TWANG FEELING pls help!!!

Rate this topic

florancecipher

Hi everyone!

I think my own voice sounds dull and i followed the CVI book and tried to add some necessary twang

i look up many stuff about twang but none addressed exactly how it would feel like

i tried the duck sound or other sounds and it feels like theres some movement in my larynx area,

feels like it moves to a more forward place but sometimes its just like something is there

is this the correct feeling of having twang???

also, is adding twang to speaking voice better for overall health? thanks!!!

Hi everyone!

I think my own voice sounds dull and i followed the CVI book and tried to add some necessary twang

i look up many stuff about twang but none addressed exactly how it would feel like

i tried the duck sound or other sounds and it feels like theres some movement in my larynx area,

feels like it moves to a more forward place but sometimes its just like something is there

is this the correct feeling of having twang???

also, is adding twang to speaking voice better for overall health? thanks!!!

what kind of movement in the larynx area?

Well, i feel narrowing in my pharynx (throat~) and raised larynx...im not much of a twanger,i preffer open throat pulling chest so im not really in a position to speak about twang, but there are tons of youtube videos that demonstrate it quite decently. Check Robert Lunte's Videos on youtube and some thing should be clearer

This has been everywhere on the internet about twang......Remember the commercial with Aflac Duck........AAAAAAAAAflac ......That compressed sound in the AAA is twang......It helps keep the folds together and gives a brighter sound..... It sounds Nasal but it is not........Yes, you can feel something change in the larynx........what is moving is a little above the larynx but it is attached to  other muscles in the larynx and helps them do what they need to do..........

• Administrator

Well, i feel narrowing in my pharynx (throat~) and raised larynx...im not much of a twanger,i preffer open throat pulling chest so im not really in a position to speak about twang, but there are tons of youtube videos that demonstrate it quite decently. Check Robert Lunte's Videos on youtube and some thing should be clearer

Elvis, your confused if you think that the "open throat, pulling chest" approach ... and I know where thats coming from... doesn't include twang. What makes you belief that "open throat, pulling chest" technique or the specific source I know your getting that from, doesn't require or produce twang? Did someone lead you to believe that there is no twang in that sound?

But thank you for pointing out that my program does indeed teach vocal twang. It also teachers chest pulling, and the "pinged" / "la ah" vowel, and the same narrowed vowel modifications and more... if you are ready for those techniques. Many people are not... They just get more pushy, more choky, they can't do it... and the give up. 

• Administrator

Florence,

Twang has a real feeling to it. It feels like a very small, intrinsic squeeze inside the larynx, which is precisely what it is. It is a contraction of a small muscle called the Aryepiglottic Sphincter. When it contracts, it pulls on the adductors and assists in vocal fold closure and it narrows the vocal track, which has the effect of amplifying your voice. Vocal twang, because of the muscle contractions, also helps anchor the larynx for bridging and singing in the head voice, giving you stability. 

Back to the feeling... its a tiny squeeze, isolated, in your voice.

Quack like a duck... don't just say the word "quack", but really quack like a duck. Sound like a duck with all the "squeeze" in the larynx... when you do that, you are doing what we call "Quack Mode" at TVS. Quack Mode is the more, highly contracted/compressed/squeezed cousin of twang mode. But generally speaking, its the same movement. If you do that again, but lighten the squeeze so that it sounds more beautiful and not like a duck... you are twanging.

There are two primary compression vocal modes in TVS;

- Quack Mode

&

- Twang Mode

Quack is the ugly duckling, twang is the beautiful swan.

You should take lessons with a teacher that can teach you. I also offer lesson and a simple telephone consultation service. See my signature... hope this helps.

Rober i know where you think im getting that from and its not Sven Kamplin. It might be poor choice of words in explanation but let me correct myself. When speaking of twang i think of Tate and Halford unlike Dio or Dicjinson which i preffer. Now i didnt say dio isnt twanging im just saying it differs from the first two i mentioned. And what i was refering to is actually the Quack Vocal Mode and not really twang itself. Hope that makes more sense.

Btw i only own TFPOS so everything i say is interpretation of the pillars.

• Administrator

Sven Kamplin

Thats funny... Sven Kamplinsky... can we call him "Sven Kamplinsky"?  Jk...

