Bruce Dickinson

Rate this topic

Musikman7002

Not so much of a topic just a shout out to Roberts take on Bruce Dickinson Solo Singing. I was wondering if I was alone in this thinking. I really love my Iron Maiden but sweet baby Jesus give me my Solo Dickinson lol Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding good stuff, and if you are liking Maiden but never tried some Solo Bruce go seek it out out pronto and turn it up LOUD :headbang:

If Dio never existed i would say Dickinson is THE VOICE of heavy metal/rock music. Status quo..alpha and omega.

But alas Dio did exist and i cant get over his death...too bad mainstream music wont allow another Dio Rainbow and sinilar bands. 70/80's..the time MUSIC was created for the sake of music and not money and empty fame.

People listen to gates of babylon to this day abd will continue to do the same. In a year or two all these "HITS" that are being produced by kesha rita ora and "musicians" like such will die away.

Sad time to live in.

If Dio never existed i would say Dickinson is THE VOICE of heavy metal/rock music. Status quo..alpha and omega.

But alas Dio did exist and i cant get over his death...too bad mainstream music wont allow another Dio Rainbow and sinilar bands. 70/80's..the time MUSIC was created for the sake of music and not money and empty fame.

People listen to gates of babylon to this day abd will continue to do the same. In a year or two all these "HITS" that are being produced by kesha rita ora and "musicians" like such will die away.

Sad time to live in.

So, now it is your turn to be the next Dio.

Bring back the use of the word "rainbow" in lyrics.

:headbang:

Dickinson is the "Big Hero" singer for me lol. He always has such an epic quality on the bombastic parts but I love how he can bring such a conversational quality to these versus as well he is not a one trick pony. I am such a fan of the those 80's singers Early Tate, Kiske, Dickinson, etc. So many singers today lack that richness of tone and character. I hear so many singers today that sound kinda like Fall out Boy etc but I can't tell one from the other but the 80's and early 90's produced some great classic voices while the last 15 years have kinda not been the best for producing great new rock singers imo.

• Administrator

Dickinson is the "Big Hero" singer for me lol. He always has such an epic quality on the bombastic parts but I love how he can bring such a conversational quality to these versus as well he is not a one trick pony. I am such a fan of the those 80's singers Early Tate, Kiske, Dickinson, etc. So many singers today lack that richness of tone and character. I hear so many singers today that sound kinda like Fall out Boy etc but I can't tell one from the other but the 80's and early 90's produced some great classic voices while the last 15 years have kinda not been the best for producing great new rock singers imo.

I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE BROTHER... I TOTALLY AGREE... THERE ARE GOOD SINGERS, BUT... unless you listening to some underground prog. metal streaming station, you seek to dig it out... the main stream offers very little in the way of singers like these guys. This is the era that inspired me to train and has a lot to do with who and what Im doing today. I know for a fact, that when I was 15... if coldplay was the best source of inspiration for me to become a professional singer and coach, I would not be doing this. That is NOT to suggest that coldplay dude isn't a good singer or the music isn't good. IT IS... I like that band a lot... they sound like U2 to me, but... I like U2, so I like their sound a lot and the singer is very talented and good...and all that credit where its due... but, as as musikman is pointing out... its just not the same thing... its good. But it isn't mind blowing and awe inspiring like this is...

Nobody sings like this anymore... nobody in any new bands even try... and I can tell you, the main reason for that is simply because... they can't. The coldplay dude could NEVER pull this off... no way. He doesn't have the strength and coordination for it. Neither could the radiohead guy or the Green Day guy... utterly impossible.  Not sure the younger members in here realize this... 

Hey guys... there was a time in the 70s and 80s when singers were... fucking mind blowing... today... its just not the same today... as far as rock and metal singers go... 

Yes, so true Robert. There is very few singing stuff in mainstream currently that is really impressive from a technical point of view. One exception maybe that comes to my mind would be Adam Lambert, who has really impressive light-mass singing skills. I don't really like his sound color so much, though, a little bit too bright for my taste.

In pop singing there seems to be a big tendency towards "speech-level" and "speech-like" singing techniques, which don't offer much in the high range. In rock singing there seems to be some kind of tendency towards "pulling chest" approaches as used historically by guys like James Hetfield or Chester Bennington.

I like how those singers and especially the style makes it "ok" to widen the vowels as much as they do (ex. EE > EH). In musical-theater for instance it's not so much accepted due to the very importance of lyric-intelligibility. 

I have always joked about if a metal-singer would sing James Browns' "I feel good" they would end up singing "I fail God" ;)

Now I need my coffee.

I like how those singers and especially the style makes it "ok" to widen the vowels as much as they do (ex. EE > EH). In musical-theater for instance it's not so much accepted due to the very importance of lyric-intelligibility. 

I have always joked about if a metal-singer would sing James Browns' "I feel good" they would end up singing "I fail God" ;)

Now I need my coffee.

Yeah i agree, but a singer like dickinson or similar skill level it's more of a choice rather then they have to :)  for the genre opening up is more cool

Now I need my coffee.

It used to bug me to hear  the Eh when expecting to hear another vowel.....Especially when trying to figure  out the words.   I guess that is why I could never sing those songs.

Yep, modifying the vowels has a lot to do with the desired tone (shouty tone in that case) or just being too lazy to switch the acoustic mode. Above the passaggio you are usually required to switch the mode when you switch the vowel. Below the passaggio you can be okay to sing closed vowels in Overdrive for example.

Just take the Refrain of Run to the Hills (I actually thought it was "Run to the Hells" when I first heard that song :bang:). Bruce sings it like:

R-OH-N T-OH TH-EH H-EH-LLS, R-OH-N F-OH Y-OH L-UH-IH-F. On the last word he actually switches to curbing because both vowels allow for it. On the first part he is just too lazy to switch modes so often or he just wants the shouty tone throughout the whole phrase.

And yes, in musical theatre there is a big focus on the lyrics being understandable because, well, in the end it's a form of theatre where the audience is meant to understand the story. In rock singing there is not so much focus on this. The extreme end of course being stuff like death metal where I often wonder why they even have lyrics :P

We should also not forget that natural speech also has some vowel modifications. Singing all vowels very precise and centered has a danger of sounding too theatry and unnatural.