How to stand on stage

Rate this topic

DancingGuy

Hey folks, I've made a short how-to video that I thought might be useful to you. It came from watching videos of myself performing and wondering how I was managing to move so damn strangely. Fast forward through four years of dancing lessons, and I've tried to distil down the knowledge I've acquired in to a simple default step to help people feel better and keep the audience engaged. I hope it is useful to you all.

http://www.thatdancingchap.com/?p=5

Diamond Dave looked a little scarey to me.....:huh:  The rest of the guys looked like they were just having fun, but dave looked like he was forcing a smile......

DancingGuys info was pretty cool....:)

And my point is not to diminish Dancingguy's point, but to show that you do best when you find your own style, even if it starts from a small wiggle or motion.

Each performer does his thing for stage presence. Mick Jagger tries to cover as much of the stage as possible. Diamond Dave provides a lot of flash, even if doesn't need as much actual floor space. Then, there's one other video that doesn't require a lot of dancing but the body motions provide the emotion that is meant.

DancingGuy - Thanks for the video.  You covered the basics starting with the posture, the legs and finally the arms.  Nicely done.  Singers are expected to look good on stage, but natural looking body movements are not covered when taking singing lessons.  And not everyone is "naturally" good at it.

If you are singing classical music, it's pretty easy - you don't have to move at all.  But if you are singing contemporary music, like rock or R&B, your body needs to move with the groove.  And if you look awkward, it doesn't matter how good your singing technique is, it will detract from your performance.  So body movements are part of the your performance package, and it is important.  The good thing is you don't have to be an expert dancer.  You just have reach kind of a minimum threshold of not looking awkward and being comfortable with yourself.

Good points Geno, I would like to add that a Big part of stage fright is not about sounding good but looking like fool and not knowing what to do with your self. Sure you may have practiced the one or two spots in the song where you want to put that extra emphasis, That wide open pose that looks like you are giving the audience a hug, but what about the rest of the song? You don't what to stand there with that Death grip on the Mike stand like it is the only thing holding you up. (been there)

So thank you DancingGuy for the tips to help us not look like a deer caught in headlights while we are delivering our heartfelt, glass shattering, emotion filled Love Ballad or Rock Anthem