Songs that test your breath management

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Thought it might be cool if we all put together a list of songs that can present challenges with regard to how the breath is managed.  Whether it be the insertion of a very quick catch breath(s), cutting back or adding breath compression, sustaining a break note, and other challenges as it particularly pertains to the management of the breath.

I've been learning a lot of new songs lately, putting together a duo with my friend.

This particular song I found needed to be worked out really well with regard to breath management.

It's more difficult than it appears.  I think it helps when you understand why it can be challenging, then take the steps to fix it.

Besides the obvious breath management you also need to have those vowels spot on and just the right amount of compression to get ring. The straight tone notes are smack in the break....D4 to D4# to E4

Please post your's.

This one is my favorite for breath management. It has changes in dynamics, quite a bit of legato, some longer notes (an even dynamic changes during those longer notes) to hold and especially the climax part starting at 5:40. All those belted notes above the passaggio (E4 and G4 I think), then finishing with a held D4 again.

I've always found this song to be monstrous. Until you get to the solos, it's just non-stop passagio action. If I don't remember to take quick breaths between lines, I'd quickly falter before the solos save me.

The studio version is a whole step higher (and I think it's also faster), which just makes it brutal for the vocalist...

I can relate to every one folks.......thanks for your posts.

Another one...seems easy, till you try it. Hard to find a live original.

Two versions here...the original and Raul Malo singing it. 

I've really gotten pretty good with my catch breathing this year.  

I like that i know I can insert one in, and get that little extra boost either for intensity or extra room.

I best ones are the singers who can do them so seemlessly, like some of these opera singers.

Here's another that seems simple but can be pretty tricky....at this level of fold adduction you tend to empty out fast. You can see clearly the quick breaths in between lyrics.

Tough song Bob......I used to try to sing a whole phrase without a breath....But if you listen closely..every time you hear that little "uh" between words, is him taking a little catch breath.....Once you get that down the song is a lot easier.

Hotel California is another killer.

Totally Felipe and MD.  I'm gonna learn that Holy Diver song.  Not really me, but it's a definite challenge.

Here's one I used to sing in a band I was in many moons ago. Didn't have a problem back then, but I wonder how I'd manage at 61...lol!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another that will test breath management skills.....this song has it all, smoothness, held notes, dynamics, light head voice, chesty belts, transitions, and it sits right in the break. I know one thing. If you sing those "Take these broken wings" with the throat, it's gonna be a real bitch to complete the song on pitch. 

In the first verses of this song, it's so airy that it requires a lot of compression to stay connected, and throughout the song there are difficult switches from chest voice to falsetto and vice versa. Some spots are 2:02, 2:30, and of course the run at 3:00 requires a lot of coordination.

Definitely, when you get intentionally airy as she sometimes does, you really have to control your exhalation so you suspend & don't empty out.  A singer without this knowledge will just deflate too quickly.  Singing like this has you really dealing with pressure changes. Thanks for posting. 

Si, mi Amigo. Yo tengo mucho gusto para Noche Tres Peros. Essa musica mas fina.

For about 10 years or so, we were going to oldies fests, at Texas Motor Speedway in Ennis, Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, and the arboretum in Euless and nearly every year, Three Dog Night would be there. And they would always play my favorite from them, "Road to Shambala."