Defending Ann Wilson (Heart)

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Hi Folks, 

Here's a perfect example of a great (one of the absolute greatest) female rock vocalists being unduly critisized because she dared to defy convention.

I'm sure many of you have seen this performance by Ann Wilson of the Star Spangled banner where instead of taking the traditional high note, in this case a C5# (the anticipated note) she shot up a fourth to F5# then added a little riff on the way down. It was daring but, she also has that capability.

Those who know little about singing felt she was out of key, but clearly she was spot on.  It easy to see how we as performers are at the mercy of audiences' preconceived expectations. The risk of deviating from the norm in her rendition cost her negative publicity exacerbated by the impact of social media.

I.m.o., It's bad press she does not deserve.

Your thoughts?

The main problem with singing a standard is that the masses want to sing along.......When you go changing things it throws them a little.......like hitting a speed bump.....gives a little shock to their system.........

Ann is great and if not for being at a sports event where the crowd likes to sing along there would have been no problem........

This should never have been a slight towards Ann........I also remember Steven Tyler catching flack for singing this like Steven Tyler.......Go figure.....:)

I agree. Not one bad note in the whole thing. But I had not heard others saying they thought she was off pitch. Then, again, I try not to pay attention to idiots. Not always possible, but it is one of my daily goals.

hahaha Bob, I have nothing against her, she is great just by standing there.

But, well... The intention there was not a fourth, but a perfect fifth or a major third, that´s why it sounds strange to people. Perhaps the problem there was that she was above the normal key all the time?

Wasn't bad, the performance was good.  I think the affectation towards the end was probably not the most tasteful you could do but I don't mind a subtle change to the theme.  It's only obnoxious when people take the song and start riffing through every single line of the song lmao.  

MDEW has a point, though. It seems that anyone with a bit of a different take gets some heat. Steven Tyler. Even Rosanne Barr, who should have received applause only because she cannot sing but had the guts to do it, anyway.

So, it may be that, then. Anyone who does not sing the absolute original arrangment and key is subject to pillory. In which case, as soon as he gets better, we should invite Chad Kroger down here to sing the opener at a game. He would sing it fine but he is from Canada, which also seems to be prohibited. We have become a nation or even world of old ladies sitting around a knitting circle judging the reprobate world as it goes by.

Sure, that high note didn't seem perfectly executed - a little tight - but she recovered quickly with that cool descending pentatonic riff.  And compared to other singers performing that song in that live setting, I thought she did great.  This is a pressure cooker situation for a singer.  It's not like it is a regular song in any singer's set list.

How about the distortion and riff on the last word: "brave"?  I had to replay that one a couple times - perfectly executed with lots of attitude.

She sang almost the entire song straight - and only added a little improve at the end.  Most singers these days seem to be riffing over the whole thing, which, to me, gets excessive.  I think she used just the right amount of riffs in that song.  

I was listening to the whole thing and to a cellphone recording of someone in the audience there, everyone in the stadium seemed to love it, they were singing along. And the middle section, "and the rockets red glare..." tons of power, so great.

A pitty she messed it a bit on the ending for almost nothing, if she did the normal melody it would be still great. I don't see reason for such negative opinion as you mention (I did not see this, is there stuff on the TV criticizing?).

Felipe, correct if I'm wrong, but isn't 5 semitones higher a Fourth?

On the web....Some sites had to make a big deal out of it.

yea it is....Do Re Mi Fa ...if you take C D E F...its 5 semis...major fourth...if its C C# D# F..still 5 semitones... there are scales like harmonic where fourth can be 6 semitones but thats not what she is using

I thought you said it wasn't , sorry.

I think Felipe meant that Ann's intention may have been to sing A 3rd higher or a 5th higher than the original note rather than sing the 4th........The 3rd or 5th would have been more of a "normal" alteration. They are both natural harmonies. Although the 4th works it sounds as if she somehow missed her target.

It's hard to know exactly what she was going for. I don't think any great singer is ALWAYS 100 percent perfect live. She is still singing at an incredibly high level after all these years simply amazing. I think Steve Perry said about singing live is that although you always try to sing your best singing live is never having to say your sorry lol. :4:

I think the spoilsports criticizing her are just jealous because a woman in her fifties can still do a note like that. So, for those wanting to criticize her, I imagine their stress will go down once they quit worrying about her and concentrate on what's really important, like Fifty Cent declaring bankruptcy.

:4:

• Administrator

I have been watching these notifications come through... Ann is my homie. She is also a Maestro Kyle student incidentally... but, what is the issue here? This performance was super cool and sounded great. She is a ROCK singer, not a black "Diva" singer... she is a musty, old school, 70s and 80s rocker that kicked ass back then and still kicks ass today. Her pitch was pretty much sport on, she had a cool husky rock sound, her formants and vowels were well tuned and placed, vibrato was great, belts were strong... And she did a little riff on "Free" at the end... so what? 

This is a kick ass performance and Ann Wilson kicks ass, always has, always will... A true ROCK singer,... not a Diva, not a Jazzy singer, not an "American Idol", TV talent show singer... she is a sexy, hard rocker...  so take that home to momma and go listen to this.

I do not think anyone in this thread was knocking on Ann. She kicks ass and any singer knows that......Apparently she was getting bad press for this performance.

Videohere wrote:   

Those who know little about singing felt she was out of key, but clearly she was spot on.  It easy to see how we as performers are at the mercy of audiences' preconceived expectations. The risk of deviating from the norm in her rendition cost her negative publicity exacerbated by the impact of social media.

I.m.o., It's bad press she does not deserve.

Your thoughts?

For my own part, I was speculating on why a non singer might feel that she was out of key,

• Administrator

Forgive me guys, I just perused... 

Why ask for forgiveness ? I was thinking the exact same thing. I've seen Ann in several concerts over the years (usually "Heart" opening for other bands), and she definitely Kicks Ass !!! In fact, IMO her voice has improved over the years !!!