Ok, no problem... I got to get my coffee... its my morning "bark" at Elvis... I think I understand what you mean... the added distortion from DIO would seem to suggest more air in the vocal tract, which could suggest, less compression sometimes. But Dickinson has a lot of compression, especially the solo stuff which is the best singing he ever did.

In regards to quack vs twang... I like to maintain that quack never is used in singing... unless your Donald Duck... but any good solid compression that is in that configuration, that is "singing", we should call it "twang". 

I think it needs to pointed out the Quack helps you find Twang.....Once you actually Find what is being manipulated and how to manipulate it .....you learn/train to control it........Apply when necessary.   It least that is what I understand.

Edit: manipulated is a bad word.....it is not manual manipulation but through mental and physical influences........Yeah, that makes it more clear...:huh:

oh my god, really overwhelmed by the number of responses! thanks ! the fact that there is real feeling when twanging relieves me...

I guess i should save up more money to buy the 4 pillars program >< ! in the mean time, have to do with all the avaible info i can find,

just another question:

so would you use twang in your lower, or like comfortable speaking range too?

once again, cant express my thanks enough!!!!!

No i dont think you would. Because twang is a tool that you use to gain cord clossure or compression and lower range is already comppressed (kinda). But i think that you could use it if you wanted to. But not sure

There is always a certain amount of twang necessary......Twang is sort of like the treble knob......if you do not want your low end to be lost or muddy sounding add a little twang.

• Administrator

I think it needs to pointed out the Quack helps you find Twang.....Once you actually Find what is being manipulated and how to manipulate it .....you learn/train to control it........Apply when necessary.   It least that is what I understand.

Edit: manipulated is a bad word.....it is not manual manipulation but through mental and physical influences........Yeah, that makes it more clear...:huh:

BINGO! Precisely... I have always said that we train Quack mode.. so that we can sing twang mode better. Quack is a vocal mode that is for resistance training... twang is the cousin of quack that gets to go to the show... 

• Administrator

No i dont think you would. Because twang is a tool that you use to gain cord clossure or compression and lower range is already comppressed (kinda). But i think that you could use it if you wanted to. But not sure

We most do twang in the chest voice bud... throughout the entire range of the voice... 

We most do twang in the chest voice bud... throughout the entire range of the voice... 

ah thanks maestro. i had the impression twang is mostly used in area around and above passagio to induce cord closure. Good to know.

• Administrator

Hmm? are you confusing twang with quack Elvis? Your posts seem to be hinting at the benefits and nature of quack mode. Quack is the "resistance" training, physical mode we use to train vocal fold compression strength... we don't really "workout" with twang... when you are training or singing and your trying to make an attractive sound color, you are twanging (hopefully... lol). If you are squeezing the AES , to work on compression in M1 or M2, and your a TVS student, you are likely doing a Q&R Onset work flow.

Florence,

I just wanted say when you sing in a twang mode as a beginner, it is not a "familiar" singing setup.  If you're not used to it, you can easily misconsrue it as squeezing or constricting when in fact, it is not. That's where a good voice teacher comes in, to make sure it's being produced correctly. 

With some exceptions, it's a very intentional method of voice production. 

• Administrator

Yes Ron, precisely. That is how we teach it at TVS.

Two "Compression" physical modes.

- Twang = Ligher compression = great for singing, no essential for singing.

- Quack = Hyper compression = The hyper-compressed cousin of Twang... what twang turns into if you keep contracting... used in training for resistance work that trains students the coordination of vocal fold compression and... strengthens that movement. Helpful at all registers of the voice, (... Elvis)... but particularly beneficial for most students to be trained in the head voice. NOT great for singing, sounds like duck, that why it is called "quack" mode.

Its often a little debate what to actually call twang. But let's put it this way: There is aphysiological action that contracts the aryepiglottic sphincter (AES) which also brings the folds together and adds a bright "ring" to the sound. This action is often referred to as "twanging" and the AES is often called the "twanger". 

Quack mode is basically using the maximum amount of AES contraction possible. Some people would just say that quack is an extreme form of twang.

However, in Estill terminology twang does not refer to the action of AES contraction but it refers to a vocal mode which has a medium amount of AES contraction. I think it is also used this way in TVS. In CVT for example twanging directly refers to AES contraction which means that quack would be just an extreme amount of twang.