I don't know how to sing. How do I learn?

Rate this topic

Mainline

I'm a 16 year old male. My dad has been playing guitar for around 30 years and my brother is in a band and plays almost every instrument. Guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and he sings. I'm really the only one who doesn't play an instrument. I am buying a guitar and I want to learn to sing too. I would like to perform with the drama club in school. I don't know how to sing though, how do I learn? I would prefer to learn online or practice by myself, for the time being at least.

Without basic knowledge on how to sing it's pretty difficult to get started. I recommend getting some vocal program like Pillars, KTVA or Raise Your Voice. They'll explain what sound you generally need to look for among other important things.

You have the perfect environment to become a great singer. You have a musical family. Ask them to help you out, your dad to play backing music for you and yorur bro to listen to you sing. This way you'll get two things done:

1) you'll practice with a live instrument and acoustics

2) you'll get over performing anxiety in the very start of your singing journey

If you wanna get started immediately, like right now, then this forum and youtube vids on vocal technique are your best bet. The most important thing to learn though, is listening to the tone of the demonstration and listening to your own. If it's differenr, you're not doing the same thing. A good example would be me in the beginning. A vid would call for a bright tone, I'd sing it back with a dark, muffled tone that I just took to be my way of singing. I just wasn't doing the technique right, but I didn't record myself singing so I didn't learn to listen to the tone.

So fast-track: get a program, start today (even if you don't get a program start today, hum along to songs or somethig, try to match the tone of the singer with no tension), ask your fam for support.

How to learn how to sing at your age: don't try and learn from the internet and youtube.  Get a vocal coach like Robert Lunte who owns this forum and is highly recommended!  Other guys on here that know their stuff: Jens, Daniel Formica, Felipe Carvalho, Martin Hanmuller, etc.  Not sure if all these guys are currently teaching lessons though so best bet is just talk to Robert he is always around.  Please don't make the mistake of trying to learn on your own like I did.  I am a fairly smart guy and was already an accomplished musician before I even started singing but even still I messed some things up for my voice/didn't practice nearly to the potential I could have if I just got a coach. :)