What is 'twanging' and how do you do it?

Rate this topic

Serotonin

In every other thread on this forum I've seen references to something called 'vocal twang' and, as I'm new, I don't have a clue what this is and googling wasn't a great help. So if I need to learn how to do it, I will first need to know what it is. So, can somebody please explain it to me and give tips on how it is achieved (when I sing I sound dull and nasal because when I talk I sound dull and nasal).

• Administrator

They are not the same thing.

Twang specifically refers to a physical vocal mode configuration characterized by, among other things... a contraction of the Aryepiglottic Sphincter, cricoid tilt, and amplification of kHz and added compression to the vocal folds. So you see, twang is actually a real thing.

"ring" and "ping" are descriptive words that are used liberally by people to typically refer to amplification of higher harmonics in any vocal sound... or resonation that includes the teeth, or masking... these are terms that are similar to "project" the voice... "project" doesn't really officially mean anything... but is used to communicate the message of "amplify" or "listen to your voice in front of you"... sort of vibe.

I can't seem to find the thread you're referring to. Can you provide a link or maybe paraphrase the contents here? Robert's post is informative on what twang is, but the technical stuff is a bit overwhelming.

• Administrator

It is a configuration... or a way that the larynx can be 'set up' that amplifies your voice, removes the wind from your sining, creates strength and stability and is critical to all singing.

I recommend that you keep searching on this forum or type in "What is vocal twang?" on google and/or purchase a book on vocal technique that covers vocal twang and start reading... you need to study. Don't expect it to be handed to you... do the reading and do the work that is required to understand.

BTW... my book covers vocal twang and all this other stuff... and is $41 at Amazon.com.

CLICK HERE >>>

OK so I've done more research and so far all I've found out is that twanging is singing without any air coming out of your nose, so it gives the voice a much clearer and less breathy tone. Still don't know how to do that though...

• Administrator

NO, that is not what twang is. That is an awful definition... its garbage. 

In order to be able to do it, you have to first know what it is PROPERLY.

As I said, do your homework and make an investment in time and a few quid... buy a book on vocal technique ( get the right one...) and learn.

You will likely not find another definition that is better then the one I gave you previously in this topic discussion... but it too, is not perfect and it doesn't teach you HOW... to know how, you have to get off the forum, and make an investment in time and a few quid to get a book and train.

This is the part of your journey where you have to make an extra effort to get what you want and need. You need to practice.

How the hell am I meant to practise something if nobody will tell me what it is, and you say that anything that the internet tells me is garbage? There is a fine line between trying to get people to learn independently and just kicking them down and being actively unhelpful when somebody asks for help. And I'm not going to buy your book if you keep flipping out and biting my head off like that.

It is not that Robert means to be biting your head off......It is that after a quick search on the internet  what you found was nothing close to the correct meaning of the term. It is also the fact that even when you know what the term means that doesn't help someone achieve it or how to use it.......People want to learn on their own and that is great, the frustrating part to Robert and other vocal coaches is that you really need to be in front of someone who knows what to tell you and how to tell you and have you do it correctly for you to truly get benefits and Robert has a product that will give you answers.....

I have been in the same situation as you and even after years of knowing about twang, what it is and how necessary it is I still did not know how to apply it.

Some examples of twang:

Axle Rose singing Sweet Child of Mine. The sound of the Aflack Duck.  It sounds nasal but it is not from using the nasal passage.

Youtube videos would describe it as witches cackle. It makes the sound brighter and helps close the vocal folds.

• Administrator

How the hell am I meant to practise something if nobody will tell me what it is

I did tell you what it is... I told you EXACTLY what it was.

and you say that anything that the internet tells me is garbage?

I said that THAT explanation you shared was garbage. Not that anything on the internet is garbage.

Here is a good definition of it.

My buddy Justin does nice videos... watch this... I found this on Google after typing in "What is Vocal Twang"? It was there with about 14 other articles and blogs that explained it. They are the same search results you would of found as well. You could of simply gone back and tried again... or.. are you saying that you were not willing to go back and try again? That is what I wanted to see you do.

trying to get people to learn independently and just kicking them down and being actively unhelpful when somebody asks for help

For starters, your not learning independently... this forum and many people here,.. mostly me, are taking a lot of time to help you to learn.

The above responses were "actively unhelpful"?  I took the time to answer your question and continue to do so right now.

Regarding my book? I already offered it to you to be nice... at a very generous discount to help you out in the PM system. And you didn't take advantage of it. That suggestion was already made two weeks ago and you didn't do anything with it. My offer still stands if you change your mind because I am will continue to be so... "actively unhelpful".

you keep flipping out and biting my head off like that.

Really now... in the above communications I am "flipping out" and "biting your head off"?...

Lets get on track here....

Do you understand that my communications are called "tough love"... do you know what that means? Perhaps you don't. Here is the definition.

Tough love is an expression used when someone treats another person sternly with the intent to help them in the long run.

And watch this video:

Now then.... Do you NOW understand better why my communications are like this with you? You and I have been down this path before... 

I have done a LOT to help you actually! Even though you are barking at me like the Karate Kid here in the video... I am the Sensei that is trying to help you by encouraging you to discover the answer ... JUST A LITTLE BIT... for yourself.

But you don't get it... I wish you the best and Your Welcome...

Good luck to you... 

