WHAT HAVE I BEEN UP TO? SOME LIVE FOOTAGE AND MASTERCLASS EXCERPTS

Rate this topic

that band I'm playing with is "metal shop" which Steel Panther was originally ,they broke away from the company that puts all are bands together "perfect world entertainment". then they changed the name to Metal school then to steel panther. a bunch of ugly lawsuits.  but basically when "michael diamond" (ralph) would take a night off or get sick I was the sub. then when they split it just kept going. however they got huge(all very close friends of mine we played in original bands together as well.) The drummer playing with me here is Rick Springfields drummer. the drummer i usually do this gig with is Ray Luzier from"Korn". its all very insestuous...

• 3 weeks later...

You're amazing dude. One of the big reasons I signed up to this forum.

Steel Panther are my favourite band and Ralph Saenz was the dude who really inspired me to take singing seriously. Up until the start of last year I had been teaching and playing in corporate stuff much like yourself (only on guitar though) but when I heard 'Michael Starr' live down here in Melbourne Aus late 2013 it made me want to chase Vox  as hard as I chased guitar for 16 years. 

Of course I'm inspired by a host of different singers and styles now, especially guys like Paul Rogers, Sam Cooke, Mickey Thomas etc... but Ralph was the guy who initially lit the fuse. Myles Kennedy lit the fuse about 10 years ago when I was a kid (19) but I didn't have access to the information I have now and was basically told (by very reputable tertiary level teachers) I would be stuck being a crooner for the rest of my singing career. 

Keep inspiring Dan. And keep sharing your experience and expertise.

That's what is so inspiring about that band... They never ever gave up. Who knows how many starts, almost opportunities and then stops they all had throughout their own respective careers. I know Russ Parish taught at the musicians institute in the early 90's, joined a few high profile bands as a hired gun. From what I've read, Ralph had a very similar career path... A few high profile projects that never really took off. Good on them. They deserve all the success they can get.

There's a bunch of top-notch musicians who stayed working all the time, did not achieve certain levels of notoriety. Then again, some of the truly famous also went flat broke a number of times. Others who had brushes with fame, or something like it.

I have a theory. Possibly the tidal wave that was Nirvana could not happen today and here is why. The age of the digital download, the easy to use recording software that is pro grade, the ever-decreasing cost of equipment is allowing more people to share their music.

Back in the early 90's, it was not like this. Access to music was still controlled by the record companies. When Nirvana broke out, there was huge surge of sales for that album and a few others like it. Literally, within a week, all the record companies were trying to create the next Nirvana. Learn to wear flannel and doc martens or go pick cranberries. Heavy metal bands lost active tours and album deals within a month a lot literally did go back to getting a day job as mundane as that of Wahlberg's character in "Rockstar," repairing copiers for those who are not bright enough to put only paper in the copier and not poke pencils, paper clips, whatever.

With the recording companies only putting out grunge type of bands, we did not have the access to the other bands.

With the digital age, the record companies can no longer control what is released for us to hear. Ergo, you still like melodic heavy metal? There is a band or two out there, just for you, with an easy way to get their music.

• 2 weeks later...