So you think YOU suck?

Rate this topic

I have been asked about how I sang when I began training, I just found a rare jewel on one of my old hard drives.

Behold:

https://app.box.com/s/v3ts5y9mu4rygl2slvwrcju25u40ygjg

Pure power :) 

This was when I was first exploring how my voice sounded on recordings, 15 years ago more or less. And I WAS going to show this to people but my MOM told me it was not a good idea. :P ahahahah 

That did not suck for first exploring your voice.......You pretty much still have that tone.....You had Vibrato, range and the passaggio was not weak.......If I sounded like that now, on that song, I would be happy......For a couple of days anyway.....:headbang:

Ok, a little pitchy in spots and interesting choice of rhythmic phrasing, but great tone on that and excellent head voice with distortion.  I wish I could sing with that kind of distortion in my head voice!

Actually, Felipe, play the old recording of you doing a Deep Purple song.

This one was mainly a difference in tone and pronunciation of mostly vowels from what you do now.

If you are going to share a clip of bad singing, it needs to be bad singing, not just dissatisfied with the recording for whatever sound issues.

As far as not sharing this, that's a macho thing. Never, ever let someone see you at less than perfect. And that is part of what causes young people, who don't realize that you, the adult, are lying to them as easily as you breath, to think that some people are just borning singing well. Because the perfect singer never, ever shares moments of faltering or beginning. If they even talk about training at all and don't simply claim to have a piece of the Devil's vocal folds. (The Vocal Folds of Destiny.)

• Administrator

Yes, I admire that. It takes balls to do that.... and it is also a good mark of a good educator. Felipe chooses to humble himself on a public forum for the sole purpose of, teaching a lesson to others about how we can all improve and get better if we train hard. That is the lesson here folks... And Felipe should be admired for sharing this.

humm I realize without the prior section with some full singing the chipmunk falsetto does not deliver its awesomeness :P, Ive updated the track, still great tone thinking of how I was singing the previous part?

As requested, perfect strangers, also awesome:

https://app.box.com/s/wujnkn58ikvqqap8gl6k

Well I sincerely don´t know what the hell did you guys found of "good" in that tone, it sounds like a dying chipmunk, but I assure you that at the time the band I played in *requested* that I sang the ending of the song an octave bellow, and I have to thank them a lot for that hahaha :).

In my first experience with a real band they tried to get me to sing "Hotter than Hell". That didn't work out too well so they tried "Keep on Rockin" Me".......

I think they set me up to fail...:angry:..... The scars are still there..........Compared to those, Your tone was awesome for someone starting out.

It is not comparing your tone to what you sound like now...... It is comparing your tone to what we started out with.........

Uh oh, hilarious midi track aside and a few notes bent a bit too sour aside, I'm kind of digging this. At least the intro. Still getting to the end.

Ha. The end is charming. It's not the beefiest voice by a long shot, but it's got a lot of character. I can't think of any singer with this blend of distortion in this kind of register. As much as you might hate it, I can say in all honesty I hope a bit of this guy is still peeking through.

I've been thinking a lot about this as a singer, identity, as I get more skilled I can impersonate better and better. One day I may get skilled enough to impersonate pretty much anyone if I keep singing at the rate I've been singing at. It's not an aspiration at all, but the more I train the more I can do. But before all that I had my way too and apparently so did you.

I know there are a lot of things I've recorded that are easy to cringe at so I do know how you feel, but at the same time, character is character. It's the things that make people different that define it. Maybe it's not the most aesthetically appealing way to possibly sing the song for the average person, but it's different. I personally got more 'response' or engagement out of it than if you had nailed a Plant style vocal on the dot. For me, Plant already did that, so if someone does it again, I suppose it's impressive in a way, but it's not engaging in the same way.

To me there's something in there that has value. Something that could be grown, polished, sure. But something core. I don't know about anyone else, but I hope I can keep in touch with whatever that is as I train my voice.

lol singing like this with 15..i think felipe should be banned...its illegal to be that good xD

Haha, that's what I'm saying I know he was trying to make us feel better but to be honest compared to me at fifteen or even me fifteen minutes ago that was not so bad. :D

humm I realize without the prior section with some full singing the chipmunk falsetto does not deliver its awesomeness :P, Ive updated the track, still great tone thinking of how I was singing the previous part?

As requested, perfect strangers, also awesome:

https://app.box.com/s/wujnkn58ikvqqap8gl6k

Well I sincerely don´t know what the hell did you guys found of "good" in that tone, it sounds like a dying chipmunk, but I assure you that at the time the band I played in *requested* that I sang the ending of the song an octave bellow, and I have to thank them a lot for that hahaha :).

That's the one I was talking about. You had shared it a year or so ago in a similar thread just to show others that it doesn't matter what you are born with, or not, dedicated work and study create the beauty that is your voice, as it is now. It's not a matter of showing that your feet are also made of clay but a testament to awesome work ethic and desire. Which also makes you a good teacher. Teaching by example. And showing those who think they have problems that those problems can be solved.

Bravo, Felipe.

@killer oh yes, when I hear it NOW, I know what was doing wrong and I know of course what it could become heheh (but still there are a lot of things that I don't know how to do). But back then, this song for example seemed impossible to execute (and it was really frustrating). My training had some problems along the way, at first I lost a big deal of my identity I think, due to poor orientation unfortunately, but after I got back on track, listening my more recent recordings and listening to what I did back then, I find my voice is still very similar and very easy to identify.

One thing that I don't deny is that I had somewhat a good notion of pitch. At least when it came to major scales hahaha.

@guys ahahha well, it is bizarrely poor in my opinion, in a naive way, but clueless, and it renders some good laughs whenever I play it back ;).

@killer oh yes, when I hear it NOW, I know what was doing wrong and I know of course what it could become heheh (but still there are a lot of things that I don't know how to do). But back then, this song for example seemed impossible to execute (and it was really frustrating). My training had some problems along the way, at first I lost a big deal of my identity I think, due to poor orientation unfortunately, but after I got back on track, listening my more recent recordings and listening to what I did back then, I find my voice is still very similar and very easy to identify.

One thing that I don't deny is that I had somewhat a good notion of pitch. At least when it came to major scales hahaha.

@guys ahahha well, it is bizarrely poor in my opinion, in a naive way, but clueless, and it renders some good laughs whenever I play it back ;).

I forgive you for every bad review you have given me.... and now look at it as a compliment...... You just cannot recognize the good in imperfection.......:bang:

Naïve and clueless is a given for the uninitiated..( and at what point does that change?)  I think that is the point we are trying to make....To sound that good not knowing what the H%$$ you are doing.....is really something.....:D     Even if it did sound a little like a chipmunk being sacrificed......

Maybe compared to the singer you are now it was poor but as a guy just starting out I found it pretty impressive.  I still can't sing half the notes you were doing in that clip reliably to this day.  

hahahaha noooooooooooooooooooo 

Felipe, man, you just don't understand.  You may have the technique now but the soul and emotion you had back then was heartfelt brother.  When I hear that old clip I really felt your pain.  As you began to Axl Rose your way through that song I saw the stairway, the sign on the wall, the hedgerow, and even the piper himself, it was all there man.  Nowadays you have all this power, tone, range, clarity, skill, musicianship, confidence, operatic capabilities, teaching knowledge, etc, etc but you are missing that old nasal spark that tugs on the heart strings.