• Administrator

It is not that Robert means to be biting your head off......It is that after a quick search on the internet  what you found was nothing close to the correct meaning of the term. It is also the fact that even when you know what the term means that doesn't help someone achieve it or how to use it.......People want to learn on their own and that is great, the frustrating part to Robert and other vocal coaches is that you really need to be in front of someone who knows what to tell you and how to tell you and have you do it correctly for you to truly get benefits and Robert has a product that will give you answers.....

I have been in the same situation as you and even after years of knowing about twang, what it is and how necessary it is I still did not know how to apply it.

Some examples of twang:

Axle Rose singing Sweet Child of Mine. The sound of the Aflack Duck.  It sounds nasal but it is not from using the nasal passage.

Youtube videos would describe it as witches cackle. It makes the sound brighter and helps close the vocal folds.

Thanks MDEW for chiming in and helping out here... Yes.. there are two things that are going on here in regards to our friend... 

1). I am playing the "tough love" game a little bit with him, because I want to help him... my gut just tells me, this might be the way to handle Serotonin... but its only a "gut" feeling. Not much you can do if you can't actually meet someone in person. But the bigger point is, it really is in good faith and intentions.

2). Your point... that even if you have the perfect explanation... which the combination of my explanation and Justin's... that is just about as far as you can go without reading and training to really experience it. 

Seratonin.. it is very abstract and confusing sometimes... I TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE ON THAT POINT... WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE... and because it is some what abstract and challenging to understand... the only way you can TRULY understand it and also execute it as a singer... which is what we all want to get to... is to experience it... and for you... that starts with training. Something I keep harping about over and over again with you... with everyone frankly... you can't learn to play guitar if you don't study the instrument and practice... the same goes for voice... you have to study and train/practice... there are no short cuts... 

Just know... my disposition with you (Serotonin)... is actually based on the fact that I care and want to help you... not because Im an asshole... look at the time Im putting into this?!  I"m not being paid and do you think I have other important things to tend to right now... you bet!!!!!  But I wanted to help you... now Im done... 

For the record Robert, the reason that I didn't buy your book is not because I'm lazy or don't want to practise. I can't get it because my parents still refuse to get me a singing teacher and they aren't going to pay for any other vocal program partly for financial reasons and partly because they do not think I'm serious about this or think that I won't put the effort in alongside my A levels and learning two instruments. I did not deliberately not take advantage of the opportunity because I'm on a budget of 0. I was hoping that this forum would help me bridge that impasse but much of the advice I'm being is just "buy this book/vocal program/get a teacher that you can't afford and you will understand the terminology I'm throwing at you." I wanted to be able to pick up the basics from this forum so that I could justify asking to get a teacher. 

I know I irritate you, but much of what you say is like trying to explain string theory to a four-year old.

I have all the evidence that your method works, but that isn't any good to me when I'm completely alone here and unable to look beyond the contents page.

• Administrator

Ok, I appreciate some of what your saying here... 

But the fact remains...

I did answer your question in a simple way.

I gave you a video that was also helpful.

You have never been "alone".. and I think you are getting exactly what you bargained for on this forum... If you will stop worrying about how you feel offended by my response and start focusing on the information you are getting, you will see... you are getting exactly what you were hoping to get... at least in regards to explanations on the vocal technique stuff... 

"man up"... stop fixating on whether or not Robert was terse with me or not... it isn't important!  I explained why I was "acting" that way... perhaps it was a bad call.. apparently it was and I won't tough love you anymore... 

Focus on the information, the response, the video, the advise you are getting from all these veterans ... on opening up 10 Google blogs, not one... Your focusing on the drama ... when you need to be focusing on the lesson.

Perhaps I threw a bad pitch at you... but Im not going to apologize to you because it was with good intentions... the best actually and I have given you a lot of time... 

:headbang:

Robert, that Justin video was really helpful.  As you know I'm a very satisfied Pillars customer and so the concept and execution of it is not new to me, but nonetheless it's often useful to hear the 'same thing' presented in a different way.

Serotonin, the video is the (or an) answer to your question, on a silver platter.

Tough love (with varying degrees) can generally only be applied to people you know well. I've learnt this through years of experience teaching instrumentally. And even then it's a very delicate balance. With voice being so personal, I'd imagine that balance is on the razors edge. 

To be fair though, that video was excellent. Not the type of teaching I'm attracted to but great information none the less. What it is and what it's meant to achieve.

• Administrator

Tough love (with varying degrees) can generally only be applied to people you know well. I've learnt this through years of experience teaching instrumentally. And even then it's a very delicate balance. With voice being so personal, I'd imagine that balance is on the razors edge. 

To be fair though, that video was excellent. Not the type of teaching I'm attracted to but great information none the less. What it is and what it's meant to achieve.

Point taken... Ya, Justin does good videos... a bit flamboyant... lol... but good videos... Im due for some nice ones like that too... they are coming soon... 

• Administrator

Thanks Blah...

Yes, I'm a good teacher in front of a camera. It is one of my talents and strengths... I know that. I need to get back to it and plan too VERY soon... Ive just been tied down completing that book and building out the worlds most kick ass online course work system for singers ever... Im almost done with it, then Ill rotate back to film production... it goes in cycles... book & systems,... then media.. then back to book and systems and then to media... 

I think I do give away too much information sometimes on the YouTube content... I have to be careful with that.

Do you have "4Pillars"?

I don't. I'm very content with what I already have. It's going to take years to work through all the material anyway... No slight on you or your product at all, it looks awesome, but The Daniel Formica vid on 'Trust' pretty much somes up my position on the whole thing.

Maybe when I'm more experienced (only been singing for 15 months) I'll start mixing and matching concepts... But I'm talking years down the track.