let it go, your mad. You've got another thing coming ..."

A part of me will always want to be a rock star but to be honest I much prefer being my own boss and keeping my own schedule. Fame and fortune comes at a price I'm not willing to pay. Hearing all the great comments here is praise enough to keep me forging ahead on my own personal quest for heavy metal vocal perfection! ;) I'm sure Jens or Martin would kick ass on these songs too! (Hint,hint guys!)

I understand, Mike. As much fun as it could be to be singing in front of 50,000 screaming fans, I like going home every night. So, the best I will ever be able to do is the occasional gig at a club or party, which I have done, usually for no pay. But it doesn't stop me, either, from achieving whatever I can achieve. It's how I was raised. Do the best you can in whatever you do. All I need now is to find the market of people wanting to hear Luka Bloom singing hard rock. :cool:

I have to explain that last one. We gave my father-in-law a recording that included Luka Bloom, an irish tenor who normally does contemporary, doing a modern version of "Ciara" (pronounced keer-a). He thought it was me on the tape we had made for him. Evidently, my tone on "Dust in the Wind" sounded similar in his ears to "Ciara" by Luka Bloom. Anyway, enough rambling.

Edited to add:

minor thread hijack: Here's Bloom performing "Ciara." My father-in-law may have a point.

You did the whole song in full voice + grit... your performance is top notch.

You look up to the Metal God, I look up to him and you - and that goes for many others in here Mike.

I was listening to that clip of you singing in your head voice with no background music and that is freakin' stellar.

Keep them coming - P L E A S E

Thanos

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Snax,

I Love your take on this song. In other thread you mentioned your different approach to adding grit when you sing halford oposing to ACDC. Would you please explain the difference? The halford grit is what interests me especially:)

Hey Snax,

I Love your take on this song. In other thread you mentioned your different approach to adding grit when you sing halford oposing to ACDC. Would you please explain the difference? The halford grit is what interests me especially:)

It's sort of hard to explain the method of getting the Halford grit but it is different from the way I do Brian Johnson's voice. Brian's is more of a reinforced falsetto voice and the grit is like I'm gargling without any liquid in my mouth.

With the Halford grit it feels more forward and up in my soft palette. Both require really good breath support to maintain through a whole song.