Why cant I do this exercise anymore?

Rate this topic

aaron0326

Before gigging, I like to warm up with two different types of exercises that I get from Eric Arceneaux's youtube videos and from Ron Anderson's Voixtek Lite App.  I have been using these exercises for a few years now but suddenly, I am having trouble articulating certain sounds in them.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOn-b3V6rQ

So here is a "La-ga" exercise where the jaw is open, throat relaxed, and all articulation is supposed to come from the tongue.  I cannot seem to articulate the "G" sound with the back of my throat anymore.  I find that my best vocal performances follow warmups where I get a pronounced and powerful "ga" but its like I don't even have access to that part of my tongue and throat. 

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQ8NFiZ4Uk

In this one, the point is to make a "ng" sound with the air coming through the nose.  I used to be able to do this with the sound coming from deeper in my throat but now I can't articulate the "ng" much less get the air to come through my nose.  Its like the sound cant be sustained in the front of my throat if that makes sense.  It is really airy.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!   

Sit down on a chair, let your head hang backwards and drop your jaw, as if you fell asleep while sitting, let the jaw hang open and rotate a bit backwards.

Keeping the jaw in this position, place the tip of your tongue behind the low front teeth, and breath ONLY through your nose, making sure you don´t let your mouth close, keep the jaw loose and the mouth as open as you can. Experiment until you find a way to breath through the nose and keep everything relaxed, notice what the back of the tongue does when you are producing this.

Then add sound to this nasal flow, also relaxed. Think of singing inside your nose, keep everything relaxed, the movement should be the same as it was when you where just breathing, sing on that flow of air.

After you find this very nasal position, all you have to do is close the nasal passage a bit, think of drinking through a straw or a "upper half yawn", or a goofy voice, etc. Careful to not retract the tongue when you do so. If you manage to do it, its NG, although it is likely it will feel different to the habitual way you articulate NG.

Hope it helps!

Can you post a file of how it sounds when you try it now? That's a much better resource for people to try to help you than just guessing based on how you're describing it subjectively.

As far as I can GUESS now I would reckon that, if you've been doing this warm up as a habit for a while, it's unlikely that your technique habits just suddenly changed one day, rather the condition of your voice did and caused a different result. Are you a little sick, or have you been singing too much recently and not giving the voice enough time to heal? Any changes in your diet? Did you warm up at a completely different time of day?

If you try just resting your voice from any intense singing/speaking for a day, does the issue go away?

• Administrator

These exercises your referring to are not complicated. I find your story to be usual. Something that familiar to you and basic should not suddenly stop responding. 

My first response would be to question if you are Ill or not? 

We need to hear some samples.

Thanks for the response guys! I will post a file shortly.

@Ronws -  I have tried but I cannot get this kind of help without purchasing very expensive lessons.

@Felipe - That actually helped a bit thanks!        

@Owen - I am doing 3-4 hour shows up to 6 times a week and have been doing so for a long time so my pipes have absolutely taken a beating.  I actually feel as if a part of my voice is missing from the very bottom but it pops out occasionally.  I think over time I think too much into these exercises because I am always trying to perfect them and end up hurting myself more than helping.  I do think a big problem is my breath support has for some reason diminished.  Rest does help but I rarely get an opportunity for rest.  I have had a chronic blockage in my nasal cavity it seems.  Diet is pretty usual.

@Robert - my thoughts exactly.  I have had this constant feeling like I need to release mucous from my throat but I don't believe I have an infection. 

• Administrator

Aaron, I deleted the link to the file... we need you to embed a link that streams you file... that header of the forum states...

When submitting your file, please do NOT submit a downloadable file. Instead, embed a linked streaming solution. We recommend Soundcloud.com or Box.net (without downloads enabled). Thank You.

• Administrator

Sorry Robert.  I made a youtube vid if that works.  I have never used sound cloud or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9I7xni17KQ

Thanks Aaron... YouTube works great as well... but you have your video set to "Private" so we can't see it. Change the setting to "Public"... and we should be good to go! 

Click HERE >>> to watch a tutorial on how to embed a youtube video.